Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:29 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Exactly.....you want me to pay for the raising of your first child.....you don't get a second one you can't afford to raise....

Amen Northwinds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM

381 posts, read 506,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Rubbish.
I would like to see more effort on mandatory birth control.
LoL... raising taxes to cover mandatory birth control and drug testing for the underprivileged is unproductive. i'd rather pay taxes for providing mental health treatment to get these welfare recipients back into the work force.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
LoL... raising taxes to cover mandatory birth control and drug testing for the underprivileged is unproductive. i'd rather pay taxes for providing mental health treatment to get these welfare recipients back into the work force.
Divine Shadow......
Are you saying it's cheaper to continue to provide free healthcare for children vs. the cost of a birth controls shot? Seriously? I'm going to need to see the calculations on that theory.

I think it's fair to say......if you need help w/ one child you do not have the right (while on welfare) to continue to grow you family on taxpayer dollars. That's not right. Something is wrong when a married , middle -class working family, chooses not to have more kids waiting for a better economy and stabilty
BUT
Another person chooses to have babies at will and just increase the money given to her on welfare.

Help me to understand the logic.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatgirl007 View Post
Rubbish.
I would like to see more effort on mandatory birth control.
There simply needs to be no incentive from the government to go on the dole after having children, period. That's a big reason why many of our major cities have been in the shape they've been in for the past few decades..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Wouldn't it simply be better to outright encourage public schools and the state community service boards who operate these public health centers to aggressively educate people on using contraceptives?

But I forget; the Christian conservatives who seem to have a giant hold over our state government would be in an uproar about it and will work incessantly to undermine such efforts.

Sometimes I just don't get southern conservatism; The proponents of this contradictory thought process hate dealing with welfare kids who are born out-of-wedlock, but at the same time these same folks undermine the very efforts that would prevent the birth of so many OOW kids in the first place.

Just one more reason why southern conservative politics truly show time and again why this ideology deserves a major league FAIL.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 AM

21 posts, read 40,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Wouldn't it simply be better to outright encourage public schools and the state community service boards who operate these public health centers to aggressively educate people on using contraceptives?
Your proposal is a FAIL. I have several employees who have watched their teenage daughters get pregnant even after they bought the birth control for their daughters! They did everything but shove the pill down their throats.

You can educate all you want (whether at home or at school) but that isn't going to change the mentality that having babies and getting checks is the way to go for the current generation, especially given the current state of the economy.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Great. Cue in the Sean Hannity prelates with their almost religious-like anti-single mother screeds. There's been too much of that on here already.

I wish someone on here would at least come at me with a decent well-thought counter-reply.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:44 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Mandatory birth control is a slippery slope as well. So now we are advocating searches with no prior suspicion or reason, as well as forced birth control for women. Ok, so are we going to watch as they take the pill (and make sure they don't vomit it back up), or administer the shots via some complicated government agency to track and link shots to TANF checks? Remember we are talking about STATE welfare benefits, not federal. (or are we proposing a new federal department of reproductive compliance here?)

What if you take the pill but still get pregnant? Do we cut off your check that month? Tough love and all... but what about kids who are hungry and wearing two day old soiled diapers? It's not their fault. I guess we'll just make them wards of the state. That's working out pretty well for all of the kids in foster care now (not so much).

How about mandatory birth control or gov't sterilization for the 49 million food stamp recipients? Those lousy bums can't even afford to feed themselves!

Keep in mind that welfare and food stamps are often temporary assistance! So you people want the *government* to test and force medical procedures on people who are usually only down on their luck for a short time.

Anybody could lose a job and request temporary cash for needy families (TANF), which is the state welfare program. I can't believe we think those folks should then give up all rights because they end up taking a few of our precious tax dollars. Meanwhile, bank bailouts, corporate welfare (GM), and endless wars are bleeding us dry, but we are all riled up about a *few* folks who are on welfare and doing drugs.

Boggled down in minutia while the house burns down is what we are.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Two Georgia lawmakers want welfare recipients to take drug tests, a controversial policy that’s been struck down as unconstitutional in other states, reports the Athens Banner-Herald.

Rep. Jason Spencer, (R-Woodbine), and Sen. John Albers, (R-Roswell), said Thursday they plan to introduce legislation to require people to pass a drug test if they are applying to receive cash welfare.

Two Ga. lawmakers want drug tests for welfare recipients - Atlanta Business Chronicle
There is nothing wrong with this and why its not already in place is beyond me. You take drug tests for jobs why not for welfare?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Now one of these same legislators who is saying that people who get unemployment benefits should volunteer 24 hours a week for a nonprofit charitable organization.

What if you're busy looking for a job or doing something else? How in tarnation are you going to do volunteer work?

Lawmaker wants jobless to perform mandatory community service to receive unemployment benefits | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta