Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,623,081 times

Advertisements

Drug tests aren't cheap, even the simple urine test can cost $30 per use. When you multiply that by thousands of people my guess is that from a cost-benefits analysis standpoint it's simply not worth it. That is assuming that the purpose is to remove people from the welfare rolls. If the purpose is simply to apply the same rules to welfare recipients as we have from our employers, I would think we'd have better use of our money, especially given the lack of funding we're already experiencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 PM

840 posts, read 2,088,428 times
I like the idea, but its not a good idea. It affects children who have no say if they are on welfare are not.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,535,143 times
Funny how the smaller gubmint crowd screams and clamors for this sort of thing when it is probably one of the most invasive things imaginable. What's to stop them from drug testing for student loans, Social Security, Medicare, etc.?

But I guess it's only fair since they made those bankers and CEO's who took taxpayer bailouts take drug tests before giving them their money.

They did, didn't they?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,840 times
I am a Republican and I feel that if you are going to get welfare you should not be using drugs! Maybe to save money they could do random drug test. Possibly they could do 10% of recepients a month or something. Welfare really needs to be reformed.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:17 AM

840 posts, read 2,088,428 times
From my understanding welfare abuse and fraud is actually very low. People who are apart of these programs actually qualify for the program based on the requirements.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 AM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I like the idea, but its not a good idea. It affects children who have no say if they are on welfare are not.
In Florida, another relative can be designated as the recipient of funds for the children if the parent/guardian fails the drug test. Seems to me to be self-defeating.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:42 AM

541 posts, read 1,146,049 times
Default Follow the $$$$

Ok so I had to chime in, even though my status is usually "lurker."

From what I know, the present Gov. Of FL is a majority owner in a lab testing facility, guess which facility was used for the majority of the tests, yah you guessed it!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:24 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Funny how the smaller gubmint crowd screams and clamors for this sort of thing when it is probably one of the most invasive things imaginable. What's to stop them from drug testing for student loans, Social Security, Medicare, etc.?

But I guess it's only fair since they made those bankers and CEO's who took taxpayer bailouts take drug tests before giving them their money.

They did, didn't they?
Great points, DTL. All those bankers and CEOs who took taxpayer bailouts should have been put on probation and required to report in weekly in person and undergo random testing.

As far as Social Security and Medicare, no one should get one dime more than they paid in, but you shouldn't have to undergo testing just to get your own money back.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,804,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Drug tests aren't cheap, even the simple urine test can cost $30 per use. When you multiply that by thousands of people my guess is that from a cost-benefits analysis standpoint it's simply not worth it. That is assuming that the purpose is to remove people from the welfare rolls. If the purpose is simply to apply the same rules to welfare recipients as we have from our employers, I would think we'd have better use of our money, especially given the lack of funding we're already experiencing.
Exactly. Taxpayers in FL are paying a good bit of money per test, and we're not "catching" very many druggies. The cost of the tests far outweights the savings!!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:47 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,033,653 times
And I'm pretty sure that the drug abused most by public assistance recipients is the same mostly abused by those not on public assistance, and it's perfectly legal: alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta