Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,237,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
When the Red line gets extended, that map makes it clear what a huge gap there is to the northwest.
They probably should shift the map legend over to the left side to make use of the free space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Hope that was you, forthwarden, posting to r/atlanta this morning. Hope nobody was stealing your work!

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
They probably should shift the map legend over to the left side to make use of the free space
Naw, I got plans for that North West cornner.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:39 AM

I thought this was a realistic possibilities map

Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
The Cumberland Improvement District is fighting for mass transit. They are seeing a decline relative to the Perimeter Mall area. The Braves are going to want something. It will happen. But Gwinnett will probably happen first.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Hope that was you, forthwarden, posting to r/atlanta this morning. Hope nobody was stealing your work!
Yeup, it was me!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Well, MARTA could, at the least, get rail to cumberland, and a top-end perimeter line would mostly fall inside city of Atlanta and Fulton County.

If Cobb decided to build out anything on rails, they would, as The Atlanta Streetcar did, have to have MARTA on as contracted consultants/opperators for a time before they were given full control by the FTA over the cobb pky line.

That's mostly what i mean.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:20 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
That's the black hole of transit known as Cobb County. They believe all good God-fearing white people should drive a SUV, alone.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:34 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Excellent MARTA rail transit expansion concepts by fourthwarden!

I think that Gold Line that fourthwarden proposed on his map will eventually be extended from the Gwinnett Place area to the Gwinnett Center complex area (especially seeing as though Gwinnett boosters desperately want rail transit access to the Gwinnett Center complex area) and the Mall of Georgia area.

I also like the proposed Peach lines that fourthwarden drew on his map in Gwinnett County out to Buford (by way of the NS/Southern Railway corridor) and Dacula and in Clayton County down to Lovejoy.

I think that south Peach Line will be extended south to Hampton where it will service the major event center at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I think that the proposed Peach-colored line to Buford will likely be extended just a few miles to the north so that there will be a stop for the popular recreation/resort area at Lake Lanier.

I think that the Peach-colored line that is proposed to operate out to Dacula will be upgraded to a state-operated regional high-capacity rail transit line (regional HRT, express/commuter rail) that will operate between the Atlanta Airport and the University of Georgia at Athens (...the famed "Brain Train" line that is proposed to connect the Atlanta University Center, Georgia State University, Georgia Tech, Emory University, Georgia Gwinnett College and the University of Georgia...a line which has the potential to be one of the most-popular rail transit lines in the entire Western Hemisphere).

And I think that all three of the Peach-colored lines that fourthwarden drew on his map will likely all operate as regional Heavy Rail Transit lines (with regional commuter rail service in the form of express HRT trains where applicable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The Cumberland Improvement District is fighting for mass transit. They are seeing a decline relative to the Perimeter Mall area. The Braves are going to want something. It will happen. But Gwinnett will probably happen first.
This is an excellent point.

I agree that there is a good chance that high-capacity passenger rail transit service will eventually be implemented to the Cumberland area.

I also agree that the construction of the new Braves' stadium likely increases the possibility that rail transit service will eventually be implemented to the Cumberland area.

Though, I think if rail transit service is ever to be implemented to the Cumberland area and traditionally transit-averse areas like Cobb and Gwinnett counties, that the State of Georgia is likely going to have to play a major role (if not the lead role) in helping to get rail transit service operating in areas outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Not only do I think that areas like Cumberland (and Cobb County) and Gwinnett County, etc, will eventually receive rail transit service, I think that a line may likely connect Cobb and Gwinnett counties by way of the I-285 Top End Perimeter (by way of Cumberland, Perimeter Center and Doraville).

I think that such an east-west Cobb/Gwinnett/I-285 Top End rail transit corridor will operate between Acworth and Buford and eventually even between Cartersville and Gainesville as a regional Heavy Rail Transit line that potentially also provides regional commuter service in the form of express regional HRT trains.

I also think that such an east-west Cobb/Gwinnett/I-285 Top End rail transit corridor will likely be funded with a large-scale state-commissioned P3 (Public-Private Partnership).

In regards to providing the Cumberland area (and Cobb County) with north-south connectivity to Central Atlanta, I think that the Cumberland area (and Cobb County) may eventually receive TWO (or three) north-south high-capacity passenger rail transit connections to Atlanta, one via I-75 and the US 41 Cobb Parkway corridor and one via the CSX-W&A Railroad/Marietta Blvd/Marietta Street corridor.

I think that, like the probable east-west line, the two potential north-south lines will likely be regional HRT lines that potentially carry regional commuter rail service in the form of express regional HRT trains.

Local regional HRT service will operate on all three potential N-S Cobb HRT corridors between Cartersville and ATL Airport, and between Canton and ATL Airport, while express/regional/interurban train service will operate to as far away as Chattanooga and the Blue Ridge, GA/Murphy, NC area in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia and Southwestern North Carolina.

All future rail transit upgrades and expansions will likely be fully funded with large-scale P3's (Public-Private Partnerships) and distance-based fares.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:06 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Excellent MARTA rail transit expansion concepts by fourthwarden!

I think that Gold Line that fourthwarden proposed on his map will eventually be extended from the Gwinnett Place area to the Gwinnett Center complex area (especially seeing as though Gwinnett boosters desperately want rail transit access to the Gwinnett Center complex area) and the Mall of Georgia area.

I also like the proposed Peach lines that fourthwarden drew on his map in Gwinnett County out to Buford (by way of the NS/Southern Railway corridor) and Dacula and in Clayton County down to Lovejoy.

I think that south Peach Line will be extended south to Hampton where it will service the major event center at the Atlanta Motor Speedway.

I think that the proposed Peach-colored line to Buford will likely be extended just a few miles to the north so that there will be a stop for the popular recreation/resort area at Lake Lanier.

I think that the Peach-colored line that is proposed to operate out to Dacula will be upgraded to a state-operated regional high-capacity rail transit line (regional HRT, express/commuter rail) that will operate between the Atlanta Airport and the University of Georgia at Athens (...the famed "Brain Train" line that is proposed to connect the Atlanta University Center, Georgia State University, Georgia Tech, Emory University, Georgia Gwinnett College and the University of Georgia...a line which has the potential to be one of the most-popular rail transit lines in the entire Western Hemisphere).

And I think that all three of the Peach-colored lines that fourthwarden drew on his map will likely all operate as regional Heavy Rail Transit lines (with regional commuter rail service in the form of express HRT trains where applicable).

This is an excellent point.

I agree that there is a good chance that high-capacity passenger rail transit service will eventually be implemented to the Cumberland area.

I also agree that the construction of the new Braves' stadium likely increases the possibility that rail transit service will eventually be implemented to the Cumberland area.

Though, I think if rail transit service is ever to be implemented to the Cumberland area and traditionally transit-averse areas like Cobb and Gwinnett counties, that the State of Georgia is likely going to have to play a major role (if not the lead role) in helping to get rail transit service operating in areas outside of Fulton and DeKalb counties.

Not only do I think that areas like Cumberland (and Cobb County) and Gwinnett County, etc, will eventually receive rail transit service, I think that a line may likely connect Cobb and Gwinnett counties by way of the I-285 Top End Perimeter (by way of Cumberland, Perimeter Center and Doraville).

I think that such an east-west Cobb/Gwinnett/I-285 Top End rail transit corridor will operate between Acworth and Buford and eventually even between Cartersville and Gainesville as a regional Heavy Rail Transit line that potentially also provides regional commuter service in the form of express regional HRT trains.

I also think that such an east-west Cobb/Gwinnett/I-285 Top End rail transit corridor will likely be funded with a large-scale state-commissioned P3 (Public-Private Partnership).

In regards to providing the Cumberland area (and Cobb County) with north-south connectivity to Central Atlanta, I think that the Cumberland area (and Cobb County) may eventually receive TWO (or three) north-south high-capacity passenger rail transit connections to Atlanta, one via I-75 and the US 41 Cobb Parkway corridor and one via the CSX-W&A Railroad/Marietta Blvd/Marietta Street corridor.

I think that, like the probable east-west line, the two potential north-south lines will likely be regional HRT lines that potentially carry regional commuter rail service in the form of express regional HRT trains.

Local regional HRT service will operate on all three potential N-S Cobb HRT corridors between Cartersville and ATL Airport, and between Canton and ATL Airport, while express/regional/interurban train service will operate to as far away as Chattanooga and the Blue Ridge, GA/Murphy, NC area in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia and Southwestern North Carolina.

All future rail transit upgrades and expansions will likely be fully funded with large-scale P3's (Public-Private Partnerships) and distance-based fares.
@B2R

I posted this on another thread, but the discussion fits here as well:

TxDOT moving past the highway, albeit slowly - Houston Chronicle

The system we have got now is not infinitely scalable,” said David Ellis, a senior researcher with the Texas A&M Transportation Institute. “That is not to say we do not need to add all the capacity we can afford to add, because we do. But it is still not enough.”
Ellis and others briefed the Texas Transportation Commission Wednesday following a detailed presentation from the state demographer’s office. Texas is growing rapidly, something a blip in the oil and gas market isn’t likely to slow for long.
Houston, along with every metro area in the state, is experiencing the brunt of that population boom. In many cases metro areas are expanding on the suburban fringe while increasing density in established areas closer to the core.

Tryon Lewis, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission
Tryon Lewis, chairman of the Texas Transportation Commission

“When you get to certain population density, we have to think about what will transportation look like and what must it look like,” said Tryon Lewis, chairman of the transportation commission and a former state representative from Odessa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta