Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times

Advertisements

I'll ask again...same thing I've asked before...do we have ridership studies and details that indicate that these rail lines will be ridden and self sustaining? Or...will we have more trains to nowhere that have to be heavily subsidized by the gov't the way Amtrak has been for 40 years?

I travel back and forth to Charlotte from Atlanta at least twice per month. I would love to leave my car at home and take a train, allowing me to relax or work on the ride. However, when you look at the specifics....is it practical? How many business travelers will do it?

First, I have to drive my car to the station in Atlanta (or take a cab at some cost). I then have to pay for my train ticket, which by all assumptions from my time on the Acela riding between Boston and NYC will be high. Then, I have to rent a car or take a cab at another cost when I get to Charlotte, since I'll need to get to my office and to other appointments in the area. On top of that, I have to go and return based on the train schedule.

Contrast that with what I do now....I leave my house when I want, and I'm in Charlotte roughly 4 hours later. When I want to come home, I leave Charlotte. It costs me roughly a tank and a half of fuel.

I know many of you will make the case that it's the environmental impacts that matter, and I don't disagree, but it has to be convenient and cost effective. For many business travelers like me, it may not be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:13 AM

16,689 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think there should be a direct line between Atlanta and Savannah. That makes more sense. According the more recent map, the planned line connects to the coastal line somewhere between Savannah and Jacksonville (around Brunswick?).

Jesup--inland and northwest of Brunswick.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:30 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
This is all part of the "Southeast Corridor" project, which aims to extent high speed rail from D.C. as far South as Atlanta and Jacksonville.

Southeast Corridor

As high speed service is extended down into North Carolina - which it will be within the next few years - it will then fall on South Carolina and Georgia to complete the rest of the puzzle.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:35 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,844,597 times
Thats not HSR , thats Intercity Rail. I really hope the FTA and FRA redo there speed classifications because there really confusing and vary region to region. You can't tell the people of the South , that 110mph is HSR and then tell the people of the Northeast that 150mph+ is HSR.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:03 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hows your MARTA funding going? Its pretty predictable for the South , it will be a long time before you have any true HSR lines down there...
That may be true especially with Southwest buying out Air Tran, traveling should become easier.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
That may be true especially with Southwest buying out Air Tran, traveling should become easier.
Exactly, and air travel will always be easier when you have to go more than 200 miles. Who wants to sit on a train from Atlanta to DC when you can be there in under 2 hours by plane at the same or even lower cost?

Every time this discussion comes up, people forget that the US is not Europe or Japan, where distances are much smaller. Doesn't anyone stop to think why the railroads lost business to begin with in the 1950s? It was because of the introduction of both the Interstate highways and relaible jet service.

When I consider a short trip like Charlotte, it's currently at the break even point from a time perspective between flying and driving. Taking a high speed train could be another equal choice. When you then consider convenience and cost, as said before, driving is generally more convenient. The same calculus was true between NY and Boston, with a huge difference being that I could step off the train in Midtown Manhattan, and I had many way to get to my ultimate destination. The same is not true in Charlotte or other small cities in the south.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
Usually I am made to sound like a broken record reiterating those very points, but neil is saving me the trouble in this thread and doing a great job at it. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:30 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
.. a huge difference being that I could step off the train in Midtown Manhattan, and I had many way to get to my ultimate destination.
An excellent post, Neil. The part I highlighted would be a major consideration for me, and that final leg is often complicated even in corridors with heavy transit. A few years ago I had a project that required considerable travel between NYC and New Haven and it was still difficult to make the Connecticut end work via train.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
An excellent post, Neil. The part I highlighted would be a major consideration for me, and that final leg is often complicated even in corridors with heavy transit. A few years ago I had a project that required considerable travel between NYC and New Haven and it was still difficult to make the Connecticut end work via train.
To be clear, getting from an airport isn't much easier or cheaper in most cases, such as Charlotte. Hence the reason I drive.

When the trip is further, then driving isn't practical, so air travel is much more of a viable option, even with the need to rent a car or take a cab. A train would be the worst of both worlds. A longer trip AND the need for a rental car or cab.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Right, I understand. We have to go to Savannah fairly often and have to make the same calculation. Even if you have a plane it's still a close call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta