Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are moving to Atlanta, my wife will be working in Emory, since I tarvel a lot, we want to live close to her work place, and also in a good school district, we have a middle school kid and a high school kid,

We heard east cobb and north fulton are good, is it too far away from Emory? will the one-way commute time less than 45 minutes?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 09:15 PM

16,713 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl678 View Post
Hi,

We are moving to Atlanta, my wife will be working in Emory, since I tarvel a lot, we want to live close to her work place, and also in a good school district, we have a middle school kid and a high school kid,

We heard east cobb and north fulton are good, is it too far away from Emory? will the one-way commute time less than 45 minutes?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks

If you're looking for something similar to East Cobb and North Fulton with much, much better access to Emory (East Cobb and North Fulton are not convenient/close to Emory at all), check out the Parkview Area and Brookwood Area in Gwinnett County.

The high schools are Parkview High or Brookwood High.

The middle schools are Trickum Middle (feeds into Parkview), Crews Middle (feeds into Brookwood), or Five Forks Middle (feeds into Brookwood).

The Parkview/Brookwood Area is beautiful as well.

Some helpful links:

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&0~QuickLinks

Parkview High

Trickum Middle

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...w&0~QuickLinks

Brookwood High

Crews Middle

Five Forks Middle

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...HS_650x450.jpg

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-m...HS_650x450.jpg

*Other posters will chime in with many other areas/good school districts that are convenient to Emory (Like I said above, Parkview/Brookwood offer you something very similar to East Cobb and North Fulton, but with relative convenience to Emory.).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 09-12-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 06:10 AM

461 posts, read 1,069,549 times
You should look into city of Decatur schools, much closer to Emory, great school system.
The schools are Renfroe Middle Schoool and Decatur High.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM

426 posts, read 1,447,258 times
I would think that the commute from either East Cobb or North Fulton to Emory, at least at rush hour, would be tough. Non-rush hour I would guess a 30-minute commute. I am at about 400 and 285 and it takes me 20 minutes to get to Emory not during rush hour (I don't work there, but collaborate with some faculty there). North Fulton would be another 10 minutes from where I live, depending on where you are in East Cobb. East Cobb probably another 15, again depending on where you are.

aries4118 is absolutely right about Parkview/Brookwood being more similar to East Cobb. City of Decatur would be as affluent, but politically very different. City of Decatur is very liberal, East Cobb very conservative. Just depends on where you fit. I would say North Fulton a bit less conservative than East Cobb (but probably just a bit).

In terms of other neighborhoods convenient to Emory, I would recommend Leafmore, Oakgrove, and Sagamore Hills. Lots of people from Emory live in these neighborhoods because they are quite convenient to campus (not as liberal as Decatur, but far less conservative than East Cobb). All of these areas feed into Dekalb County schools which has some problems, but most all of the schools in these areas are great. Oakgrove Elementary is generally considered the best elementary school in this area, but all of the others are quite good. I would recommend areas that are zoned for Lakeview high school over Druid Hills high school; but Druid Hills is fine.

If you are interested in living in an older neighborhood in Atlanta city proper, you will find lots of Emory folks in Candler Park and Lake Claire. Very good public schools in these neighborhoods (Mary Lin Elementary, Inman Middle, Grady High School). Also in Virginia Highlands, but a tad farther from Emory (although still less than 15 minutes, all on surface streets).

Sorry for the broad generalizations about the politics of places, but comparing East Cobb to City of Decatur is such an apples to oranges comparison IMO that I thought I should bring it up.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumboula View Post
I would think that the commute from either East Cobb or North Fulton to Emory, at least at rush hour, would be tough. Non-rush hour I would guess a 30-minute commute. I am at about 400 and 285 and it takes me 20 minutes to get to Emory not during rush hour (I don't work there, but collaborate with some faculty there). North Fulton would be another 10 minutes from where I live, depending on where you are in East Cobb. East Cobb probably another 15, again depending on where you are.

aries4118 is absolutely right about Parkview/Brookwood being more similar to East Cobb. City of Decatur would be as affluent, but politically very different. City of Decatur is very liberal, East Cobb very conservative. Just depends on where you fit. I would say North Fulton a bit less conservative than East Cobb (but probably just a bit).

In terms of other neighborhoods convenient to Emory, I would recommend Leafmore, Oakgrove, and Sagamore Hills. Lots of people from Emory live in these neighborhoods because they are quite convenient to campus (not as liberal as Decatur, but far less conservative than East Cobb). All of these areas feed into Dekalb County schools which has some problems, but most all of the schools in these areas are great. Oakgrove Elementary is generally considered the best elementary school in this area, but all of the others are quite good. I would recommend areas that are zoned for Lakeview high school over Druid Hills high school; but Druid Hills is fine.

If you are interested in living in an older neighborhood in Atlanta city proper, you will find lots of Emory folks in Candler Park and Lake Claire. Very good public schools in these neighborhoods (Mary Lin Elementary, Inman Middle, Grady High School). Also in Virginia Highlands, but a tad farther from Emory (although still less than 15 minutes, all on surface streets).

Sorry for the broad generalizations about the politics of places, but comparing East Cobb to City of Decatur is such an apples to oranges comparison IMO that I thought I should bring it up.

Good post...the only thing is that I would say East Cobb is more moderately conservative...more center-right than far-right.

And the high school is actually called Lakeside High (not Lakeview).

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,277,400 times
Definitely look at Decatur as an alternative to East Cobb unless your wife wants to spend LOTS of time in traffic every day.

Decatur is a wonderful small college town with a good school system, lots of parks, cute shops, excellent restaurants, and a MARTA rail station in the center of town (so if you travel via the airport you won't need to drive).

City of Decatur, GA

Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM

426 posts, read 1,447,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
And the high school is actually called Lakeside High (not Lakeview).
Ooops, going back to my New Orleans days. Of course the Lakeview there is near a lake, whereas I don't think Lakeside is (perhaps a small pond tucked in the back?).

Old 09-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Ooops, going back to my New Orleans days. Of course the Lakeview there is near a lake, whereas I don't think Lakeside is (perhaps a small pond tucked in the back?).
Yes, a pond/lake...and Echo Lake (and other lakes) is/are nearby...you know how we call our ponds here in Metro Atlanta/North Georgia lakes...

Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
When built, Lakeside was on the edge of Silver Lake; the lake, sadly, was drained some years later, and no longer exists.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
When built, Lakeside was on the edge of Silver Lake; the lake, sadly, was drained some years later, and no longer exists.

Where was this lake? What's there now?

There's also a Silver Lake in North Atlanta:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...6&z=15&iwloc=A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: