Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 10,630 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance for helping. I am trying to find out how far north I can live in East Cobb, without exceeding a 40 minute drive to Home Depot Corp office.

The Home Depot Corp offices are located right in the pocket where I-75 & 285 meet, north of 285, east of 75.

I am looking at homes in East Cobb only, especailly around great elementry schools.

So can anyone make recommendations on where to live in East Cobb and have a less than 40 minute coummute to HD Corp? And maybe a realty check on traffic in general for East Cobb in the prime traffic times?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You can live anywhere in East Cobb and do that commute in 40 minutes on most days. Unless you're really close to 75, you'll probably be better off taking back roads down there in most cases, but even then 40 minutes should be doable.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 10,630 times
Default More feedback please

Wow, that is surprising. Someone just told me they move to the 120 loop, and the commute was an hour and 20 minutes to HD Corp...

So can I live above the 120 loop and still make it, with back roads, in under 40 minutes?

Regards,
LG

Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
They must be going in at 8:30 and driving 120 to 75 to 285. I commute to downtown from way out in Cherokee County, and I can make it home in an hour and 15 minutes most days either via 75 to 575, or via backroads starting around Delk Road through East Cobb. I'm starting 10 miles south of HD HQ, and I'm heading further north than East Cobb, so you do the math.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,570 times
I live in Johns Creek (which is further east than East Cobb) and my commute to Home Depot's Corp. offices @ 6:30 am is 45 mins. You should easily be able to get to Depot from E. Cobb in <45 mins.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOGii View Post
The Home Depot Corp offices are located right in the pocket where I-75 & 285 meet, north of 285, east of 75.
Technically, it's right off Paces Ferry Road at the point where it crosses 285. That's where my wife works.

Quote:
I am looking at homes in East Cobb only, especailly around great elementry schools.
Depending on your requirements, some areas of Smyrna or even Vinings would be a LOT closer, and there are folks here who believe that the schools are on par with the ones in East Cobb.

I don't have an opinion about the schools myself (we don't have kids), but the area itself is very nice.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Default Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Technically, it's right off Paces Ferry Road at the point where it crosses 285. That's where my wife works.

Depending on your requirements, some areas of Smyrna or even Vinings would be a LOT closer, and there are folks here who believe that the schools are on par with the ones in East Cobb.

I don't have an opinion about the schools myself (we don't have kids), but the area itself is very nice.
First, you might want to check out some of the school/neighborhoods in the Smyrna/Vinings/Mableton area. There are some great schools and neighborhoods. Recommendations:

Elementary
Teasley
King Springs
Brown
Nickajack
Mableton

Middle
Griffin
Campbell
(will have International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP)!)

High School
Campbell (has top-notch International Baccalaureate Programme...dynamic faculty, great extracurriculars)
South Cobb (excellent Math/Science Magnet Program...great community support)

*all of the schools listed above in the Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings area(including the high schools themselves!) have strong community support, innovative/dynamic programs, excellent academics, strong PTAs, and great extracurricular opportunities. That's why they are on the "Recommendation" list.

If you still insist on East Cobb, check out the Sprayberry and Wheeler High School districts and their corresponding feeder schools. Wheeler has a stellar Math/Science/Technology Program that is very famous/popular/sought-after. Sprayberry is known for its strong community support, close-knit atmosphere, and strong academics. These are great schools and with better East Cobb prices. Recommendations:

Sprayberry

Elementary: Mountain View, Addison (charter school), Kincaid, Nicholson, Blackwell, Chalker

Middle: Simpson, Daniell (2008 Georgia School of Excellence), McCleskey

Wheeler

Elementary: East Valley, Sope Creek, Sedalia Park (charter school)

Middle: East Cobb (top notch math/science/robotics program)

**all of the aforemention schools in the Sprayberry and Wheeler clusters (including the high schools themselves!) have strong community support, innovative/dynamic programs, excellent academics, strong PTAs, and great extracurricular opportunities. I did not list all of the schools in the clusters...the ones on the "Recommendation" list are truly excellent.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:55 PM

10 posts, read 46,562 times
Default Living Near HD HQ

Sure the EC schools rate well... but do not limit yourself. The Smyrna Vinings areas are really transforming into super places to live... w/ LOWER housing cost. Also look at Marietta City... good elementary schools to look at are Burruss and West Side. The HS has an IB program too. Lower housing cost than the EC area too.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:19 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
Sure the EC schools rate well... but do not limit yourself. The Smyrna Vinings areas are really transforming into super places to live... w/ LOWER housing cost. Also look at Marietta City... good elementary schools to look at are Burruss and West Side. The HS has an IB program too. Lower housing cost than the EC area too.

Yes! Definitely look into Marietta City Schools as well. Like justmy2cents said, look at Burruss Elementary and West Side Elementary.

Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
Look into the 30062 zip code. I think the el schools are Murdock and Tritt, both excellent. The commute would be 30 minutes. Most evenings it is shorter for me spouse who works near by. Our criteria when moving here 1 year ago was excellent schools and excellent commute. We got both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta