Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:43 PM

8,488 posts, read 15,032,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Grocery stores were never "about feeding people" - that is only what their business is. Grocery stores aren't charities, they are businesses. The purpose of a business is to make money. If the store can't make money in SW Atlanta, then it has no obligation to conduct business down there. I am sure the chains are aware of how those areas are, which is why they won't open up stores there.

You say hire more security, but that cuts into the store's profit, which is already dwindling because of the insane amount of shrinkage. How about the residents of SW Atlanta change the way their culture views criminals and the thug lifestyle, and maybe people will start paying for their food?

Ponce Kroger, while it does have sketchy clientele, 50% of the shoppers are normal people who live in the gentrifying areas around there. There is no comparable demographic in SW Atlanta or MLK.

If any Kroger was to open downtown, it would need to either be practically on GA State's campus or near Centennial Olympic Park. Both of those areas might have enough non-thugs to balance things out. But still, I think we are about 10 years away from that, since there are just not enough residents and students down there yet to give Kroger the needed incentive.
Wow. Just wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 04:46 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,847,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Grocery stores were never "about feeding people" - that is only what their business is. Grocery stores aren't charities, they are businesses. The purpose of a business is to make money. If the store can't make money in SW Atlanta, then it has no obligation to conduct business down there. I am sure the chains are aware of how those areas are, which is why they won't open up stores there.

You say hire more security, but that cuts into the store's profit, which is already dwindling because of the insane amount of shrinkage. How about the residents of SW Atlanta change the way their culture views criminals and the thug lifestyle, and maybe people will start paying for their food?

Ponce Kroger, while it does have sketchy clientele, 50% of the shoppers are normal people who live in the gentrifying areas around there. There is no comparable demographic in SW Atlanta or MLK.

If any Kroger was to open downtown, it would need to either be practically on GA State's campus or near Centennial Olympic Park. Both of those areas might have enough non-thugs to balance things out. But still, I think we are about 10 years away from that, since there are just not enough residents and students down there yet to give Kroger the needed incentive.
So thugs are the only people who steal out of Stores? Students steal the Rich steal etc.. What about all the bad checks that some write to stores thats considered stealing too. Please dont classify people.. There are so many none (thuggish) crimes that go on in grocery stores.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:47 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,847,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Wow. Just wow.
Thats what I said WOW but you already know its to be expected from that forumer

Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,882,537 times
I have never heard of thugs stealing out of upscale grocery stores. That would seem beneath their level of macho. "Yo, i'm gone pop up a cap up in dem shawty organic artichokes."

Old 09-08-2010, 04:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,584,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How does that WIC thing work, by the way? I know a young man in his early 30s who's getting two food cards. He's got two kids out of wedlock and every month the government charges his cards up with another $750. They're debit cards basically -- he just swipes them at the cashier like anyone else. He could work but he's just not into it. Yet he's getting more on groceries than we spend a month. He gets a number of other very nice government freebies, too. His mother actually takes care of the kids.

I don't understand it. (Sorry to veer off topic).
Thats funny...some people can work THAT system like magic....Slavery aint dead, and master most feed his property. Freemen buy food with money they actually earn, but that for another thread.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,726,175 times
Quote:
How does that WIC thing work, by the way? I know a young man in his early 30s who's getting two food cards. He's got two kids out of wedlock and every month the government charges his cards up with another $750. They're debit cards basically -- he just swipes them at the cashier like anyone else. He could work but he's just not into it. Yet he's getting more on groceries than we spend a month. He gets a number of other very nice government freebies, too. His mother actually takes care of the kids.

I don't understand it. (Sorry to veer off topic).
Easy. He has 2 children. It may be food stamp fraud (with the 2 food cards) but if he is unemployed, he can qualify for one himself and take the one his mom gets for his children and double dip.

BCC is our resident racist nutcase.

waronxmas, I agree. Now, supermarket do have very low margins. The issue with the Publix was not enough sales. I agree with you on SW ATL. They aren't alot of grocery stores. You have 1 publix @ Camp Creek and the Kroger on Cascade. With the level of economy in the area, I'm sure a Trader Joes, Whole Foods or Fresh Market could survive in the area.

The issue is once the perception is there, it is very hard to break it.

I remember, a rumor about Wal Mart moving to the Camp Creek area after the one on Cascade was defeated. I wonder where that stand as of now.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM

32,035 posts, read 36,882,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Thats funny...some people can work THAT system like magic....Slavery aint dead, and master most feed his property. Freemen buy food with money they actually earn, but that for another thread.
Well, this is a middle class suburban white guy and he's never been anywhere near slavery. But he does know how to work the system. I've heard him laugh about it.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I have never heard of thugs stealing out of upscale grocery stores. That would seem beneath their level of macho. "Yo, i'm gone pop up a cap up in dem shawty organic artichokes."
They cant steal when they stick out. If an upscale store was to locate in the hood there will be honest shoppers, but there will crooks who look just like the honest shoppers in the hood. In upscale locations people from the hood stick out. All you have to do is offer customer service to them and watch the reaction.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Well, this is a middle class suburban white guy and he's never been anywhere near slavery. But he does know how to work the system. I've heard him laugh about it.

Modern Day slavery has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the poor & uneducated. There are white people on food stamps and white people in prisons & yes they are slaves to the government. Freemen buy their food with earned cash.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,112,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

BCC is our resident racist nutcase.
Oh, so dramatic! Can you save the theatrics for the thespian forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta