Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM

357 posts, read 784,149 times

Advertisements

I grew up in atlanta.. lived there my whole life and have been here in fla since i graduated in 09.

A city's culture is largely determined by the people that live there. And I never got the sense that I lived in a "city" when i was in atlanta. I read somewhere that Atlanta has one of the highest increases in day-time population b/c everyone lives in the suburbs. (Obviously we all know how horrible the traffic is.)

Granted, nothing will ever compare to ny, chicago, boston, etc.. but Atlanta could be speical too if people could realize what they have in front of them...one of the fastest growing areas in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,121,016 times
The fastest growing part of Atlanta is Fulton County nowadays, with much of that growth in infill developments in the city center. I think people are waking up. Most of Boston's population is in its suburbs, too. Actually, while we're on the topic, Boston's city limits are very very dense, but its suburbs are not dense at all, almost country. Traffic heading into Boston is very thick, too; especially since Boston doesn't have suburban CBDs like Atlanta does (and its highways aren't 16 lanes wide like Atlanta's).

Old 11-15-2010, 10:57 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,377,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
But that's not really even my main complaint about C-town. Its the utter dullness and mediocrity of the people here themselves. This town is filled with low-class, ghetto/redneck people who are so narrowminded it's mind-boggling in itself.
Exactly how have you determined this about Carrollton people? How many Carrollton people have you interacted with? How are you determining how narrowminded people are? Do you quiz them on certain subjects then observe their reactions? Do you go through town doing this?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Carrollton's Schools:

Quote:
Carrollton High has been recognized as a Georgia School of Excellence three times and has been featured in such national magazines as Redbook Magazine and U.S. News & World Report.

Carrollton Georgia Real Estate and Homes for Sale | ZipRealty.com

Quote:
Congratulations to the CHS Speech and Debate Team for winning the GFCA State Public Forum Debate Championship last weekend at Evans High School. The team members are Skylar Smisson, Michael Ingram, Jonathan Edwards, and Colton Huebner. Skylar Smisson and Michael Ingram did not lose a round in their debates to give CHS its Ninth State Championship!

Carrollton High: Latest News > "Debate Team wins State!"

Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Carrollton isn't too bad in sports:

Quote:
Best known for their Football and Track & Field programs, football has won seven state championships and track & field has won twenty-four state championships. The football program is the 19th winning-est program in the nation.

Carrollton High School - Carrollton, Georgia/GA - Public School Profile

Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 2,512 times
My Husband and I are considering moving to Atlanta from Orange County, CA. Job market is very tough here. Also no hope of ever owning a home. A run down condo in a safe area is $350,000.
Will we be accepted. We are conservatives, church goers. I am a nurse. Outgoing. My husband is not a surfer dude but a California boy. Kind of funky hair (short) jeans, shirt with a skull on it. etc.
He is more of a musician. He is in IT. Not a nerd type but pretty smart. He is kind of shy at making friends. We like wine, fine dining, we like our cars, Lexus and BMW. I love to entertain. (not too fancy) We would like to have a boxer, non judgemental friends. We are white and not racsist at all.
In California we have people from all over. We have friends from all different back grounds. I lived in Fairfield County, CT a few years back and did not like it. The people were not friendly and I felt like I was in a different world. We are real and do not put on airs. We are in our mid 40's, kids gone off to college. Will we make it in Atlanta.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,121,016 times
Yes. A lot of Atlanta might look more similar to Fairfield County than California, though (similar climate, East Coast, etc), but Atlanta is a large metro area as opposed to just a wealthy NYC commuter county. There are all sorts of areas that would appeal to people of all different backgrounds. BTW I always thought parts of Mt. Paran Rd in Atlanta reminded me a little of CA wine country lol. Nothing in Atlanta reminds me of SoCal or "typical" FL.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:31 AM

118 posts, read 299,604 times
I was looking to move to atlanta from boston, but i want to experience the culture and meet people with southern accents, and not as many transplants. Does this mean i need to move further outside of Atlanta?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,502,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7300 View Post
I was looking to move to atlanta from boston, but i want to experience the culture and meet people with southern accents, and not as many transplants. Does this mean i need to move further outside of Atlanta?
I suppose so. Honestly, I wouldn't know of a place in Georgia where you could 'experience the culture and meet people with southern accents'. The emphasis has been on economic growth for quite some time now and many people have relocated to Georgia for decades. Unemployment is above the national average.

Do you want to live in a small town?

Maybe Valdosta--near the FL/GA state line?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 AM

118 posts, read 299,604 times
hmm well i want it to be different than city life, i want more of an outdoors, relaxed feel. But im still going to work in downtown Atlanta, so commute would be a problem if im too far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta