Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:02 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,621,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Guys, have you ever heard about being a leader for change and setting an example? I have read a few great posts on here from fellow "yankees" who aren't having the same problems. Is Carrolton probably backwater? Yes. My roommate is dating a guy from there (she is from Dallas) and she got cited for disorderly conduct for doing a cartwheel on the side of the road. That can happen anywhere the cops and local courts are facing a budget crunch (which is everywhere nowadays).

I am from a city that gets a bad rap (completely undeserved), and I am basically an activist. I am Republican and a busy student, so I did not think I would ever turn into an activist for something, but I have gotten really involved in local politics, local development, City-Data, and other boards, and now I take countless photos of my hometown to share with the world, and people are shocked. There's beauty in everything and there is always room for leaders to step up and try to enact change in their communities (hopefully the change isn't for the worse).

My fraternity at school is predominantly made up of northerners. Most of my brothers are from Boston area, 4 from Glastonbury, CT alone, a few from NYC, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St. Louis, FL (like me ), CA, and TX. Everyone seems to love and enjoy Atlanta and many do what they can to remain here. Obiously there aren't as many "choices" in the job market anymore, but most of my faternity brothers see themselves here in the metro. Judging by that it can't be that bad Tech students in particular (coming from all over) are notorious for enacting change and developing Atlanta in new ways. Atlanta is very blessed to have UGA nearby, GSU right downtown (bringing suburban kids into Atlanta), and Tech and Emory in Atlanta providing Atlanta with a host of talent with fresh perspectives and experience in a multitude of cultures. Most cities, even up north, cannot boast of having the same college power.

And also, to anyone who does feel out of place in Atlanta metro: how can you feel out of place that by percentage has almost as many natives northerners as a transient city like New York? You are not too far from home here anymore if you know what I mean.
Yes, but what you described is Atlanta, not Carrollton. This far away from ATL there are very few northerners. But that's not really even my main complaint about C-town. Its the utter dullness and mediocrity of the people here themselves. This town is filled with low-class, ghetto/redneck people who are so narrowminded it's mind-boggling in itself. I'm only here because I'm still trying to find a job elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,379,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It tends to be cliquish to an extent. A lot of people who have never lived anywhere else than Atlanta have a "center of the universe" opinion about it.
You have just described my opinion of the Boston area.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,121,016 times
Flyimetro,

since you and I post in the same two forums on City-Data I have become acquainted with your style. I like many of your posts, but some posts make me wonder. What is wrong with a laid back pace of life? Atlanta is not so extremely laid back as to be like Carrollton or Starke, FL or a small town, but thank goodness it's not so fast where you have a phrase like the "Atlanta Minute". When you go to eat here you aren't rushed in and out like you would be in many places in a "fast paced" city. Also, on another thread you talk a lot about "brand names", etc, as if it's important to wear brand names and have chain high end stores like Gucci and Prada. It makes me wonder if you yourself have traveled extensively and where your priorities are. And your British lady-friend/coworker sounds kind of like a city-snob. Sure London and LA are awesome cities with much to teach other cities, but by all means they are not without their problems (problems Atlanta does not yet face thank God).

To me, any city/metro that can stimulate job growth, provide cultural amenities, provide a good transportation network (roads AND transit), and provide quality education for its populace is A-Ok in my book. To me, Atlanta has historically done really well in job growth, it provides lots of cultural amenities (though I would appreciate more museums), provides the best transportation network in the South (which I guess isn't saying much, but I do know traffic is a heck of a lot worse in NYC, DC, Chicago, and plenty of other cities than Atlanta and they all have extensive transit systems), and Atlanta has one of the highest concentrations of top notch universities in the country and even globally. So all in all, with Atlanta's diverse population (at least in terms of domestic migration), int'l airport, pop.and job growth, cultural amenities, highways/MARTA (and streetcars/LRT being worked on right now), and universities the pace of the city could not possibly be more unimportant to me.

I have to ask, do you go by Coolyfett on another forum? There is a poster on a local site where I'm from that now lives in Atlanta. Are you him by any chance? That may explain some things to me, but your "vernacular" typing style on here is different from his on there so I'm not sure.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You have just described my opinion of the Boston area.
I second this and actually everyone I know from the Boston area here in Atlanta (mainly here for school) really enjoys Atlanta, and most find jobs here if their field has a presence here.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,576,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Yes, but what you described is Atlanta, not Carrollton. This far away from ATL there are very few northerners. But that's not really even my main complaint about C-town. Its the utter dullness and mediocrity of the people here themselves. This town is filled with low-class, ghetto/redneck people who are so narrowminded it's mind-boggling in itself. I'm only here because I'm still trying to find a job elsewhere.
Its a lot more southerners here than people from the East Coast. I would not say Atlanta is filled with low class, but I jave seen the low class types.

Narrowminded. a very interesting word.

Religion, Race Relations, Sexuality, Politics are very tricky subjects...I notice the more narrowminded the person is the more I realize how AFRAID they are. I have to say some of my expectations of Atlanta are my fault. Things I thought were the norm are actually special cases here. Now that I am here I spread the truth to friends & family in other places. The truth about the male products of single parent homes, close mindedness about certain subjects. There are actually Black people in ATLANTA that still hate white people in 2010,,,not dookiebutt county Georgia but ATLANTA. I meet men that hate gay dudes in ATLANTA not ChitlingClean Georgia but ATLANTA. So its not about being better than anywhere else, but to me there is such a thing as UNIVERSAL behavior. That universal behavior is based on love & kindness for other humans. Everywhere and anywhere is great if people show you love & kindness. Has nothing to do with white vs black, gay vs str8, country folk vs city slickers, repubs vs democrats...its about universally excepting people that have never done anything wrong to you. That to me is the main issue I see, which leads me to grip about other things. When I first got here I learned the city around Marta, I got the 8 dollar breeze card and just road to various locations to learn about Atlanta. Now when I meet people, I invite them to hangout downtown or midtown, they never want to use Marta, they never want to go to the core, they always want to drive to some location in the burbs they always go to, to see the same people they have been seeing for years...a couple times Id go, but it was always them interacting with THEIR friends, with these same friends asking me "if im from New York" "why you talk like that?" "why you dont drive if you have a car?" "what church you go to" In my mind im like "REALLY?" Is this what Atlanta people are like?...And it hasnt been once or twice or three times. One girl finally agreed to go downtown wit me..only to realize she had a good time! Lived here her whole life, never been to nothing. Here it is my third year here and Ive been almost everywhere. So maybe its the way of life here, but my experiences have mostly been very similar. Meeting people that are afraid of their own shadow. Or maybe im too adventurous.. Its one or the other, maybe Im just weird.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,425,838 times
Quote:
I second this and actually everyone I know from the Boston area here in Atlanta (mainly here for school) really enjoys Atlanta, and most find jobs here if their field has a presence here.
Generally if people leave their hometown to move somewhere, they will usually enjoy the place they moved to. I'm sure you can find Atlantans who moved to Boston who "really enjoy Boston." It works both ways.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Flyimetro,

since you and I post in the same two forums on City-Data I have become acquainted with your style. I like many of your posts, but some posts make me wonder. What is wrong with a laid back pace of life? Atlanta is not so extremely laid back as to be like Carrollton or Starke, FL or a small town, but thank goodness it's not so fast where you have a phrase like the "Atlanta Minute". When you go to eat here you aren't rushed in and out like you would be in many places in a "fast paced" city. Also, on another thread you talk a lot about "brand names", etc, as if it's important to wear brand names and have chain high end stores like Gucci and Prada. It makes me wonder if you yourself have traveled extensively and where your priorities are. And your British lady-friend/coworker sounds kind of like a city-snob. Sure London and LA are awesome cities with much to teach other cities, but by all means they are not without their problems (problems Atlanta does not yet face thank God).

To me, any city/metro that can stimulate job growth, provide cultural amenities, provide a good transportation network (roads AND transit), and provide quality education for its populace is A-Ok in my book. To me, Atlanta has historically done really well in job growth, it provides lots of cultural amenities (though I would appreciate more museums), provides the best transportation network in the South (which I guess isn't saying much, but I do know traffic is a heck of a lot worse in NYC, DC, Chicago, and plenty of other cities than Atlanta and they all have extensive transit systems), and Atlanta has one of the highest concentrations of top notch universities in the country and even globally. So all in all, with Atlanta's diverse population (at least in terms of domestic migration), int'l airport, pop.and job growth, cultural amenities, highways/MARTA (and streetcars/LRT being worked on right now), and universities the pace of the city could not possibly be more unimportant to me.

I have to ask, do you go by Coolyfett on another forum? There is a poster on a local site where I'm from that now lives in Atlanta. Are you him by any chance? That may explain some things to me, but your "vernacular" typing style on here is different from his on there so I'm not sure.
What up Simms! Yea we do participate on the same forum plus an extra one "wink wink" Actually you & I see eye to eye on quite a few topics. I think we have had different experiences in life, your a white college student republican, Im black, hate school, but love to work democrat lol how opposite is that? But we are both from the RiverCity and now live in The Big Peach. We make a lot of the same comparisons...often...But in a way our personalities are different & I respect that. I talk a lot of shi+...you are more mellow. You come to the table with a more reserved style, me I like to stir the pot for my own personal entertainment. Sometimes I say loud & wrong things on purpose for my own entertainment. I think in time Simms youll know when Im coming from a wisdom discerment point of view & when im in a$$hole mode. You good peeps though man.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Haha thanks Coolyfett (I mean Flyimetro lol). +1 for you, and yea I'll keep that in mind. I definitely have my mellow moments and my "worked up" moments on this board too (and I can't believe how active a poster I am on "forums" for being Republican...it doesn't seem like a Repub thing to do lol).

And I was about to post something about someone on another city's page, but I'll ask you on our "other site" so as not to offend anyone on City-Data

Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 PM

No doubt Simms!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Generally if people leave their hometown to move somewhere, they will usually enjoy the place they moved to. I'm sure you can find Atlantans who moved to Boston who "really enjoy Boston." It works both ways.
I DO ENJOY Atlanta. The Women, The shoping, The chicken wing spots...but it aint the best city, its just another city. Some Atlanta folks (especially on here) think Atlanta blows every other southern metro out the water. From Charlotte to Houston to Miami...Certain great qualities about Atlanta are way overhyped, yet some of the crappy aspects of Atlanta are kept a big secret from the outside world. I see where the OP is coming from. Im not a yankee, but I am a Navy brat whos parents might be considered yankees. So I see where he is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta