Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,717,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So my basic question is this. Why do people have such a negative view of us just for something we don't believe?
I'm sure this has been answered already, but I've always assumed that it's because they're afraid that their beliefs we challenge may indeed be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:20 AM

85 posts, read 333,250 times
Some of the negative stereotypes go back to the Cold War period. Those who grew up during that time remember how brutally the Soviets tried to stamp out religion. Also, those modern day atheists who are openly hostile toward religion help fuel the stereotypes. People are very protective about their faith - even willing to die for it - so, having a mocking attitude toward religion does not help atheists overall.

Btw, I consider myself an agnostic.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:38 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,717,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen n View Post
Also, those modern day atheists who are openly hostile toward religion help fuel the stereotypes. People are very protective about their faith - even willing to die for it - so, having a mocking attitude toward religion does not help atheists overall.
And yet, it's considered socially acceptable to be mocking towards us. Go figure.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,676,843 times
Society fears that atheism = nothingness. And, that is one of human being's greatest fears, that this is all just nothing. Life, death, etc.. Better to stay away from that one with a ten foot pole, so they ostracize the atheists.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,867,122 times
Just so you know, we Hindus accept that those with differing beliefs (including atheists) without judging them. Since we are nondogmatic (making blasphemy impossible), we know its not our place to do such things.

Peace,

XP

Old 10-04-2008, 11:21 AM

520 posts, read 896,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Society fears that atheism = nothingness. And, that is one of human being's greatest fears, that this is all just nothing. Life, death, etc.. Better to stay away from that one with a ten foot pole, so they ostracize the atheists.
I will fully agree. the scariest things in the world are those we don't understand. once you understand something it ceases to be foreign, and not as frightening. and frankly the idea of nothing doesn't really scare me, i don't think its that hard to understand nothing, i mean there really isn't that much to it.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:54 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,532,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So my basic question is this. Why do people have such a negative view of us just for something we don't believe?
I don't think the negativity comes out unless the topic of religion comes into the conversation which is most always the Christian who wants to know sooner or later if the person they are talking to is a christian..Personally, I think it is rude to ask that question of a stranger..
Some, NOT ALL, christian/believers give the rest of us a bad name because they think that the Atheist is going to change because of the Bible quotes he is tossing around along with the hellfire sermon
If the Atheist comes back with just one word of criticism about the bible which he does not believe is the word of a fairytale God anyway.. then he has no morals, makes faces at children and beats his dog
In a nutshell, my dear atheist friend, some christian/believers think you are under the control of that ole evil one..SATAN..

Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 PM

471 posts, read 1,510,130 times
I don't have a low opinion of atheists. Or agnostics. 2 of the people I love the most, my grandparents, are proud atheists. I highly respect them for all kinds of reasons.... And my sister-in-law and her husband, professed agnostics, are two of my closest friends. So from my life experience, I just don't see it - a low opinion of atheists. In fact I feel more the opposite towards them, a respect that they are standing by their own beliefs, and can intelligently support them. And I'm a Christian. Yet we still mesh. My respect for people comes from their character or personality or just their worth as an individual, not their religious or non-religious affiliation.

Last edited by emeraldsky; 10-05-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,709,398 times
In Britain church congregations are shrinking more & more, people are, or are becoming, atheists.

I'm an atheist courtesy of my old alma mata. Our teachers always drummed into us "assume nothing, question everything" this I believe Is a good credo to live by.
I read the bible and asked questions of my elders, none of them would say that the bible was factual. None could explain where the woman who cain married came from, and why sex was a sin.

I cannot understand why so many americans blindly accept this book without question, and shun people who dare to ask, prove to me that your god exists.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,467,274 times
The social organization of atheists is still at a rudimentary stage. I think it would be helpful to post information about the nascent "international atheist movement" and about particular organizations that are part of that movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism