Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I have had a number of discussions with Forum members dealing with forms of, and at times out right discrimination related to non religious people in American culture, government, and from the religious segment of that culture in general.
I think it would be of interest to see how many non religious see and feel that discrimination, and could list issues which they see as bias.
I don't know so much If I have been discriminated against, but living in bible belt lite, I do think people are just inconsiderate to my views; not so much to be rude (though that I'm sure is part of it from time to time) but because they just don't stop and think that maybe everyone doesn't share the same view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,621,412 times
I will say one thing for certain, if an individual who was open about their atheism wanted to run for any public office, believe me, they would be discriminated against.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times
I have to agree with you on that, Montana

Old 07-21-2008, 07:31 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,354,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Imo "being put on a pedestal" means to be admired. Perhaps being made the center of attention is a more apt description.

Discrimination may be overused by some when it is used as a form of discrimination itself, ie polital correctness run amok. But when someone is treated less well in any way because they are different that is discrimination. This can be in a job, housing, friendship, even public courtesy or the lack thereof.

I have been treated poorly by Christians on numerous occasions. I have even tried to dodge this by respectfully explaining to Xtians that I would rather not discuss religion only to have them use that wish against me too!

However, having said that, some xtians are kind people who are completely cool with my having different beliefs, while others cheerfully inform me that I will go to hell. That cheerfulness underscores the sadism of such beliefs.
This is what I have seen, and I do see it as discrimination. If it were in a different situation (Jewish, black, or even a sensitive catholic) I am sure it would be defined as prejudice by them also.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I will say one thing for certain, if an individual who was open about their atheism wanted to run for any public office, believe me, they would be discriminated against.
Really depends on where they run.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
I don't believe an atheist would be elected president. And, I think all (or most?) senators and congressmen make sure they are seen going to church.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,170,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I don't believe an atheist would be elected president. And, I think all (or most?) senators and congressmen make sure they are seen going to church.
Congressman Pete Stark: Representing California's 13th District

Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,945 times
In my experience, as long as you are tolerant of people, they will be tolerant of you. In fact they may even be curious. Of course there are the lunatic fringe on either side, the fundamentalists and the militant atheists.

Dawkins, although meaning well, causes people to think that every atheist wants to abolish religion and force a 100% secular world upon those that are religious, which is just not correct. I know I personally, I am not offended when I see "In god we trust" on our bills other use of god usage in government stuffs, as long as it isn't preaching it to me. I view it as a reminder of our history of the theists that founded the nation and of the cold war. I'm more concerned with Social Security being ransacked than a measly word.

But I digress...

Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
If I may be allowed on small digression...I have a question. Why are most atheists, liberal?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,183 times
Good question, Brian. I am more conservative than liberal, but not staunchly so...then again, I am more agnostic than atheistic, I do believe in a Creator but not the Christian one. I don't want McCain OR Obama as president. So...tis a puzzlement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism