Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 03:27 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times

Advertisements

Why do you care? Why not just live and let live?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:36 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Moderator cut: deleted - Does not address OP

If Christians want atheists to just 'live and let live,' then they will have to learn to stop trying to convert atheists to Christianity or 'save them from their sins.' Until then, there is no reason to bother with the idea to just live and let live.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-23-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,661 times
Quote:
Well, this is a debate forum, and I happen to enjoy debating. I don't randomly bother theists I meet in real life.

I would also oppose religion when it tries to affect me somehow (trying to reduce freedom of speech, to damage our education system...). Luckily it's not an issue (yet...) in Belgium.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,864 times
Quote:
Are you saying religion and the religious do not affect us directly or indirectly in any way?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:56 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Moderator cut:

deleted

Atheists do tend to mind their own business, much more so than Christians...We don't accuse others of being sinful, nor do we, as Christians have done so often, tell people that unless they choose Atheism they will suffer eternal torment.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-23-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 03:58 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,789,084 times
Quote:
Well, I'm more of an agnostic. But the concern is all the fighting people do under the banner of religion.

Consider the mid-east and/or Afro-Saudi regions.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:29 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,912,983 times
Default Here's why!

Quote:
Because, IMHO, this world would be a much better place without supernatural, illogical and arrogant religious dogma, which goes out of its way to mis-inform, terrify and inflame innocent folks to acts of violence & terrorism, and to supporting endless blindered obedience and suppression of the truth.

That's why I care. Especially about the kids in this world, and I have a lot of opportunities in my community to teach kids about Evolution through simple experiments and exposure to the natural world on field trips and with in-class discussions. I seem to be making some headway, BTW.

I'm kind of a knight on a crusade. Wanna contribute to my fund, kd?

I also (apparently mistakenly, huh?) received a mailer recently from a Christian group that desperately wanted my money so it could fight "the godless heathen atheist threat here in these god-fearing United States".

They insisted that those heathens want to ignore the laws of God by teaching you-know-what in high school science, and also by "preaching", oh Gawd no... to ignore the teachings of "Our lord and saviour Jesus Christ", and promote such things as "free love, the gay lifestyle, newage science and disrespect for their parents!"

Where, exactly, is this curriculum spelled out and in effect? Do you think this sort of thing should be ignored or even supported? Or just perhaps, does such a strident evangelical curriculum resonate with you, kd?

I wish I'd kept it so I could have scanned it and posted it here, but I must admit I sorta ceremoniously burnt it, and then p##d on the ashes. I didn't even send in a donation to receive my heat-sealed vinyl pouch of Miracle Holy Water. What a missed opportunity, huh, kd?

I nearly barfed up my toenails.

I'll let it all pass when I receive a similar pamphlet from the "Atheist Religious Group" you so often taunt us about, you know; the one with a monumental set of rules and chants and monuments and icons and "does and don'ts" and similarly dangerous thoughts and efforts.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:36 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,735,156 times
Quote:
Nobody is forcing you to become a Christian.
And no one is forcing you to abandon your faith, so why did you start this thread?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,903 times
Quote:
I answered that in the other thread. Nobody is forcing you to become a Christian.
Kdbrich, how do you vote on issues such as evolution, same sex marriage, abortion, prayer in public schools, stem cell research etc. If your not forcing your religious beliefs on someone else then you must be pro gay marriage, pro choice, pro teaching evolution in science class, pro stem cell research and anti prayer in public schools. The fact is that alot of christians feel they need to put their personal moral/belief code into law so that everyone else is required to do what that religious affiliation considers to be moral and prohibited from doing what that religious affiliation considers to be immoral. If theists would keep their beliefs/morals to themselves, instead of trying to impose them on others then atheists will live and let live. Also, trying to convert others to your religion is contradictory to the stance that someone should just live and let live. You're wasting you're time trying to convince atheists to just live and let live. Atheists will stop caring about religion when religious folk for one, stop trying to convert unbelievers and two, stop trying to put their personal beliefs and morals in government. The nonstop blathering of christians telling atheists that they're fools, evil, immoral and going to burn for eternity when they die just because they didn't believe in the great lord Yahweh. Religious folk need to learn to control themselves instead of just doing what ever bible babble tells them to do.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,942 times
Quote:
Well, you don't "live and let live" so we have to stand up and defend our rights. Once you christers shut up and leave us alone, and stop trying to put your religious delusions into government and law, we'll stop making a fuss about it.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 07-23-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism