Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What is the cuisine in Indonesia like? And what about the nightlife?
Indonesian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Delicious, one of my favourites. Some similarities to Malaysian. To be honest it beats the pants off of Filipino cuisine.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,397,426 times
^^ Nice....

Seems pretty exotic, a blend of local ingredients with influence from middle eastern and indian food? wow I wish there was an Indonesian restaurant around here so I could try some today!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Yeah influences from everywhere. There are a lot of Indonesian restaurants here because of the immigrants, but I don't think many go to North America. If you're ever at an Indo restaurant I recommend starting off with beef rendang, nasi goreng/mee goreng, gado gado and of course satay. Kari ayam (chicken curry) as well.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Hey urbanluis in Canada. Are you in Toronto? - just drive down to NYC, we have lots of indonesian restaurants here. Also Sri Lankan which is also a great blend of tastes and flavors. There are a few filipino restaurants too if you like.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Indonesia and Philippines both contain a large amount of islands and kind of a surprising similarity. The separate islands have their own vast network of local identities because of being relatively isolated, and not directly connected with roads to other islands in the same country for Indonesia and Philippines.

They also seem out of place from Asia, especially Southeast Asia for some reasons, especially based in history, religion/spirituality, people scene, and food scene in Philippines.

Philippines is mostly following Christianity, and even having historical Spain relations a very long time ago. Indonesia is Muslim, but following a different version of Islam compared to the Middle East.

The people form these 2 countries just don’t act authentically Asian compared to the real Asian countries based on stereotypical view: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, India, China, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan.

I am not sure the country I would choose between Philippines and Indonesia, probably neither overall. This is because I am interested in 50 to 70 other countries a lot more, so Philippines and Indonesia just don’t reach their level based on my preferences in life.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Indonesia and Philippines both contain a large amount of islands and kind of a surprising similarity. The separate islands have their own vast network of local identities because of being relatively isolated, and not directly connected with roads to other islands in the same country for Indonesia and Philippines.

They also seem out of place from Asia, especially Southeast Asia for some reasons, especially based in history, religion/spirituality, people scene, and food scene in Philippines.

Philippines is mostly following Christianity, and even having historical Spain relations a very long time ago. Indonesia is Muslim, but following a different version of Islam compared to the Middle East.

The people form these 2 countries just don’t act authentically Asian compared to the real Asian countries based on stereotypical view: Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, India, China, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan.

I am not sure the country I would choose between Philippines and Indonesia, probably neither overall. This is because I am interested in 50 to 70 other countries a lot more, so Philippines and Indonesia just don’t reach their level based on my preferences in life.
Most Indonesians follow the Sunni sect of Islam, which is the majority form. It's probably similar to Turkey in being a secular nation and not as radically Islamic as Iran or Saudi Arabia.

I don't know if they're less authentically Asian: a lot of traditional Indonesian cultures (I say cultures because it's so diverse) have long histories, with a mix of native, mainland SE Asian, Indian, Chinese and European influence. While slight, the Dutch influence is apparently in Java.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most Indonesians follow the Sunni sect of Islam, which is the majority form. It's probably similar to Turkey in being a secular nation and not as radically Islamic as Iran or Saudi Arabia.

I don't know if they're less authentically Asian: a lot of traditional Indonesian cultures (I say cultures because it's so diverse) have long histories, with a mix of native, mainland SE Asian, Indian, Chinese and European influence. While slight, the Dutch influence is apparently in Java.
I read about the Manado in the capital city of north Sulawesi, In Minahasa. I guess we, Filipino lowlanders Catholic Christians can relate a bit to this people. They are mostly Christian and they were also ruled by Spanish and Portuguese.

Quote:
At 93% of the population, the Minahasa Regency has one of highest proportions of Christianity in Indonesia. It has the highest density of church buildings in Indonesia, with approximately one church for every 100m road.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] This is due to a successful missionary campaign by European Christians in Northern Sulawesi.
In 1907, Firma P.W.M Trap, Leiden, Holland published a bible in the Tontemboan language, a language of Minahasa. It was edited by M. Adriani-Gunning and J. Regar.
Minahasa people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Meanwhile, the Spanish had already set themselves up in the Philippines and Minahasa was used to plant coffee that came from South America because of its rich soil. Manado was further developed by Spain to become the center of commerce for the Chinese traders who traded the coffee in China. With the help of native allies the Spanish took over the Portuguese fortress in Amurang in the 1550s, and Spanish settlers also established a fort at Manado, so that eventually Spain controlled all of the Minahasa. It was in Manado where one of the first Indo-Eurasian (Mestizo) communities in the archipelago developed during the 16th century.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE] The first King of Manado (1630) named Muntu Untu was in fact the son of a Spanish Mestizo
Manado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Similar dances but different dress outfit.

Indonesian dance with Spanish influence, Part I - YouTube

Indonesian dance with Spanish influence, Part II - YouTube

Old 05-27-2013, 02:56 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,489,811 times
An island in a crater lake in an island in a crater lake in an island, Taal Volcano, the Philippines!

Last edited by Clarkcty; 05-27-2013 at 03:06 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Philippines probably appears less authentically Asian compared to most of Indonesia. However, it would take extensive visiting to figure out if they really feel Asian.

Philippines continues to be Christianity majority and having historical Spain relations. The food scene also does not compare well to Asian countries.

Indonesia is having a different form of Islam compared to most of Middle East, being more secular, and not nearly as much of the very negative stereotypical views of Muslim.

However, some islands of Indonesia have less of this majority influence compared to the other islands, and even being Hindu and Christianity majority instead of Muslim. The island of Bali is Hindu religion majority, and Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

What noticeable Dutch influence is in Java island of Indonesia?

The variety in island culture for Indonesia is unknown and not familiar to most people.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Philippines probably appears less authentically Asian compared to most of Indonesia. However, it would take extensive visiting to figure out if they really feel Asian.

Philippines continues to be Christianity majority and having historical Spain relations. The food scene also does not compare well to Asian countries.

Indonesia is having a different form of Islam compared to most of Middle East, being more secular, and not nearly as much of the very negative stereotypical views of Muslim.

However, some islands of Indonesia have less of this majority influence compared to the other islands, and even being Hindu and Christianity majority instead of Muslim. The island of Bali is Hindu religion majority, and Papua province Western New Guinea island being Christianity majority.

What noticeable Dutch influence is in Java island of Indonesia?

The variety in island culture for Indonesia is unknown and not familiar to most people.
Asia is diverse, but I think the stereotypical 'Asian' cultural traits include an Eastern religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Jainism, Sikhism...Islam links Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan with the Middle East, and the cultural influence is quite deep, extending to names, for instance. Many Indonesians have Arabic first names like Muhammed. Of course, Indonesia was once ruled by both Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms, influenced by India and Southeast Asia. Java was once ruled by Hindu/Buddhist kingdoms, and many old ruins and buildings can still be still. Bali is a remnant of the old Hindu influence.

Malaysia is somewhat similar to Indonesia is how Islamic it is, and most Muslim women there wear the hijab. Many men wear a distinctive cap as well. The call to prayer is often heard early in the mornings, and many shops are closed on Friday.

Indonesia is culturally diverse. Yes, many of the islands are majority Christian like Sulawesi.

I think the Philippines used to be more Muslim dominated. I don't know if Buddhism ever made much of an impact there. Now it's mostly practised by some of the ethnic Chinese there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia