Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
A lot of people recommend Lombok. It is is Muslim and conservative though. Nothing wrong with that, but that's about as opposite as you can get from Bali.

So, I never understand why common backpacker traveler talk is to avoid Bali altogether and head for Lombok, when the cultures seem so different. I guess it depends on what a person is looking for though. If they want to get away from people, than Lombok is that place. If they want to see the unique culture and all that Bali has to offer, than Lombok isn't the place for it.
Yes for me the main attraction of Bali is the culture, so I think it's unmissable. I used to be dismissive of it, but seeing the remaining vestige of Indonesian Hinduism - still living - would be interesting, as well as the unique local Balinese culture. Lombok is probably beautiful but offers nothing that different from elsewhere in Indonesia.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times
I haven't been in Indonesia so I can't say anything about it. Although, I read about details regarding Indonesia.

Here's what the Philippines may offer

It's More Fun in the Philippines | DOT Official AVP - YouTube

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times
Quote:
A lot of people recommend Lombok. It is is Muslim and conservative though. Nothing wrong with that, but that's about as opposite as you can get from Bali.

So, I never understand why common backpacker traveler talk is to avoid Bali altogether and head for Lombok, when the cultures seem so different. I guess it depends on what a person is looking for though. If they want to get away from people, than Lombok is that place. If they want to see the unique culture and all that Bali has to offer, than Lombok isn't the place for it.
Lombok was for a period under the sovereignty of Balinese kings. About 15-20% of the island's population are Balinese Hindus. There are Balinese temples and cultural traces on the island, so it's not that entirely different from Bali.

Quote:
Indonesia vs Philippines.

I've been to Indonesia twice, and the Philippines over ten times (or more?). So, I guess its safe to say that I prefer the Philippines. I love the island-hopping, that English is relatively prevalent, and mostly I love the MUSIC. In the Philippines, live music is absolutely everywhere. People are so musically talented.

That being said, Indonesia has all of those elements as well. But perhaps the Catholicism puts thte Philippines over just a bit. Sometimes Indonesia has a bit of sinister anti-Indonesian element to it - Bali bombings and such. It wouldn't discourage me from visiting Indonesia again, but it just adds another feather for a preference for the Philippines.

That being said, there is a bit more cultural element to Indonesia that I like, that's difficult to quantify though.
The Filipinos are known for their musical talent in SE Asia. They are often employed as performers at cabaret shows and music bars/restaurants here in my country.

I've never for once thought Indonesia as a dangerous country to travel. True it has its share of terrorist attacks, but they don't pose such a big threat to most visitors, provided you steer away from obviously Western/American establishments, esp political buildings (embassies and certain hotels which are the fave for Western diplomats) and night clubs.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Lombok was for a period under the sovereignty of Balinese kings. About 15-20% of the island's population are Balinese Hindus. There are Balinese temples and cultural traces on the island, so it's not that entirely different from Bali.

The Filipinos are known for their musical talent in SE Asia. They are often employed as performers at cabaret shows and music bars/restaurants here in my country.

I've never for once thought Indonesia as a dangerous country to travel. True it has its share of terrorist attacks, but they don't pose such a big threat to most visitors, provided you steer away from obviously Western/American establishments, esp political buildings (embassies and certain hotels which are the fave for Western diplomats) and night clubs.
The Australian government issued travel warnings in the years following Bali advising Australians against travelling to Indonesia. Those have been lifted, for Bali at least, but apparently they deem the risk in other parts high.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 AM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The Australian government issued travel warnings in the years following Bali advising Australians against travelling to Indonesia. Those have been lifted, for Bali at least, but apparently they deem the risk in other parts high.
That's odd. Bali (and Jakarta) are the most targeted areas in Indonesia due to the concentration of foreign tourists and embassies. I find regions other than these two potentially safer in terms of terrorist threats.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:00 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
That's odd. Bali (and Jakarta) are the most targeted areas in Indonesia due to the concentration of foreign tourists and embassies. I find regions other than these two potentially safer in terms of terrorist threats.
I'm never personally afraid of terrorist attacks. But, I think it does show that there is a general anti-american, anti-australian element that exists in Indonesia. There is also a very visible anti-chinese one as well.

I have spent two months in Indonesia...and while I certainly felt personally safe. There was still this 'feeling' that people didn't really like the non-Indonesia all so much.

I can think of too many examples...but, the first time I was there, the burned down Chinese areas and businesses that were just left like that years later. That to me, showed a sign. The fact that the Bali bombings occurred again after the initial one. One city I was in Java, some locals went around to all the hostels and issued a personal warning that if there were any Americans anywhere in their town, they were to evacuate immediately. Little things like that.

That being said, I don't personally feel 'fear' in Indonesia, I don't feel like I'm going to be a target of a 'terrorist attack'...but the general anti-chinese, anti-american, anti-australian sentiment is something that is generally completely lacking in the Philippines altogether. I'd go back down to Indonesia again tomorrow and spend another month or two. But, for comparison purposes, the Philippines vs Indonesia...they are actually a pretty close match-up...I do like both of them, but we have to find a few points here and there to differentiate them, and that is one I'd chalk up for a pro-Philippines point towards it.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM

81 posts, read 246,471 times
Quote:
I'm never personally afraid of terrorist attacks. But, I think it does show that there is a general anti-american, anti-australian element that exists in Indonesia. There is also a very visible anti-chinese one as well.

I have spent two months in Indonesia...and while I certainly felt personally safe. There was still this 'feeling' that people didn't really like the non-Indonesia all so much.

I can think of too many examples...but, the first time I was there, the burned down Chinese areas and businesses that were just left like that years later. That to me, showed a sign. The fact that the Bali bombings occurred again after the initial one. One city I was in Java, some locals went around to all the hostels and issued a personal warning that if there were any Americans anywhere in their town, they were to evacuate immediately. Little things like that.

That being said, I don't personally feel 'fear' in Indonesia, I don't feel like I'm going to be a target of a 'terrorist attack'...but the general anti-chinese, anti-american, anti-australian sentiment is something that is generally completely lacking in the Philippines altogether. I'd go back down to Indonesia again tomorrow and spend another month or two. But, for comparison purposes, the Philippines vs Indonesia...they are actually a pretty close match-up...I do like both of them, but we have to find a few points here and there to differentiate them, and that is one I'd chalk up for a pro-Philippines point towards it.
It were Malaysians behind the Bali bombings.
Balinese hate Australians no doubt, because they screw up their island. There is no resentment towards Americans or Japanese, matter of fact they idolize them.
Anti-Chinese is actually everywhere in South East Asia.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM

82 posts, read 435,065 times
I visited only Bali of Indonesia, but I visited many area of the Philippines like Cebu,Manila,Davao and Palawan islands. I need more experience about Indonesia in order to judge, Next trip I will look forward for Indonesia.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM

82 posts, read 435,065 times
I really love Bali by the way. I should visit more of Indonesia.

Cowboys in Paradise Bali - YouTube

Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
kyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susu Enrico View Post
It were Malaysians behind the Bali bombings.
The 2002 attacks were led by the Indonesian cell of Jemaah Islamiah. Main suspects were Javanese and Sundanese radicals.

The 2005 attacks' masterminds however included some Malaysians.

2002 Bali bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2005 Bali bombings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia