Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 AM

25 posts, read 53,708 times

Advertisements

hei OP I am also Henan ren

but I sincerely hope you are not 5 mao lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Please use DM for personal conversations

Old 09-11-2010, 12:55 PM

176 posts, read 522,658 times
Default Stereotypes

I don't like stereotyping.

So, I can't say I like Chinese people or I hate them.

I lived in Shanghai for a while and I now work with many Chinese. Some are great. Some are not. Some are honest and hard working and some are lazy bums. People are people.

One cultural thing is that they have not been taught to have an opinion so if you are a teacher and ask them to write an essay expressing an opinion,it is very difficult for them.

There is in the Asian culture per se pressure to conform.

They have a saying that the nail that sticks up gets hammered.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 AM

122 posts, read 207,691 times
I am now in NanJing,china,I am interested in his culture and history,The Palace Museum and the the Gardens bypast,and mostly embroidery is ,I best love! do not care more about their political issues

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 AM

26 posts, read 70,342 times
[quote=sponger42;15679073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post

Sorry, but for me to believe you, A PRC citizen who says you are one country, over a Taiwanese citizen who says you are two different countries, would be like you believing me if I told you Cuba was the 51st state.

Taiwan is a country, despite what The Party tells you. Likewise, Taiwan remains independent because of China's poor force-projection power and the defense agreement between Taiwan and the United States. There was no invisible bond of brotherhood protecting the intellectuals who were killed in China during the Cultural Revolution and other pogroms or the communist sympathizers who were killed during Taiwan's White Terror.

China and Taiwan might reunite or they might not, but they are two clearly separate countries today. I have visited both, and I suggest you visit Taiwan if you can. It is a beautiful island full of friendly people. It is too bad that you would not be let out of your tour group to wander around and experience Taiwan's culture on your own, because that is the best way to experience it.

Maybe we have common ground in thinking that ECFA and other trade and economic ties between the PRC and the ROC are a positive step. Co-operation between the two countries is essential to both in resolving the old conflicts. I think that Taiwan, as a modern 1st-world democracy with distinctively Chinese influences and implementation of representative government, can show the PRC how to peacefully transition from a authoritarian regime to a government of, by, and for the people.

In any case, time will solve this issue and prove you right, if you are right. So long as the governments of Taiwan and the PRC do not act hastily or make unnaturally forceful decisions, their peoples' can work together toward a future of cooperation and peace.

Taiwan is one part of China! This is not our government told us ,it's the history told us. just like a naughty boy ,leaved his monther when he is young, then grow himself to be a man. maybe no one can recoginize that he is the son of that mother ,but ,he just is. no one can change it.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 AM

26 posts, read 70,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I, for one, enjoyed meeting the Chinese people that I've met. I had a gorgeous Chinese girlfriend in college (didn't work out, but that's life) that I spent 1.5 years with. The chinese people I think are like any other people - most just want a good life, not worry about money so much, and be nice to others.

The Chinese government, though, I am not a fan of. Too much repression of dissenting opinions, too much censorship, too many corrupt officials who get bribed by corporations who skirt the law (see recent issues with babies getting all sorts of issues from milk), and too little regard for the environment. I also hope that the Chinese government can remain a peaceful force for good.

Intellectually, I think they are brilliant BUT I have serious issues with many rip-offs being exported from the country. There are far too many issues with patents and products invented elsewhere being copied in China and sold for a huge discount and without royalties.

about Chinese government ,yes ,many problems. but you know ,the most suffered from that problems are Chinese ourselves. what you see is what we have know for a long time ,how to change ,when to change ,who to determin the change ,it's really complex to say. too complex. yes ,we are still on the road to be better.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:15 AM

211 posts, read 566,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelyne View Post
I am now in NanJing,china,I am interested in his culture and history,The Palace Museum and the the Gardens bypast,and mostly embroidery is ,I best love! do not care more about their political issues
Nanjing! I lived there for four years. I just left in June.

There is quite a bit of Chinese history to be studied and revisited in Nanjing. I hope you enjoy it!

Scott

Old 09-25-2010, 07:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happylily View Post
Taiwan is one part of China! This is not our government told us ,it's the history told us.
If you're going to insist on this, no that doesn't really work. Taiwan's indigenous people aren't Chinese, they're Austronesian. I don't think Taiwan was administered much by China until the last gasp of the Ming when it was taken over by a Ming-loyalist/pirate regime. Chinese contact with Taiwan apparently didn't occur, or occur much, until the fifteenth century. Further it was apparently considered a "frontier" part of China until the 1880s.

Taiwan: a political history - Google Books

Taiwan: studies in Chinese local history - Google Books

Statecraft and political economy on ... - Google Books

Being "part of China since the seventeenth century" might sound impressive, but

1: Chinese history is very long so this basically means Taiwan is a recent acquisition.

2: China was not ruled by Chinese when Taiwan was colonized by Chinese, instead China was ruled by the Manchu.

3: The Ming loyalist period came after a period of Dutch rule and occurred when the Ming had lost most of mainland China.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Chinese culture is Incredible..... very interesting to see how old it is and how developed China was many many years ago. also I am very greatful for all the inventions that China gave the world. Thank you!
Inventions they gave the world, so true... and all they can do now is copy/imitate.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
I think that by the end of the 21st century, China will (along with Russia and India) dominate the World.
Not if al qaeda and the muslims have their way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia