Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 7,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
@Returners: He sounds like a smart guy. Let's hope they listen to him (instead of tossing him in a jail cell for the rest of his life).
No he does not sound like a smart guy thats why this guy + a handful of other pro democracy CCP members are minorities in the CCP

Democracy is a bad thing especially for a country like China.

Would you take a random person off the street and allow him to perform brain surgery?

So why would you let a random person off the street make an economic decision for the rest of the country?

This is the belief of most chinese today, they believe that the right to vote should be earned and not something that should be given to everybody
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM

202 posts, read 568,116 times
I feel sorry for you, that you have so little confidence in your people. They're human beings, not mindless drones, which is why your communist system is destined to fail.

*All* the best nations in the world practice some form of democracy, and *all* reject totalitarianism. Sooner or later, you're going to lose.

Now, I've had this type of debate before so I'm not going to waste any more time with you. I'm pretty sure you're just going to keep spouting the party line no matter what I say, so feel free to have the last word.

Maybe someday you'll wake up and start thinking for yourself.

Last edited by elcoyoteloco; 09-05-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
I, for one, enjoyed meeting the Chinese people that I've met. I had a gorgeous Chinese girlfriend in college (didn't work out, but that's life) that I spent 1.5 years with. The chinese people I think are like any other people - most just want a good life, not worry about money so much, and be nice to others.

The Chinese government, though, I am not a fan of. Too much repression of dissenting opinions, too much censorship, too many corrupt officials who get bribed by corporations who skirt the law (see recent issues with babies getting all sorts of issues from milk), and too little regard for the environment. I also hope that the Chinese government can remain a peaceful force for good.

Intellectually, I think they are brilliant BUT I have serious issues with many rip-offs being exported from the country. There are far too many issues with patents and products invented elsewhere being copied in China and sold for a huge discount and without royalties.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM

25 posts, read 53,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a364655585 View Post
Taiwan is a Chinese provinces,I'm a Chinese live in main land ,I think Taiwan's people have less free than us ,earthquakes are so many those years certainly...but,it's aways in mountain...the earthquake never happened in my live-place...

Hi there, I'm a Chinese, too. I dunt think Taiwan is part of China, as you can see they have their own govern and laws, they actually totally free from mainland. The most important thing is they don't in heart want to be part of China, they are Taiwanese, so be it you know what I mean. I alway cannot understand why we force them to be part of them, why we consider to enclose them who acutally shame on us

we are Chinese, infact Taiwanese are more like real Chinese than us, you know what I mean? how many people in mainland have passion on acient Chinese essences? how many mainland people keep in mind the old teachings of our ancestors? we looks like Chinese but we have lost the soul of Chinese

Old 09-08-2010, 02:40 AM

6 posts, read 12,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiii View Post
we are Chinese, infact Taiwanese are more like real Chinese than us, you know what I mean? how many people in mainland have passion on acient Chinese essences? how many mainland people keep in mind the old teachings of our ancestors? we looks like Chinese but we have lost the soul of Chinese
Agreed. Taiwan is able to preserves the Chinese culture more than China itself. I hope China will abandon the Simplified writing form. The Traditional form (as used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Chinatowns around the world) is much more culture and elegant, imo.

To the OP: Are Taiwanese people governed by the laws of China or do they pay taxes to Beijing?
If not, can you explain how is Taiwan a part of China?

Last edited by d4dawg; 09-08-2010 at 02:48 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 AM

211 posts, read 566,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4dawg View Post
To the OP: Are Taiwanese people governed by the laws of China or do they pay taxes to Beijing?
If not, can you explain how is Taiwan a part of China?
I think the OP has gotten lost or forgotten about his thread. It's Chinese ideology at play here. The vast majority of Mainland Chinese believe Taiwan to be a (renegade) province of China, not an independent nation. No amount of sensical arguing is going to change that.

I've been teaching in two international schools in China for the past 4+ years. We're strictly forbidden to fly or display the Taiwanese flag for any reason. We discourage any research done on the topic of Taiwanese independence. We certainly don't teach it.

And that's life in China!

S

Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
how many people in mainland have passion on acient Chinese essences? how many mainland people keep in mind the old teachings of our ancestors? we looks like Chinese but we have lost the soul of Chinese
I'm glad there are some who recognize this. I think the saddest thing I've seen--in terms of historical preservation--was the 600 year-old monastary in "Shangrila" being torn down to make way for a shiny new tourist-friendly replica.

I really couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that. We rounded a bend in the high hills and there was the monastary, with two gleaming white-painted cinderblock towers (newly "reconstructed") and a big cloud of dust where heavy equipment was tearing down the last yellow brick-and-mud walls of the old building. I'm sure it's completely gone and replaced by kitch now.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:57 PM

202 posts, read 568,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreadhead View Post
...The vast majority of Mainland Chinese believe Taiwan to be a (renegade) province of China, not an independent nation. No amount of sensical arguing is going to change that...
They apparently also had some similar excuse for invading Tibet:
Chinese invasion of Tibet: Chinese Government Perspective

Last edited by elcoyoteloco; 09-08-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM

13 posts, read 58,849 times
Quote:
Hi there, I'm a Chinese, too. I dunt think Taiwan is part of China, as you can see they have their own govern and laws, they actually totally free from mainland. The most important thing is they don't in heart want to be part of China, they are Taiwanese, so be it you know what I mean. I alway cannot understand why we force them to be part of them, why we consider to enclose them who acutally shame on us

You are Chinese?I won't belive ,no people want to have a weak mothercountry,may we are less like “real Chinese ” ,but,we just real China,time is passing,culture is changing,so,most is right

Old 09-08-2010, 11:59 PM

25 posts, read 53,708 times
the situation of Tibet is different of Taiwan, regarding no matter the history or the current condition.
Historically, Taiwan is part of China but historically. it is very common that one big country separates apart or several smaller counties reunion together. I dunt want to argue anything with any nonChinese about the history of our own country or even the history of Asia, Chinese are leaving in Asia for several thousands years at least, and the history has been well documented and most morden Chinese have less difficulty to read the Chinese words written thousand years ago.
I would like to mention that the relation between Mainland and Taiwan obviously is not totally controlled by Chinese and Taiwanese. Some country or actually some companies is happy to see the wired or hostile relation between these two regions. I am not criticizing anybody, because this may also explain why two Korean brothers can hardly shake hads with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia