Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM

13 posts, read 58,827 times

Advertisements

[quote=sponger42;15632651]Taiwan is an independent nation. quote]
I don't want to talk about polite,but you have to know ,Taiwan is NOT a country,in all of us Chinese people's heart,we are compatriots,though,beacouse of so much things,there are so many differents,but,we are Chinese,and you may konw,Cantonese is different from Mandarin Chinese,I can' speak and hear today,the people live in Guangxi,they have so many local costum,but,wo are Chinese,a invisible rope connects us to one part ,it may called culture,we have same yellow skin and black eyes,why don't we reclaimed Taiwan by army,becase both are Chinese,nobody will kill his children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
In a way I am fascinated by chinese culture and their history. I'm going to visit Beijing next year and I love Chinese food (not the junk food often sold in the US as "Chinese" but real chinese food in Chinatown etc.).

On the other hand I am a bit concerned about their "copy and paste" manufacturing industry as they copy technical products from the US and EU, build them for half the price and sell as their own. This is absolutely not the right way.
We said "eating in Chengdu",if u want to eat ,Chengdu is better,Beijing and Shanghai is too dirty and expensive,I love Chengdu more...

Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
I like the Chinese people, their various cultures, and I especially respect their culinary abilities. As an aspiring chef, I think there is much to be learned from the Chinese people.

However, I don't like the Chinese government's policies towrds it's political and religious dissidents, it's alliances with North Korea and Sudan, and I especially find distasteful it's policies towards the nation of Tibet, and the Uyghur Muslims and other non-Chinese citizens of China.

That said, I also strongly disapprove of most of my own government's foreign and domestic policies, such as the war in Iraq, how we treat the immigrants that are here to do the jobs we won't do, and lack of support for the Native Americans.

As usual, the more powerful nations become, the worse they get. Better to focus on the people themselves, who most often don't have much to do with what their governments get up to.
In fact,we respect our gov.,1.3bil. people,questions become problems,50years ago,there are a lot of people died of hunger,but now,everyone can eat well,wear well,so ,wo don't want more...

Last edited by a364655585; 08-26-2010 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
China is a world within a world. Amazing to say the least.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
China is the ultimate survivor! And I mean this socially, economically, culturally. It has incredible history.

I am glad that it's economy has found its niche in the world. I think it benefits only a small portion of its people (it is such a humongous country), but it's finding its way.

Much of it is geographically harsh, and much of its inhabitants are the poor who work their a---- off. But some of those places are also gloriously beautiful, and those tough people bear down and do what they need to do to survive, generation after generation.

I can't say much good about its government control. It bothers me that religion is forbidden, and punitive measures towards those who are caught practicing it.

Its people are beautiful. I admire the cool but gracious reserve in their demeanor. I also love much of its art (but not Chinese Opera!).

Old 08-29-2010, 07:04 AM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
In a way I am fascinated by chinese culture and their history. I'm going to visit Beijing next year and I love Chinese food (not the junk food often sold in the US as "Chinese" but real chinese food in Chinatown etc.).

On the other hand I am a bit concerned about their "copy and paste" manufacturing industry as they copy technical products from the US and EU, build them for half the price and sell as their own. This is absolutely not the right way.
I would have a more favorable view of the country if they'd improve the quality of their exports. I don't buy "made in China" anymore if there is an option, and if the only option is poorly manufactured I'll just go without.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:53 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
[quote=a364655585;15640665]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Taiwan is an independent nation. quote]
I don't want to talk about polite,but you have to know ,Taiwan is NOT a country,in all of us Chinese people's heart,we are compatriots,though,beacouse of so much things,there are so many differents,but,we are Chinese,and you may konw,Cantonese is different from Mandarin Chinese,I can' speak and hear today,the people live in Guangxi,they have so many local costum,but,wo are Chinese,a invisible rope connects us to one part ,it may called culture,we have same yellow skin and black eyes,why don't we reclaimed Taiwan by army,becase both are Chinese,nobody will kill his children
Sorry, but for me to believe you, A PRC citizen who says you are one country, over a Taiwanese citizen who says you are two different countries, would be like you believing me if I told you Cuba was the 51st state.

Taiwan is a country, despite what The Party tells you. Likewise, Taiwan remains independent because of China's poor force-projection power and the defense agreement between Taiwan and the United States. There was no invisible bond of brotherhood protecting the intellectuals who were killed in China during the Cultural Revolution and other pogroms or the communist sympathizers who were killed during Taiwan's White Terror.

China and Taiwan might reunite or they might not, but they are two clearly separate countries today. I have visited both, and I suggest you visit Taiwan if you can. It is a beautiful island full of friendly people. It is too bad that you would not be let out of your tour group to wander around and experience Taiwan's culture on your own, because that is the best way to experience it.

Maybe we have common ground in thinking that ECFA and other trade and economic ties between the PRC and the ROC are a positive step. Co-operation between the two countries is essential to both in resolving the old conflicts. I think that Taiwan, as a modern 1st-world democracy with distinctively Chinese influences and implementation of representative government, can show the PRC how to peacefully transition from a authoritarian regime to a government of, by, and for the people.

In any case, time will solve this issue and prove you right, if you are right. So long as the governments of Taiwan and the PRC do not act hastily or make unnaturally forceful decisions, their peoples' can work together toward a future of cooperation and peace.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:03 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
I would have a more favorable view of the country if they'd improve the quality of their exports. I don't buy "made in China" anymore if there is an option, and if the only option is poorly manufactured I'll just go without.
If you don't buy "made in china" then you will hardly buy anything. Most things will be import now. If the crowns from Washington continue their current policy, then everything will be imported.

The quality of the good is not controlled by the Chinese. it is controlled by the companies who buy them. If a China man can produces a very good TV for the cost for $200, but Walmart only pay $150 for this TV, do you think this China man (supplier) going to pay $200 to product and sell it for $150? Of course no. They will cut their quality to like $100 so they can sell it for $150 and make a profit.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:47 AM

336 posts, read 908,089 times
Your right, I don't buy much anymore. And we're not any worse off for it. I very very rarely shop at Walmart...actually now that I think about it I can probably count on one hand how many times I've been there this year. The recession has made us far more picky on what we spend our money on.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 10,373 times
This involves some political questions such like Taiwan,Tibet(we call it Xizang province).About these questions I have to say that they are some nation-level problems,the public is influenced by the government and the Medium as you don't come to China yourself and you have to admit you know about China mainly by the Media such as TV,newspaper,broadcasting,don't you?Nation is a tool for some people to control the the pulic,including China,the US...No country is except.Am I right?
Maybe we public should focus on the other country's culture,tradition,people and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia