Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM

37 posts, read 137,264 times

Advertisements

I do not think the majority of the Chinese are evil. China's leadership, on the other hand is the true evil empire.

Remember, during the "great leap forward", a period in which China's people were dying in the millions everyday, its government, instead of improving the lives of Chinese, was funding communists in Vietnam!

(If I were the president of the U.S. I would've nuked the ****in bastards).

Old 08-28-2007, 04:19 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,082 times
To- briarwood. i hope you do realize that you quoting my response to the comment by rqnll, where he/she said china is a godless hell hole and that some of things that happen there would neve happen in a christian majority country.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
Well, I have to admit, this thread sounds like a few articles re-worded, and a few websites looked up.

I'm curious about those of you who have lived in China, and if you did, are you fluent in Mandarin and/or Cantonese? (Meaning that you could communicate with natives of China -- although I do realize that Mandarin is the official language of China.) If you lived in China, what are your observations and experiences with the Chinese, what part of China did you live in, and what did you see as a common culture there?

Being immersed in another culture gives one intimate insight into the pros and cons of that culture. I think that people who have lived in China, or are closely involved with Chinese people, can better answer these questions.

China is not a thriving country like the U.S. There are many poor (mostly in the country), and even those living in some major Chinese cities don't have clean water and must boil their daily drinking water.

I know there are many cultural stereotypes about China and the U.S., and other countries. This thread seems to be based on assumptions, stereotypes, a few articles, and some web surfing.

I think that the answers on this thread give answers to the Original Poster's question -- there is a lack of information in the U.S. about China, lack of contact with their culture, and lack of education about their culture.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad I live in America, however, having traveled widely, known many people of many cultures, I see the negatives here, too. Unfortunately, it seems that too many Americans have a chip on their shoulder about our country, and we are not perfect people by any means.

To isolate a few articles that can be equally aligned with negative articles about the U.S. seems silly. I understand this is about giving opinions, however, intelligent opinions are based upon intelligent information -- not assumptions, not a few stereotypes, and not a lack of contact with that culture.

It would be more useful to answer the question with insight, knowledge, and experience, rather than just spouting stereotypes -- about both China and the U.S. -- propaganda is not restricted to one country -- the U.S. is very clever with its own propaganda.

Again, it would be nice to hear from people who have lived in China, or worked extensively there, or are involved in the Chinese culture in some other way.

Believe me, the U.S. doesn't look so good to many people abroad -- that I am sure of. A few negative stereotypes plucked from the air can harm any culture.

I hope there will be insightful and informed answers later -- from those who have sat on both sides of the fence, rather than reading biased reports, just as those in other countries read biased reports about us. It's a two-way street. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:56 PM

37 posts, read 137,264 times
One major factor we can not deny, and should take into consideration, is the role of public relations. Good old (expensive) PR.

I must admit, certain countries or peoples seem to be enjoy better immunity to global scrutiny.

Similarly with local poltics...

Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
PTL

19 posts, read 112,335 times
Sorry if this thread sounds re-worded to you - but I was born and grew up in China. And my family moved to US when I was 18 years old. I've in the US for more than 10 years. Yes, I speak both Mandarin and Cantonese. I think my responds were truly based on my experiences and observations of the two countries.

I see US as my adopt parent. I love both countries and feel obliged to reply if someone made false statements about either one. It will be interesting to compare both cultures. To make it short and say the least, people who live in US are much more fortunate than those who live in China. If I need to explain the reasons, then I probably need to write a book, which is not my intention here.

It is hard for people to not have stereotypes. They come from lack of information and experience. As I have friends both in China and US, it is funny that I often need to debate on the both sides of the same issue. It is just very complicated...

Last edited by PTL; 08-29-2007 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-29-2007, 10:18 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,507 times
Quote:
PTL: I see US as my adopt parent. I love both countries and feel obliged to reply if someone made false statements about either one. It will be interesting to compare both cultures. To make it short and say the least, people who live in US are much more fortunate than those who live in China. If I need to explain the reasons, then I probably need to write a book, which is not my intention here.

It is hard for people to not have stereotypes. They come from lack of information and experience. As I have friends both in China and US, it is funny that I often need to debate on the both sides of the same issue. It is just very complicated...
Thank you for giving that information. I can understand how difficult it is to ride in the middle of two worlds. Actually, a book isn't a bad idea!

You are in a good position to make it clear to both sides what the other is like. Neither is perfect, however, we are all still human beings desiring similar things and needs. Once we can accept that we have more in common than we have that is different, the path to tolerance is much easier.

I am glad that you enjoy the U.S., and I'm happy you have maintained your friends in China. Although difficult being in the middle, you are actually in a great position to help bridge differences. Thanks so much for your input!

Wisteria

Old 08-30-2007, 11:57 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,082 times
To PTL- dude i ve been noticing from your posts that your very cool and wise - and i am sure its all because of your past experiences, and there are many out there who wish they had a good grasp of things like you have.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,447 times
this post sounds like taliban.

accusing another country to be the evil of the world.

I KNOW, WE SHOULD JIHAD CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
China is , without question, a danger, to us and many other countries.
We err in buying their goods. Those profits will fall in the hands of the dictatorship and be used against everything we stand for.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,447 times
maybe somebody can explain to me the error in this..

if..we have super large corporations like walmart setting up factories in poorer countries, china included, in order to benefit from cheap as hell labor ("abuse cheap labor" is more appropriate i think).
paying them dirt cheap..and forcing them (and by forcing, i mean, if they want to stay employed---and dont argue with me on this, if you are poor enough to even consider this job---this situation becomes virtual force) to live in housing where there's 4-6 to a tiny room (but again, there is security in knowing you have a place to sleep---even if it's side by side with a coworker...hah[insert irony here]...)

how is it that we are in a position to resent them, when they're doing this for us..(haha...that makes it sound like they have a choice)? or call them evil..or better yet, dangerous. oh right! because we're american

the US is an empire. we set up virtual labor enslavement camps in poor countries..because we can. who's gonna stop us? certainly not the poor country-they want food at the end of the night, and so, checkmate

id much rather use chinese toothpaste, then be a walmart slave in china.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia