Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,029 times

Advertisements

From what I understand, getting a passport is a lot of work. My exchange student had to fly from Western China to Eastern China to get her passport. It was quite an ordeal, I understand. And it was at the last moment.

I don't think China is as well-organized as many other countries. They may have a 5,000 year history, but they're just starting to catch up to the ways and means of more established countries.

I think that having the Olympics there will make them have to confront the cultures of other countries and learn to adapt a bit more to a global society. I remember having to actually teach our student (a member of the more upper class society in China) how to eat! I'm not kidding. She looked like a chipmunk when she ate! I had to explain how one needed to chew politely, how to sit properly how to hold her fork properly (and they do use regular utensils there), and how to not hold her food up above her head and aim it into her mouth. Honestly, she ate like a pig! So, we actually had "etiquette lessons!" Seriously. Eventually, she got the idea (and this was a very bright girl), but it was weird to watch. So when you read about how dirty things are, and how manners are out the window, just remember that it is towards themselves, too, not just outsiders. That's how they live.

Anyway, sorry, got off track there. Just trying to make the point that even though we see China as so different from the outside, that one should remember that even inside China, it's not so great. They are definitely trying, however, there is still far to go in terms of being on equal footing with the rest of the developed world.

I held the same stereotypes until she came to live with us -- it truly was an eyeopener.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM

114 posts, read 399,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
From what I understand, getting a passport is a lot of work. My exchange student had to fly from Western China to Eastern China to get her passport. It was quite an ordeal, I understand. And it was at the last moment.
Western China is deemed as the deprived and remote.If you live in Shanghai,getting a passport is easy.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM

114 posts, read 399,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Anyway, sorry, got off track there. Just trying to make the point that even though we see China as so different from the outside, that one should remember that even inside China, it's not so great. They are definitely trying, however, there is still far to go in terms of being on equal footing with the rest of the developed world.

I held the same stereotypes until she came to live with us -- it truly was an eyeopener.
Maybe China needs 100 years to catch up developed word.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:40 AM

7 posts, read 44,324 times
I am in china now,i feel there is so good,it is safe,beautiful and have cheap hotel en en ,i will come back to beijing in 2008.But there is so much that make me surprise.Chinese only have one Party,but people who live in china not oppose that.Chinese haven't religion!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 PM
PTL

19 posts, read 112,343 times
Just want to make clear one thing: Chinese does have religions. Christianity is one of the fasting growing religions in China now and many of they worship "underground" since the government has put pressure on those kinds of gathering in the fear of people are plotting overthrow the government.

China has only one political party in power (the Communist party) and people have no choice about that. They have been brain-washed through media and school education to accept the one-party control the country. But more and more Chinese become politically conscious about that through the internet - media is government controlled as well.

Last edited by PTL; 08-24-2007 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 12:06 PM
PTL

Default Better or worst

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthUp View Post
I think China should be isolated from the rest of the world.
Believe it or not, China is a big player in the economic growth of US in the world. Just look at China as one that is getting there, but not quite, I am looking forward to see it get there one day - isolating it is not the way!

Old 08-24-2007, 12:22 PM
PTL

Reading this thread gives me a feeling that some people might equate the Chinese government with Chinese people. Just like you can't say US government = US citizens, Chinese people are not equal to their government. You might not like the way the government run the country, doesn't mean the country itself have nothing to offer. Right?

China is a country has been through a lot: World War II - 8 countries invaded and divided China, followed after that 7 years of Civil war, Communist party finally took control of the country, then they started the culture revolutionary war which turned many lives upside down and so many families were broken. Until Mao's death, the country was closed to the outside world, economically and politically. The Chinese people had been blinded by the government for such a long time, with such pain and agony. Chinese still watches news that are filtered by the government. Chinese youngsters are still being educated in school that the Communism is the only way...but I could see the country is changing on the right direction. It is so much different than 10 years ago.

It really broke my heart to see the abandoned infant girl on the road side. It leaves me speechless in defending the country that I once lived and still love. The only thing I want to say is that there are still so much needed to be done and I am looking forward to see that happen.

Last edited by PTL; 08-24-2007 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 12:44 PM
PTL

Default Not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
yes China is isolated.Why just Chineses can so hard get passport ?
Getting a passport is not that hard any more - you just need to pay for it, although the amount is still considered quite a lot for some Chinese - now getting a Visa is much harder!!

Old 08-24-2007, 06:23 PM

37 posts, read 137,282 times
Most of china is a Godless hell hole. Most Godless countries are.

There is a link to an article about a corpse of a baby girl, naked, laying on the street, and people are just passing her right by...how utterly coldhearted.

I don't wear my religion (Episcopal) on my sleeve but something like that could never have occured in a Christian majority country.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
Quote:
I don't wear my religion (Episcopal) on my sleeve but something like that could never have occured in a Christian majority country.
I guess you didn't see all those bodies piled up by the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina, then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia