Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,665 times

Advertisements

I worked at Bradley in EP RI If you can up the rewards for your child every week go for it. Children don't learn skills they can take home just in the Bradley arena. There are good programs across the nation-it depends on how well people treat your child and keep up with best practices. Look at CDC website for current data-Discrete trials is OUT! Kids cannot function independently-finally research shows it is a waste of time. Look for programs with TEACCH, visual supports(number 1 intervention for all ages according to the CDC) Contemporary Applied Behavior Analysis-no more discrete trials. if your child is learning to touch his head, pick up the green bear or learn road signs in middle school but can't ask to go the bathroom or tell you when they are feeling sick get out of the program!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 13,156 times
I am a mother of 2 Autistic teenage boys and due to employment I have to relocate my family from PA to AZ...I have been trying to research and speak to everyone I can regarding school districts and services in Arizona. I get conflicting information. Some parents are happy, some are not, some say you can get the services just have to be tough....People say go to Gilbert, some say Chandler, then I heard Mesa, then Scottsdale. So now I am very confused...any info would be appreciated! The services where I live in Pittsburgh are wonderful I would recommend it here to anyone....we are so sad to have to leave, but in these times, we are just grateful that one of us have job!!!

Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM

4 posts, read 12,707 times
Default Best schools in Phoenix area for Autistic children

Hello Cheryl05,
I live in Mesa and it is unfortunate that I must inform you that the Mesa Public Schools are overall, not prepared or really interested in helping students with autism spectrum disorders. Teachers and school principals, even the so-called school psychologists, in our experience, are especially uninformed and unskilled. It has taken years to even get an IEP. Bullying is a real problem, too and while school administrators give lip-service to bullying prevention - that's really all it is. They have "aides" on the playground areas who have zero skills in handling the complexities of children with autism spectrum disorders.

We are not in the financial position to seek out a private school, but from what I've heard from other parents, that is not necessarily the answer here in Arizona either.

Our child is younger than yours - so I can't refer a specific high school, but I did hear about a program at Stapley Junior High (in Mesa) that you may want to look into. I do not know if they have a high school program. I would also recommend that you join one of the local support groups that link parents together such as:

Page Title

Asperger Parent Network (http://www.apn.150m.com/Original%20APN%20Website/default.htm - broken link)

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,707 times
Cheryl05,
Would like to share this group with you, too, since your boys are high school age: www.azassist.com

P.S. We did find a school where they are making some real effort by establishing a specific program - Madison Elementary - but that is the exception, not the norm in our experience.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Default Been There

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl05 View Post
I am a mother of 2 Autistic teenage boys and due to employment I have to relocate my family from PA to AZ...I have been trying to research and speak to everyone I can regarding school districts and services in Arizona. I get conflicting information. Some parents are happy, some are not, some say you can get the services just have to be tough....People say go to Gilbert, some say Chandler, then I heard Mesa, then Scottsdale. So now I am very confused...any info would be appreciated! The services where I live in Pittsburgh are wonderful I would recommend it here to anyone....we are so sad to have to leave, but in these times, we are just grateful that one of us have job!!!
Cheryl,

You will get a lot of conflicting responses. I have a Masters in Education and also have a stepson with mild mental retardation and tourett’s. I do not teach but am well aware of many of the school districts.

My stepson has attended school in the Paradise Valley, Scottsdale and Gilbert Districts. Scottsdale was the worst (currently being investigated by the federal government for denying special needs access). Paradise Valley is o.k. as long as you threaten them with lawsuits. Gilbert is the best of the three. I believe the best I have observed, overall, is Kyrene.

Mesa - depends upon your religion and which part of the very large school district you reside.

Here is what I see as the problem. The parents of the student need to educate themselves in the matter. Do not rely on the administration to "do the right thing." It will never happen. The administration are simply bureaucrats looking for the next best gig. They are not there to fight for your children - they are there for political and monetary gain.

If you are moving here and have a special needs child, always check the school and teacher first. Meet with the head of special education with the District. Have the IEP in hand and know it very well. If the IEP is not well written, hire somebody to help write it correctly.

In essence, your experience will only be positive if you put the effort into the matter.

Good Luck

Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padme10 View Post
Cheryl05,
Would like to share this group with you, too, since your boys are high school age: [URL="http://www.azassist.com/"]www.azassist.com[/URL]

P.S. We did find a school where they are making some real effort by establishing a specific program - Madison Elementary - but that is the exception, not the norm in our experience.

Best of luck to you.
Padme,

You are right, but the problem with Madison is the heavy rotation of Principal's at that school. It raises some concern.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,343 times
Hello, I have a autistic 5 yr old boy who needs to be in some sort of sports. I cant find anything in Mesa,AZ. We are willing to go as far as other nearby cities.If anybody out there can help me find something for the summer would be great!!

[mod cut-- do not post your email address online. People can respond here or send you a Direct Message through this forum].

Last edited by observer53; 06-04-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,314 times
I wouldn't move to Georgia, Florida, or Arizona. There are not many charter or private (scholarships) options in Arizona. I moved here after living South East Georgia and Jacksonville, FL. I originally am from the New England states and the funding is much better and there are many more private schools (usually paid for by local public systems). The public schools depend on your individual teacher. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad. As a teacher, I can none of these states are better than the schools I went to in Connecticut.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
my sisters grandson is 13 and has asperger. she needs help. the school that he was in treated him as if he was crininal. she is having a meeting with the school tomorrow and she is at the end of her rope. she lives in glendale and has money problems. I live in ky i wish i lived out there. [mod]snip[/mod] we need a good school asp

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-11-2011 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: Do not post your email address on an internet forum - it's not wise or safe.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,158 times
Chandler as far as i know is not giving a fair attention for my daughter who is autism in my knowledge my daughter goes in Chandler school , she is now in junior high , and its just like babysitting for me.I am trying to expose my daughter to a typical kids but chandler is keeping her in room that the kids there is worse than her.I hate to see her there in that classroom where she at right now.I know she dont belong there but i cant win .As far as i know theres a lot of special and tthats the only school that my daughter fit?Thats hard to beleive?I am very frustrated?I feel so depress .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona