Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 17,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazmom View Post
My daughter is in the Osborn school district in Phoenix. They have a classroom specifically designed for children on the Autism spectrum. They have the self contained classrooms and they also mainstream some of the kids if they feel it would benefit your child. The class is located at their Encanto school and that is right near the center of downtown Phoenix. There are practically 2 adults for every child they have in the class. My daughter loves going there.
Hello,
im relocating to AZ and looking for a school for my son who has Autism, and wanted to know a little bit more about this school district and how your child has progressed being in that district, and how the students in the mainstream respond to autistic children. any information would be awesome... we are leaving michigan oct 1st...shall be over there in az Oct.3 rd....

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 01:08 AM

3 posts, read 13,164 times
Now we just left San Antonio not too long ago; the school on the Northwest side of San Antonio are good but no where else. There were some "special ed" teachers that did not have degrees or certification....and yet they were in the classroom with special ed children....I experienced that first hand...so my advice....seriously check it out first by asking the hard questions....like, do you have a degree....sounds crazy and unrealistic but it's very true.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:15 AM

3 posts, read 13,164 times
Hi Diana,
I presently live in the Queen Creek area, however we are in the Cooliage school district. Our son is Autistic and the "services" they offer are horrible. They have put our son in a classroom with mentally retarded children with a teacher that has no expereince with autistic children. My husband and I are about to pull him out of this school. Can you give me more information about the program in Gilbert?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,367 times
Red face DTT help needed in Surprise,AZ

I'm hoping someone could assist me. My autistic son was just approved for Discrete Trail Teaching (DTT) hours through DDD but I'm having problems finding providers in Surprise,AZ. Thank you for any help.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiedd View Post
I'm hoping someone could assist me. My autistic son was just approved for Discrete Trail Teaching (DTT) hours through DDD but I'm having problems finding providers in Surprise,AZ. Thank you for any help.
I do not believe DTT stands for discrete trail teaching, but I may be wrong.

DTA and DTT programs have been closing down lately due to financial issues, I guess when parents don't think they should have to pay for the service and leave it to the gov't this sort of thing happens.

My fiance works in the field, and we both agree that it should be paid for by the parent because just because you have a disability does not mean kids without one should have to pay for daycare, which is essentially what DTT is.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,247 times
I would not say so, I worked for Division of Developmental Disabilities and had constant issues with several school districts, who do not have good programs. I have heard there are a couple of programs in public ie Balsz Elem. School. Dist.,there is a special school in Mesa, I forgot the name. there is a great little academy in the Glendale school district High Star, there is a school for spec. ed. in the Alhanbra school dist. High schools are worse unless the parents stay on top of it daily and it is still a struggle and fight! It is very frustrating to say the least. Az was the last state to come into the Medicaid long term care program and the schools have balked every step of the way. Hopefully they will get a new Superintendant in November!!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 02:21 AM

4 posts, read 12,715 times
Thank you all for your input - I am trying to find the right school for my son who has been diagnosed with Asperger's, ADHD, OCD and Anxiety - it has been very difficult in the traditional classroom setting this year. Any additional comments/suggestions are much appreciated. We live in East Mesa.

Rachel0901 - is the Mesa school perhaps Falcon Hill?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,845 times
I have a 10 year old son with DD and ASD. H e attends SHARP school in mesa and its an awesome school!!! he has attended since the 1st grade

[url=http://www.mpsaz.org/sharp/]S.H.A.R.P.[/url]

SHARP School

Eagles

School Home Adjustment Reinforcement Program

7302 E. Adobe St.

Mesa, Arizona 85207

(480) 472-8960

Fax (480) 472-8977

SHARP School Mission Statement

It is the mission of the SHARP School Community, comprising the Administration Staff, Parents and the Students of SHARP School, to provide a learning environment that fosters the development of appropriate behavioral coping skills; relevant academic tools; and the proper motivation to facilitate a successful return to a comprehensive campus as expeditiously as possible. Towards that end, the SHARP School Community will work collaboratively as a team to effect the positive change.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Arizona is a great place to live but there are much better services in the liberal states like NY, Pa, Ma to name a few.
They do have some help through the state with hab therapy,respite but therapy workers are in huge demand and short supply.The problem with the schools here is one year it can be good and then they change things and it is lousy.
I recommend moving here but I just want you to be informed correctly.I have a 10 year old with vaccine induced autism.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 12,715 times
Default Thanks

Thank you dianainaz62 - I will check this out. Very much appreciate your posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianainaz62 View Post
I have a 10 year old son with DD and ASD. H e attends SHARP school in mesa and its an awesome school!!! he has attended since the 1st grade

S.H.A.R.P.

SHARP School

Eagles

School Home Adjustment Reinforcement Program

7302 E. Adobe St.

Mesa, Arizona 85207

(480) 472-8960

Fax (480) 472-8977

SHARP School Mission Statement

It is the mission of the SHARP School Community, comprising the Administration Staff, Parents and the Students of SHARP School, to provide a learning environment that fosters the development of appropriate behavioral coping skills; relevant academic tools; and the proper motivation to facilitate a successful return to a comprehensive campus as expeditiously as possible. Towards that end, the SHARP School Community will work collaboratively as a team to effect the positive change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona