Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
A good question to ask is what California was like when it was a Republican state.
That is going to be a mixed bag. The Dot Com bubble boosted the GDP of CA during Wilson's time in office. Not sure what happened to tank that under Davis in 2001...went from 7.6% growth to -0.3%. Not all of that can be the .com bubble bursting but it could be. It went back to 4%, Schwarzenegger comes into office in 2003 and the Recession hits in 2005/2006 and the whole country tanked. Under Brown it has come back up to 2.8% (According to this graphic) but I haven't been able to find anything pre-1998 under Deukmejian or Reagan. My guess would be that CA's fortunes coincide with the ebbs and flows of the US, being one of the top states in regards to GDP in general (trading spots with Texas regularly). I am sure there are some older Californians on here that would remember. I know that CA was hit hard by the Oil Embargo in the 70s. I remember waiting in lines in my parents' car to get gas...I would think the 80s were pretty good as I don't remember my parents complaining about much and I was in grades 2-12 during those years...Did the S&L scandal that hit AZ affect CA?

Interesting question though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:28 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That is going to be a mixed bag. The Dot Com bubble boosted the GDP of CA during Wilson's time in office. Not sure what happened to tank that under Davis in 2001...went from 7.6% growth to -0.3%. Not all of that can be the .com bubble bursting but it could be. It went back to 4%, Schwarzenegger comes into office in 2003 and the Recession hits in 2005/2006 and the whole country tanked. Under Brown it has come back up to 2.8% (According to this graphic) but I haven't been able to find anything pre-1998 under Deukmejian or Reagan. My guess would be that CA's fortunes coincide with the ebbs and flows of the US, being one of the top states in regards to GDP in general (trading spots with Texas regularly). I am sure there are some older Californians on here that would remember. I know that CA was hit hard by the Oil Embargo in the 70s. I remember waiting in lines in my parents' car to get gas...I would think the 80s were pretty good as I don't remember my parents complaining about much and I was in grades 2-12 during those years...Did the S&L scandal that hit AZ affect CA?

Interesting question though.
Second consideration is that what is a Republican now is not what was a Republican back then.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:49 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Flag IS cold, it's more like Chicago than LA or even Phoenix.
Hmm, no I disagree. It's more like Denver than anything, but with the dry climate and mountains and mild summers it's decidedly more West Coast than Midwestern. You can drive even an hour east of SD or LA into the mountains and find places (i.e. Julian, Idyllwild, Big Bear) that get snow in the winter.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:03 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Hmm, no I disagree. It's more like Denver than anything, but with the dry climate and mountains and mild summers it's decidedly more West Coast than Midwestern. You can drive even an hour east of SD or LA into the mountains and find places (i.e. Julian, Idyllwild, Big Bear) that get snow in the winter.
I was talking about Flag winters. You're right about the summers, they're decent.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:28 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGregorShow View Post
Someone jsut said they can rent a great room for 1,000.

You couldn't even buy a chair for less than 1,000 in San Francisco.
Probably why I moved from San Francisco to Arizona...and stayed in Arizona.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:55 PM

245 posts, read 545,326 times
It's all about location. I used to live in AZ and do not miss it at all. Yes I do miss the nicer freeways, the grid system of Phoenix and how easy it is to get around the city but you just cannot compare how life changes when you live in California. I do live inland in an area that is much less attractive than Phoenix lol, but within an hour I can be on the beach, high desert, ski resorts, universal studios, Disneyland, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Knotts berry farm, six flags, I could go on and on. Weekends in AZ if you stay in town it's either, hiking, the mall or some festival going on. You can only visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon so much. I do believe it's worth the cost, the smog, the traffic but as soon as I see that coast I know it's worth it to live in California.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
It's all about location. I used to live in AZ and do not miss it at all. Yes I do miss the nicer freeways, the grid system of Phoenix and how easy it is to get around the city but you just cannot compare how life changes when you live in California. I do live inland in an area that is much less attractive than Phoenix lol, but within an hour I can be on the beach, high desert, ski resorts, universal studios, Disneyland, Santa Monica, Hollywood, Knotts berry farm, six flags, I could go on and on. Weekends in AZ if you stay in town it's either, hiking, the mall or some festival going on. You can only visit Sedona and the Grand Canyon so much. I do believe it's worth the cost, the smog, the traffic but as soon as I see that coast I know it's worth it to live in California.
People can easily fly from Phoenix, Tucson. they can be to the same areas in an hour or two but, for 1,000 dollars a month they can get a 5 bedroom new build with a pool, jacuzzi and golf course around the corner.
They can save and get spoiled at the beach several times a year. It's really no contest if you care about finances. Not to mention, no fires, earthquakes, or 60hour work weeks.

If you make a good solid $250,000 a year you can do pretty well by the beach (within short driving distance). If not then you'll be one of the many trying to make it on $100,000 dollars a year. That feels like $40,000 a year when you live in any of the "good" areas of CA and have a family. Paycheck to paycheck. I guess it all has to do with your priorities and where you want your kids to go to school, etc. I wouldn't raise kids there unless I made a good chunk of change. You could have so much more in Phoenix, or the like, for a lot less $$$. Not to mention earthquake insurance, and Mello Roos.

If all you want is the coast, you go weekly, and don't have kids, I guess you'd find it worth the price you pay.
But if you just make it down there 4 or 5 times a year, and don't want to live in an old, stinky, shoe box, I'd pick someplace like Phoenix.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:09 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
All the liberal states have high costs of living because they are quick to give taxpayer money to fund all types of welfare programs for legal and illegals. The problem with liberalism is eventually you run out of other peoples money to spend so you have to continue to tax the working class and eventually they leave the state.

Taxpayers Fleeing Democrat-Run States for Republican Ones

https://www.atr.org/taxpayers-fleein...epublican-ones

Quote:
Top 5 loser states for Democrat governors in 2013:

· New York (114,929 people with $5.7 billion in AGI)

· Illinois (68,943 people with $3.8 billion in AGI)

· California (47,458 people with 3.8 billion in AGI)

· Connecticut (14,453 people with $1.8 billion in AGI)

· Massachusetts (11,915 people with $1 billion in AGI)

Top 5 winner states for Republican governors in 2013:

· Texas (152,912 people with $6 billion in AGI)

· Florida (74,094 people with 8.3 billion in AGI)

· South Carolina (29,176 people with 1.6 billion in AGI)

· North Carolina (26,207 people with $1.5 billion in AGI)

· Arizona (16,549 people with $1.5 billion in AGI)

In 2013, more than 200,000 people on net fled states with Democrat governors for ones run by Republicans, according to an analysis of newly released IRS data by Americans for Tax Reform.
"People move away from high tax states to low tax states. Every tax refugee is sending a powerful message to politicians," said ATR President Grover Norquist. "They are voting with their feet. Leaders in Texas and Florida are listening. New York and California are not."
That year, Democrat-run states lost a net 226,763 taxpayers, bringing with them nearly $15.7 billion in adjusted gross income (AGI). That same year, states with Republican governors gained nearly 220,000 new taxpayers, who brought more than $14.1 billion in AGI with them.
What a ridiculous assertion. Illinois now has a Republican governor who is messing things up. All the states mentioned are wealthy urban states in the North for the most part who naturally are losing people to lower cost sunbelt states.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What a ridiculous assertion. Illinois now has a Republican governor who is messing things up. All the states mentioned are wealthy urban states in the North for the most part who naturally are losing people to lower cost sunbelt states.
Now you've done it

She had a 15 page thread where she repeated this post ad nauseum.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:58 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Second consideration is that what is a Republican now is not what was a Republican back then.
Talk about trying to muddy the waters . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona