Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:14 PM

604 posts, read 934,012 times

Advertisements

Apparently the link on the earlier post failed so here's a repost...

There's an interesting examination of the assumption that red states receive more in federal subsidies than blue states. First this warning; if you prefer propaganda sheets such as Salon or Politifact then I suggest you NOT read this item

It Looks Like Red States Take Most in Federal ‘Welfare’ from this Map. But Looks Can Be Deceiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 01:00 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

There's an interesting examination of the assumption that red states receive more in federal subsidies than blue states. First this warning; if you prefer propaganda sheets such as Salon or Politifact then I suggest you NOT read this item

It Looks Like Red States Take Most in Federal ‘Welfare’ from this Map. But Looks Can Be Deceiving.
this was interesting

Quote:
And the bottom 6 states were: New Jersey, Maryland, West Virginia, Hawaii, Illinois and California – all solidly blue states.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:30 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
And you use 2 of the more expensive places in the state to live
Well yeah, that was sort of my point.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:43 PM

84 posts, read 105,702 times
Has little to do with red vs. blue, but has to do with the amount of educated population and cost of living, and the rate of wages.

The big cities and expensive places to live (hence Cali, Hawaii, New Jersey, etc.. etc...) are going to have people making more money, even working at Walmart you may be above the poverty line in some of these areas as Walmart has to pay a lot more than other parts of the country. AFIK, the feds do not adjust the poverty rates correctly for COL.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:08 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post

No that article confirmed it. Republican states encourage federal tax dollars to be spent in their states so they can reduce top marginal state income taxes (which is a good indication of how state tax cuts actually work--shifting the pot), the article then confuses state and federal funding by mixing them together to lure readers into thinking that federal funds per capita are actually higher in blue states and then concludes that it is poor apathetic liberal voters not voting as the reason why the red states skew towards the top. The last point is the most interesting, are we supposed to believe that Alabama and Mississippi are actually blue states in disguise because their overwhelming apathetic liberal constituents are too lazy to vote? weak.

In fact a better conclusion from that article is that Blue states are taxing and spending money raised by their own citizens while Red states are being subsidized federally so that they can cut state taxes on their top marginal earners. Which would lend to the initial article, Red states take in more federal funding then Blue states do. Only now it appears they do it to subsidize their top earners, yet blames poor people?

It's a very weak article with some half-hearted analysis.

A real argument would be to look at which states have the most federal land, Entitlement Spending, Indian Reservations, Military Bases, and Federal Employees. But it doesn't do that, what a strange way to argue a point.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Arizona actually has some really nice areas with beautiful scenery and great weather, like Sedona and to a lesser extent Flagstaff (due to the amount of snow they get in the winter). The problem is that the major job centers have severe weather in the summer and thus aren't very desirable, at least compared to coastal California. Also wages are suppressed due to the politics. It's similar to Florida in this regard.
Flag IS cold, it's more like Chicago than LA or even Phoenix.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:30 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
^ Makes me cringe that you admitted to being priced out of California, your own birthland. Your child is probably miserable in Inland Arizona wishing he was raised in CA. Oh well the less people the better. Too bad for every person that leaves there are 3 others gladly willing to take your spot. You just downgraded your family's life for moving in a barren desert.
That's just insulting there. Not all of us want to even put up with the crowding on the Calif coast even IF we had the money. I'm from Phoenix and I would NOT live there again cause of the crowding there in 2016.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:59 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,565,449 times
AZ has no zoning restrictions which explains the much cheaper housing statewide, and decades of unchecked environmental extremism contribute mightily to our sky-high gasoline prices---$2.85 a gallon vs. $1.99 a gallon in Phoenix or Mesa.

Those are just two reasons for 20 plus years of millions of folks leaving CA in their pursuit of a middle class life.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
AZ has no zoning restrictions which explains the much cheaper housing statewide, and decades of unchecked environmental extremism contribute mightily to our sky-high gasoline prices---$2.85 a gallon vs. $1.99 a gallon in Phoenix or Mesa.

Those are just two reasons for 20 plus years of millions of folks leaving CA in their pursuit of a middle class life.
Arizona has a lot of zoning restrictions...

Old 04-16-2016, 10:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
^ Makes me cringe that you admitted to being priced out of California, your own birthland. Your child is probably miserable in Inland Arizona wishing he was raised in CA. Oh well the less people the better. Too bad for every person that leaves there are 3 others gladly willing to take your spot. You just downgraded your family's life for moving in a barren desert.
I lived on the coast of California for over 3 years. Arizona is better, hands down, for many reasons. I was not priced out of California. I just choose not to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona