Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Don't presume everyone from here likes it. This AZ native has never liked monsoon season. The humidity makes it hard to breathe, no point in toweling yourself off after a shower, weeds, bugs, sick livestock and increased feed waste. I can't wait for it to end.
The trees and grasses depend on slow soaking winter rains. Monsoon overall contributes little.
I don't necessarily like the combination of heat & humidity, but I welcome the rain. You're correct that winter storms are more beneficial because they produce the more soaking rains. Also, they bring snow to the high country, and the snowmelt during the spring helps the low elevations with all the runoff. Winter in AZ is the true wet season, and the summer monsoon is really a secondary rainy season that brings the intense storms with a lot more noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,920,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I don't necessarily like the combination of heat & humidity, but I welcome the rain. You're correct that winter storms are more beneficial because they produce the more soaking rains. Also, they bring snow to the high country, and the snowmelt during the spring helps the low elevations with all the runoff. Winter in AZ is the true wet season, and the summer monsoon is really a secondary rainy season that brings the intense storms with a lot more noise.
You are SO right about that! lol Last night I started hearing thunder in the distance around 9 PM. By the time I went to bed at 10:30 we had a really good rain going on with LOTS of lightning and thunder. Fell asleep to that...except when a strike would BOOM close by! My cats stayed hidden under the bed.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agreed about the humidity: it's nasty right now. Only about 85F in Bullhead but STICKY!

Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,088,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
We have had nothing but slow soaking rains this past week. No gully washers, really. It's just been very nice and I like it.
We had a frogstrangler yesterday and the day before. My pastures are swamps and the flies are biblical. A lightning strike last week at a business I am involved with caused 5K dollars damage. It was "protected" by a state of the art suppression set up. The power went out and although we were able to take cash, a full house of customers bailed out like rats off a sinking ship. Untold lost cash flow. APS showed up 4 hours later. I'm a native too, and monsoon is my least favorite season.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed about the humidity: it's nasty right now. Only about 85F in Bullhead but STICKY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
We had a frogstrangler yesterday and the day before. My pastures are swamps and the flies are biblical. A lightning strike last week at a business I am involved with caused 5K dollars damage. It was "protected" by a state of the art suppression set up. The power went out and although we were able to take cash, a full house of customers bailed out like rats off a sinking ship. Untold lost cash flow. APS showed up 4 hours later. I'm a native too, and monsoon is my least favorite season.
Humidity is so bad I'm getting sick. Not good.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:18 PM

69 posts, read 67,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
Active? The 2013 monsoon season for the NE side of Tucson has been nearly a complete bust.
Same here in San Manuel. Storms always go around us. Grass is so dry it is already going dormant.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 AM

223 posts, read 435,194 times
Here, grass is growing like crazy. While driving up to town (Bullhead) I see the grass in one week is knee high. Along 95 and everywhere else. It's been way moist here this year here.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaindrive View Post
Here, grass is growing like crazy. While driving up to town (Bullhead) I see the grass in one week is knee high. Along 95 and everywhere else. It's been way moist here this year here.
I was in Kingman a few days back and it looked more like Bisbee with all the green.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM

246 posts, read 401,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Zymers View Post
Same here in San Manuel. Storms always go around us. Grass is so dry it is already going dormant.
Same here in Mesa. Had a good storm or two early in the season and very little since. This may have been the driest August I've ever seen.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
Same here in Mesa. Had a good storm or two early in the season and very little since. This may have been the driest August I've ever seen.
Much of the Phoenix area had a wetter than normal July and a drier than normal August. It definitely wasn't the driest August on record, but it did seem like the monsoon was on an extended vacation for much of the month. This seems to be somewhat of a trend lately: heavy storms in July followed by a rather hot, dry August ... and this is also reflected in the most recent climatic data. July is now the official wettest month of the year, and August is second wettest. It used to be that August was almost always wetter than July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona