Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 07:15 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,704 times

Advertisements

Active? The 2013 monsoon season for the NE side of Tucson has been nearly a complete bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 14,417 times
Big weather predicted for yesterday, Sunday, in Yuma. No rain-until 1am, very fast, very hard. I looked at Weather Underground. A line of 10 cells headed toward us from Mexico. And, a huge green mass that had been sitting down there all day was on the move. I really didn't want to see that-last year, we had $12,000 damage in one storm, lost electric for 1 1/2 days in another storm.

I looked a bit closer at the map, hoping it really wasn't going to happen. I noticed the arrows were going to be actually a bit west of us if they kept the current track. We were lucky, and they just missed us-hitting eastern California and Nevada. (One little boomer a couple of hours later.) This was a really huge group of storms that was still very slowly moving north late in the morning. I could still identify the 10 original cells 10 hours later. Sometimes you get lucky. Until now, this has been better than last year.

Stay safe, Boni

Old 08-26-2013, 03:34 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonipie View Post
Big weather predicted for yesterday, Sunday, in Yuma. No rain-until 1am, very fast, very hard. I looked at Weather Underground. A line of 10 cells headed toward us from Mexico. And, a huge green mass that had been sitting down there all day was on the move. I really didn't want to see that-last year, we had $12,000 damage in one storm, lost electric for 1 1/2 days in another storm.

I looked a bit closer at the map, hoping it really wasn't going to happen. I noticed the arrows were going to be actually a bit west of us if they kept the current track. We were lucky, and they just missed us-hitting eastern California and Nevada. (One little boomer a couple of hours later.) This was a really huge group of storms that was still very slowly moving north late in the morning. I could still identify the 10 original cells 10 hours later. Sometimes you get lucky. Until now, this has been better than last year.

Stay safe, Boni
Up here, in the Verde Valley, we've had rain every day but mostly through the nights. It's supposed to continue through Friday. Temps in the mid 80s to low 90s. Speaking of which, it's starting to rain again! I'm loving it and getting tired of people...not from here!...complaining about it. Haven't been using the cooler much because it's just about perfect and great sleeping weather too! This reminds me of the Monsoons we had here when I was a kid. Loved it then and love it now.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:53 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Bullhead and Mohave Valley: we got BLASTED with rain yesterday and it did some damage as well as muddying the roads; 95 and the Bullhead Parkway def got messed up.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,610,711 times
Had the windows to the car rolled down last night. Hardly ever doable in during a Phoenix summer. Pretty active monsoon this year. Loving it as well.

Old 08-27-2013, 03:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Up here, in the Verde Valley, we've had rain every day but mostly through the nights. It's supposed to continue through Friday. Temps in the mid 80s to low 90s. Speaking of which, it's starting to rain again! I'm loving it and getting tired of people...not from here!...complaining about it. Haven't been using the cooler much because it's just about perfect and great sleeping weather too! This reminds me of the Monsoons we had here when I was a kid. Loved it then and love it now.
Don't presume everyone from here likes it. This AZ native has never liked monsoon season. The humidity makes it hard to breathe, no point in toweling yourself off after a shower, weeds, bugs, sick livestock and increased feed waste. I can't wait for it to end.
The trees and grasses depend on slow soaking winter rains. Monsoon overall contributes little.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,913,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
Don't presume everyone from here likes it. This AZ native has never liked monsoon season. The humidity makes it hard to breathe, no point in toweling yourself off after a shower, weeds, bugs, sick livestock and increased feed waste. I can't wait for it to end.
The trees and grasses depend on slow soaking winter rains. Monsoon overall contributes little.
Not presuming anything. The people I hear complain about the rain are visitors from other states. The people who live here know we really need the rain. The humidity here is 'annoying' sometimes, but having lived in places where it can be suffocating, I can appreciate that it's "not so bad". It's not like it's high alllll the time and it changes even during the day.

We have had nothing but slow soaking rains this past week. No gully washers, really. It's just been very nice and I like it.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 PM

97 posts, read 160,374 times
This monsoon season is making me happy. Hands down the best time of the year.

I just moved down to Tucson, but so far it has rained or at least sprinkled slightly about every day for the past two week. I wouldn't say a lot though. Before moving down here when I was in Phoenix, it was just humidity in Glendale.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
It's not true that the "monsoon overall contributes little" - here in SE Arizona many of the grasses don't even sprout until the monsoons - they depend upon the monsoon rains for their growing season and their ability to produce seed. Same is true (even more so) down in Mexico. In Puerto Vallarta for example, May looks like winter - with virtually all the trees still completely bare until the monsoon arrives and they can leaf out. Monsoon is HUGELY important to the SW.

Ken

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM

223 posts, read 434,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Bullhead and Mohave Valley: we got BLASTED with rain yesterday and it did some damage as well as muddying the roads; 95 and the Bullhead Parkway def got messed up.
Yeah, heard about the parkway. It was bad.

Had some rain earlier tonight; power went out for a split second (just long enough to reset the clocks and computers), I have my candles at the ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona