Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 09:18 AM

108 posts, read 393,125 times

Advertisements

When you compare the Arizona Criminal Code to other states here in the USA it becomes odvious that Arizona Lawmakers have gone way too far. If Arizona Lawmakers continue at the current and rediculous rate of making every crime a felony then here is what will will eventually be looking at.

If you are out in public whether it be a store, park , mall or somewhere else and you flip another person off (Give another person the middle finger) you will be looking at anywhere between 5 to 10 years in state prison.

If you are out in public and you give some a crooked eye or mean face you will be looking at anywhere between 2 to 5 years in state prison.

This is no joke and here in Arizona what I have listed above will eventually be Felony criminal offenses in the State of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Care to cite your sources on this?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
This is no joke and here in Arizona what I have listed above will eventually be Felony criminal offenses in the State of Arizona.
I think this is a joke, but everyone's entitled to their own definition of humor. (mod cut-off topic)

Last edited by observer53; 12-01-2012 at 11:07 AM..

Old 12-01-2012, 11:08 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
If the OP cannot produce links indicating that these changes to the criminal code have even been proposed, this thread will be closed.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Quote:
... ... If you are out in public whether it be a store, park , mall or somewhere else and you flip another person off (Give another person the middle finger) you will be looking at anywhere between 5 to 10 years in state prison. ... ...

A bit of an exaggeration, but based in fact. Oregon not only has this law, but has enforced it in the past. It is a misdemeanor, not a felony. Although OSC "State v/s Henry (1987)" makes the law hard to enforce.

Otherwise Arizona has the same laws as any other state.

In Pennsylvania it is covered under 18 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 5503

In Alabama it is Section 13A-11-8

In Arkansas it is 5-71-208.

In Texas it is a $500 fine.

There are others.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,762 times
Well, I agree we spend far to much time on codifying laws. Personally, I had my 17 yo cited on a jet ski because he didn't have a fire extinguisher. And maybe the moderator didn't hear about the guy who was arrested for assault recently because he farted in the presence of a police officer. It is a fact that, in an effort to put as many people in jail - regardless of circumstances- the legislature has taken sentencing away from judges and established mandatory jail times. Do we really need a law about firing a gun in the air? When you crash into someone because you are texting? Is it right, if you get drunk and urinate in a parking lot you can be branded a sex offender for LIFE? I remember an article about a young woman a couple of years back, out (at night) on a country road when a police car wanted her to stop. Of course, there was no place to safely pull over, no lights out in country and a reported person impersonating a police officer. WHen she finally did pull over, he bashed the window in and dragged her out of the car. Turns out she was a nursing student (there's MY tie-in) and was charged with a felony that would, effectively, keep her from ever getting a license in Arizona. Really?!! This country has some very SERIOUS issues and our legislators devote their time to what???

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Most states have ridiculous laws on the books. Many of them remain from days of old.

In reference to the post above mine, Arizona is not the only state where urinating in public can land you on the sex offender list. A friend of mine was arrested for urinating in an alley in East Lansing, MI. He was released the following day after spending the night in the drunk tank and was told he was getting off lightly and they could have charged him for urinating but didn't want him to end of on the sex offender list.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:34 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
When you compare the Arizona Criminal Code to other states here in the USA it becomes odvious that Arizona Lawmakers have gone way too far. If Arizona Lawmakers continue at the current and rediculous rate of making every crime a felony then here is what will will eventually be looking at.

If you are out in public whether it be a store, park , mall or somewhere else and you flip another person off (Give another person the middle finger) you will be looking at anywhere between 5 to 10 years in state prison.

If you are out in public and you give some a crooked eye or mean face you will be looking at anywhere between 2 to 5 years in state prison.

They are getting kickbacks from the private prisons for every prisoner. What did you think SB1070 waas about?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They are getting kickbacks from the private prisons for every prisoner. What did you think SB1070 waas about?

Thank A.L.E.C and the koch brothers

Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnurse613 View Post
Well, I agree we spend far to much time on codifying laws. Personally, I had my 17 yo cited on a jet ski because he didn't have a fire extinguisher. And maybe the moderator didn't hear about the guy who was arrested for assault recently because he farted in the presence of a police officer. It is a fact that, in an effort to put as many people in jail - regardless of circumstances- the legislature has taken sentencing away from judges and established mandatory jail times. Do we really need a law about firing a gun in the air? When you crash into someone because you are texting?
First, "assault" under the criminal code is defined broadly. The officer in question took it too far, yes. There is NO statute on the books prohibiting that specific conduct, so let's not give the impression that the legislature did any such thing.

Do we need laws prohibiting firing guns in the air? Yes, we do. I'm sure the families of those killed by such random shots, and those injured, would agree. Texting while driving? That, too, like other irresponsible, highly dangerous behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: