Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 AM

861 posts, read 2,194,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
First, "assault" under the criminal code is defined broadly. The officer in question took it too far, yes. There is NO statute on the books prohibiting that specific conduct, so let's not give the impression that the legislature did any such thing.

Do we need laws prohibiting firing guns in the air? Yes, we do. I'm sure the families of those killed by such random shots, and those injured, would agree. Texting while driving? That, too, like other irresponsible, highly dangerous behavior.

Just read an interesting article on that....and yes the chance of injury or death is very real, especially when a bullet is fired at an angle and doesn't lose as much velocity. Numbskulls who do this sort of thing need to be horsewhipped.

And this is not coming from an antigun view...I am a shooter, and a strong Second amendment supporter, but shooting guns in the air as celebration is just stupid.

I have however been guilty of shooting up into a tree....while squirrel hunting, both with .22 and shotgun....I wonder if that could be construed by a overzealous officer as a violation of the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM

285 posts, read 906,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Just read an interesting article on that....and yes the chance of injury or death is very real, especially when a bullet is fired at an angle and doesn't lose as much velocity. Numbskulls who do this sort of thing need to be horsewhipped.

And this is not coming from an antigun view...I am a shooter, and a strong Second amendment supporter, but shooting guns in the air as celebration is just stupid.

I have however been guilty of shooting up into a tree....while squirrel hunting, both with .22 and shotgun....I wonder if that could be construed by a overzealous officer as a violation of the law.
Is it prohibited by local ordinance within town/city limits? Are you aware of what is downrange (occupied structures) of the tree? Are you aware of your surroundings before shooting into the tree?
An overzealous officer can cause you grief for spitting on the sidewalk. If you take every precaution before discharging your firearm into said tree, I would think you are on safe ground, legally speaking. As for shooting into the air in celebration, to this day, I still hear gunshots on New Years midnight in the neighborhood. The morons don't understand that gravity can and will bring that round back to earth. Where it lands is anyone's guess. Hopefully, no one will be standing/sitting at point zero when it does land.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,103,144 times
Historically, and from how I was shown by my father, when firearms are fired off in a celebratory manner, it is best to either fire them into the ground or better into a sure target like a close by tree (or block of wood) that is large enough to contain the projectile.

But unfortunately, all my firearms, ammunition and loading supplies were lost in the last flood here.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:22 PM

603 posts, read 947,552 times
Here's a little bit of background on "Shannon's Law"; the law making it a felony to shoot randomly into the air in Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%27s_law_(Arizona)
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...annon1231.html

Old 12-08-2012, 10:01 AM

861 posts, read 2,194,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskies View Post
Is it prohibited by local ordinance within town/city limits? Are you aware of what is downrange (occupied structures) of the tree? Are you aware of your surroundings before shooting into the tree?
An overzealous officer can cause you grief for spitting on the sidewalk. If you take every precaution before discharging your firearm into said tree, I would think you are on safe ground, legally speaking. As for shooting into the air in celebration, to this day, I still hear gunshots on New Years midnight in the neighborhood. The morons don't understand that gravity can and will bring that round back to earth. Where it lands is anyone's guess. Hopefully, no one will be standing/sitting at point zero when it does land.
Where I hunt (and it has been a while since I did) it was National forest land with no occupied structures for miles...and I am ALWAYS aware of my surroundings. Gun safety is a big issue with me.
However if I was hunting squirrels back east or in the South it might could cause a problem.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:09 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,650,378 times
Quote:
when firearms are fired off in a celebratory manner
That's what blanks are for...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM

603 posts, read 947,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That's what blanks are for...
They've legalized fireworks.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,153,394 times
The problem is [from my viewpoint] making a law prohibiting fireing a weapon in the air is a lesson in futility.....people stupid enough to DO THAT, are too stupid to obey the law.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,599,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
When you compare the Arizona Criminal Code to other states here in the USA it becomes odvious that Arizona Lawmakers have gone way too far. If Arizona Lawmakers continue at the current and rediculous rate of making every crime a felony then here is what will will eventually be looking at.

If you are out in public whether it be a store, park , mall or somewhere else and you flip another person off (Give another person the middle finger) you will be looking at anywhere between 5 to 10 years in state prison.

If you are out in public and you give some a crooked eye or mean face you will be looking at anywhere between 2 to 5 years in state prison.

This is no joke and here in Arizona what I have listed above will eventually be Felony criminal offenses in the State of Arizona.
I was just having this discussion this past weekend when I went out to AZ. My brother has some major drug issues (I was out to get him to rehab so at least he wants something better. I can only pray he does. I would rather not him to bury him anytime soon ). He stole so much stuff from our parents out there (dope money) and my mom was considering pressing charges to teach him a lesson. I told her he would receive a felony so she decided against it. I think criminals should be punished however I think felonies need to be reserved for serious crimes. A felony will ruin someones life! It makes it almost impossible for someone to get a job or rent a place to live. This is asinine AZ! All you are doing by giving felonies for almost everything is making it impossible for the person who committed the crime to be able to live life the right way after, unless they are homeless and jobless. Felonies are for serious crimes!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 PM

18 posts, read 56,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They are getting kickbacks from the private prisons for every prisoner. What did you think SB1070 waas about?
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: