Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:43 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
Ritchie is correct. You would not be a happy camper in the Sedona area. Putting aside all the animals that would be trooping through your property, scorpions, tarantulas, rattlesnakes, and lizards by the gazillions are underfoot in most neighborhoods. No one has mentioned that the scorpions are little critters compared to the usual vision. Someone tell me if they are bigger in other parts of the state if so.
I have never knowingly had a scorprion in my house (or any of the places I've lived) in Sedona. I do hear they're worse in VOC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM

12 posts, read 17,209 times
Voc?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM

12 posts, read 17,209 times
What about the Glendale, or Peoria areas? Are they pretty nice/safe?? Does anyone know if this is a hot spot for scorpions?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2010, 07:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoniansonthemove View Post
Voc?
Sorry, Village of Oak Creek, a part of Sedona.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 PM

382 posts, read 1,355,660 times
We moved to Surprise back in March. We've found 2 scorpions in our garage (yes they are very small, but the smaller they are the worse they are), but we also have a cricket problem we're trying to get a handle on. It's pretty ridiculous how many crickets there are around here. Just when I think I have it under control, there they go again! lol Or the rain washes all the pesticide away.

So we're removing all the boxes and putting everything into plastic bins. That's how we found the second one yesterday. My husband had found it's shed skin thinking it was a dead one, I enlightened him to the truth. Later that night we found one on the garage wall. Knocked it down and smooshed it. Our neighbors actually have them in their house. Thankfully we don't.

There's a spray out there that kills them on contact, but it's only on contact. I'm going to get that (for my husbands comfort) and some double sided tape and put it along the walls. Hopefully that will get any that we have missed so far.

The only spiders you have to worry about are black widows. They really aren't a problem unless you have kids or pokey pets, since it takes a lot for them to bite. You can see their webs by how messy they are. We had an infestation from a neighbor who wouldn't spray them at all. Since we've moved I've been vigilant about keeping the backyard and around the house widow free. I wasn't for a week and an entire corner of the back yard, from top to bottom, was widow web. Went out at night and killed it.

I'm not worried about pesticides since my kids aren't out there licking the walls right after I'm spraying, and I rarely spray on the floor/ground.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:41 PM

7 posts, read 16,049 times
I moved to AZ about 2 months ago. Found a very nice house a block from 101 on the Mesa Tempe border in the Carriage Lane plan. The only bug problem we had was crickets in the lawn. Had it sprayed couple times and no more crickets. Seems like a nice safe area. I'm a retired police sgt. and would notice issues. I check the yard at night with a black light now and again. Great area with nice new stores 2 min from 101.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 PM

131 posts, read 439,705 times
You mean you don't have these cute little rascals in your neighborhood WAY UP THERE in Sedona adventuregurl? Three Little PIggies in the yard and a Striking Beauty on the trail above the house. Had a young elk staring in the window last week but I couldn't get the camera out fast enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Housing, Bugs and more-threelittlepigs.jpg   Housing, Bugs and more-strikingbeauty.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona