Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:01 PM

68 posts, read 148,784 times

Advertisements

Tell me about the long dark winter nights. How many months and how much daylight? Thanks. From what I have read this town seems to be what I'm looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
There's a chart here that'll help: PALMER IAS, Alaska, USA: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

So at our darkest time, say mid December to mid January you get about four hours of daylight, more or less. By mid March you are up to 12 hours of daylight.

Some people say it really affects them... I've always been to busy to notice.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,082 times
The one big downside of Palmer is the wind, which blasts out of the mountains at 80mph at zero or 10 above at least once most winters (occasionally worse, and just a little more moderate several times a winter).

Otherwise, if you can live and work in Palmer, that's one of the most balanced lifestyles available in Alaska.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Well at least there is some daylight. Is it true that in some parts of the state it stays dark for weeks...even longer? That would get depressing. Also that is some serious wind. Basically category 1 hurricane. I had heard of that. Hopefully doesnt happen too often. Most create crazy snow drifts. Seems like a beautiful area. Guess the wind isnt enough to drive people out. Any ski areas nearby? What about rod and gun clubs/shooting ranges. Ive heard you cannot enter Canada with handguns. What would I do ship them??

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM

You can see sunrise/sunset info for Barrow here: Barrow, AK, Alaska, USA: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data
So, yes, they go a couple of months each year in the winter where the sun does not come above the horizon.

Gun ranges:
Matanuska Valley Sportsmen's Range - Mile 38.5 Glenn Hwy, Alaska
Birchwood Public Shooting Range
Grouse Ridge, LLC [Home Page]

Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
Palmer lies right next to the Chugach range, which has a few peaks in the 4000ft range to the east. What this means is that there are places near Palmer that don't see actual sunlight during the winter. There will be daylight but not direct sunshine.

When house hunting, you'll want to be aware of your surroundings. Just south of Palmer is the Butte. Houses on the west side of the Old Glenn highway are usually in good neighborhoods but it can get sketchy to the east. Dope growing meth cooking craigslist fence type of sketchy so google map anything that sounds appealing and see where it actually is.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM

As always grateful for your helpful information. Areas to watcb out for especially important since first rental will be over tbe phone. Expense too come up in advance is too great. Any thoughts on Wasilla High School vs Colony in Palmer? Also are there any technical vocational schools in the area?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 AM

Colony is probably considered the best of those three schools, followed by Palmer then Wasilla. But, above all of those is the new Career Tech school. Mat-Su Career & Tech High / Overview
I've know a couple of kids who have gone there and they have a solid program.
Are you looking to live in Palmer, Wasilla or somewhere in between?

Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Two ski areas. The closest to Palmer is Arctic Valley, which is a volunteer-run ski area just north of Anchorage:

Arctic Valley - Arctic Valley

Then there is Alyeska in Girdwood just south of Anchorage:

Alaska Vacations, Restaurants & Accommodation | Alyeska Resort

There is fun groomed nordic skiing up at Hatcher Pass right near Palmer:
Matanuska-Susitna Borough Project: Hatcher Pass

Old 02-01-2013, 11:38 AM

That career tech school looks very interesting. My son would be a freshman if and when this comes together. I didn't even realize Palmer had 2 High Schools. Doesn't seem like a large enough town. I have been focusing on Palmer. That is based solely on information in the forums. I have only seen picture of it. After reading these forums extensively, the overall consensus seems that Palmer is one of the more highly recommended of the small towns near Anchorage. Most of the reasons given seem to go along with my personal opinions. Always tough to pull something like this without actually visiting first so a bit of a gamble. At least with a rental you are not locked in forever. I find it interesting that Sarah Palin does not seem to be well respected generally. What's up with that? Was she a bad Governor? Still trying to decide best approach to move. Tempting to just sell everything I own and start fresh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage