Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 AM

68 posts, read 148,751 times

Advertisements

Forgot, one of the things I've told my son to make this more attractive is lots of snow, which we do not usually get on Cape Cod. Snowboarding, skiing. Also, snow machines. Do you have an organized trail system in that area for snow machines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunder View Post
I didn't even realize Palmer had 2 High Schools.
Colony High's address is Palmer, but is located in between Palmer & Wasilla. There's also Valley Pathways located in Palmer, but it's an alternative school for kids that aren't making it in the traditional school settings. Burchell High is the alternative school in Wasilla. And then there's also the charter schools and private schools. And they are building a new high school down Knik-Goosebay Road in a few years.
For Career Tech, the student has to apply and go through an interview process to get in.

Quote:
I find it interesting that Sarah Palin does not seem to be well respected generally. What's up with that? Was she a bad Governor?
Others will have their own opinion... but here's my two cents worth: She was a great mayor, an okay governor and would have been a poor vice president or president. She may have done well in congress...
I personally know her & her family and like them on a personal level. I think as governor she tried to be all things to all people and make everyone happy. I think she had some poor advisers around her and got too caught up in the drama that comes with politics. Her ACES for oil taxes and AGIA for the gas pipeline are disasters. With time and mentoring she may have become a better leader, but I think her moment has passed for now.

Back to your moving questions... Techinally Wasilla & Palmer are both small towns population wise. But they are surrounded by lots of residential areas outside of city limits. The total population for the core area is about 70,000. Palmer was a planned community from the beginning as part of the New Deal Matanuska Colony project, so it has a nice downtown area. Wasilla grew randomly along the Parks Highway and so it has a different feel.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 PM

A question for you sourdoughs. Any guess on what percentage of people like me come up there to fulfill their life long dream, only to say WTF have i done? and run screaming back to the lower 48? LOL!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
A question for you sourdoughs. Any guess on what percentage of people like me come up there to fulfill their life long dream, only to say WTF have i done? and run screaming back to the lower 48? LOL!

Sourdough: Sour on the country and too short on Dough to leave. Plan ahead.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
I really like Palmer, the old barns, the settlement & farming history, the views. The town has a cute little town center, with the train station & shops. I would choose Palmer over Wasilla, which to me is more of a strip mall, although the outlying wooded/lake areas are beautiful. Lots of worldclass hiking around Palmer. To me, Palmer has the small town community feel, but with the stores of Wasilla nearby.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 AM

Sounds like im on the right track with Palmer. Not a fan of strip mall towns. I really like the feeling of community and a town center. One of the things I love in new england is the village grren town center with the white steepled church..library..town hall etc. Many people in the forums seem dissatisfied with the food up there. Any input on that? I tend to prefer mop and pop family operations over the chains like chilis applebees and the like. Do restaurants serve wild game up there? Weve moved a few times. One of the first priorities is finding good chinese and a decent pizza joint.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Any RE brokers out there? My wife currently works for ERA. She'll be looking to hang her license somewhere. A bit of a disadvantage selling in unfamiliar territory as opposed to where she grew up.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Marty Van Diest is a Realtor who frequents this board.

Humdingers is a great new pizza place in Palmer that has been a big hit: https://www.facebook.com/humdingerspizza

I'm not sure about Chinese in Palmer, but Wasilla has a few places.

You won't find wild game in restaurants. You will find reindeer sausage from domestic animals and commercially caught halibut & salmon.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Plus, you're so close to Anchorage where there are a lot of food choices. Some great brewpubs. I like Chinatown on Government hill.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Mmmmmmm! Halibut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage