Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:54 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,717 times

Advertisements

The main difference is that the boss still expects you to show up for work after the blizzard, but you can be a little late if you must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 16,455 times
Palmer is great. I lived out there for two years and I would have stayed out there, but I work in Anchorage and the morning drive/traffic was killing me, so I moved to Eagle River. I don't know if there is any town in Alaska on the road system that has quite the small town charm as Palmer.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwrestle View Post
Palmer is great. I lived out there for two years and I would have stayed out there, but I work in Anchorage and the morning drive/traffic was killing me, so I moved to Eagle River. I don't know if there is any town in Alaska on the road system that has quite the small town charm as Palmer.

I would say Talkeetna but that is way too far for commuting. Most towns on the highway system are more wide spots in the road than towns. Palmer was built by colonists from the midwest during the depression and has that small midwest town feel.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,039,011 times
Hi, just noticed this thread. I'm a Realtor in Palmer. I think we are the only ones with an office actually in Palmer although there are quite a few other Realtors that live here.

It sounds like you are looking for a rental and I would say that craigslist is the best place to find those. I don't do property management myself but almost all the managers put their rentals on craigslist. The private owners do so as well.

I like Palmer, it has a real community feel. I have lived in the area for a long time, (47 years), and have to say that Palmer is my favorite town in the Mat-Su area. That doesn't mean that it's perfect however.

You will find that it is harder to find housing in the Palmer area. There just isn't as much housing available here compared to the Wasilla area.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:11 PM

68 posts, read 148,864 times
Marty,
Yes, definitely a rental. What company do you work for? As I mentioned, my wife is a realtor. Currently she works for ERA. She would like to hang her license somewhere. Any room where you are?
Thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 PM

Another 6 inches of snow last night on top of the foot we got. The windi is howling causing huge drifts and white out conditions. Everyone complaining. Im looking at it as good training for AK !

Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Could anyone fill me in on the quality or lack therof regarding cell phone service? What about cable..wifi? Thanks

Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
You'll get good cellphone coverage in most of the populated part of the Valley... You might find a few dead spots.
GCI & MTA are your two sources for cable, land line and internet. Both are expensive and the service is just okay.
GCI
https://www.mta-telco.com/

I use AT&T for cellphone.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:07 PM

58 posts, read 128,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saunder View Post
Could anyone fill me in on the quality or lack therof regarding cell phone service? What about cable..wifi? Thanks
Verizon is not officially here, but I've been on my old plan for nearly 2 years with no problem. GCI cable/Internet is okay, but there are usage caps and no HBOGo.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Oh so Verizon works up there? It would be great if I didn't have to change. Ive been with them since they were bell atlantic back in the early 90`s. Our verizon bill is 245 per month but we have 4 cell phones...3 are smart phones and also an IPAD. Cable is bundled. Cable internet wifi and land line phone is 160 per month how do these prices compare? Might as well start figuring my budget now. How is WIFI connectivity in the valley?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage