Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:24 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,866,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
My doctor has told me to drink a glass of red wine a day for my health, cholesterol. sigh. But, I don't drink and am tired of buying wine that the store recommends to me that is sweet and good.

Do any of you know of a good red wine that tastes sweet? I'm at my wits end.
Torry Ridge, a NY State Finger Lakes Winery (Seneca Lake) has a very sweet red that is an easy Red to drink if you don't usually like RED WINE. Blue Saphire is the name of the wine... If you are not familiar with NYS/Finger Lakes Wines they might take some getting used to... but I love this one personally...here is the website:

Blue Sapphire Award Winning Red Table Wine | Torrey Ridge Winery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 03:12 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
I'm not usually a fan of red wine -- not sweet enough for me and gave me bad headaches -- but then I discovered this winery in the city where my son attends university. WOW, awesome red wines and no headache for me!

Llano Estacado Winery

The winery is named Llano Estacado (pronounced YAWNO ESTAU CAUDO) in Lubbock, Texas. I've tried their signature white, signature red, blush, and chenin blanc -- all are sweet and yummy with incredible flavor. I believe you can order their wine online and have it shipped.

Also, check out their wine-containing products! OMG, they sell a fudge sauce infused with cabernet sauvignon that is to die for on ice cream!!!! I haven't tried their BBQ sauces but friends have and told me they're incredible!

(LOL, I don't work for this company or anything -- just a big fan and satisfied customer!)

Old 07-04-2008, 04:28 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,618 times
I just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to offer suggestions and explain how red wine should be stored and served. I never knew any of these things and I am guilty of having thrown out what was probably perfectly good wine, because I didn't know. Thank you all for your helpful answers and input.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
Dennis Vineyards Winery is the best sweet red wine.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:52 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
I didn't read all of the posts but if you're wanting to have a treat and get your sweet red wine, how about Sangria? You add fruit and a sweetener like honey to red wine... and it's yummy.

This gives you the basic recipe and information but I'm sure that someone here has a more precise recipe.

SangrÃ*a - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW - I agree about Chocolate and Red Wine - especially dark chocolate. It's a perfect combination. I don't know how good that will be for your cholesterol though!

Edited to add this link for a single serving Sangria!

Hey, I found this recipe for a single serving Sangria that sounds good and easy. I may try it tonight, myself!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/dr...SANGRIA-242664

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-07-2008 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: add a recipe for single serving!

Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
BTW - I agree about Chocolate and Red Wine - especially dark chocolate. It's a perfect combination. I don't know how good that will be for your cholesterol though!

It'll be fine. Although there's certainly fat in chocolate there's no cholesterol in any plant product so feel free to break out the Cab and the Cacao

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
I drink the wine in a box (Vella) . You don't have to worry about it going bad because no air gets to it. Really, the reason I buy it is because we don't have glass recycling here, but we can recycle cardboard.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:23 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It'll be fine. Although there's certainly fat in chocolate there's no cholesterol in any plant product so feel free to break out the Cab and the Cacao
The OP's doctor perscribed red wine for their cholesterol....so I was just a little worried about their cholesterol but for me, I KNOW it makes me feel better!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:55 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Im a sinner and I put ice in any red wine. I dont care for the room temp flavor. I do however use filtered water. Do not use tap water. I think when its iced it gives it a sweeter,lighter, juicier flavor. It mutes out the heavy undertones that can feel bitter to the tounge.

Different wines have different primes. I just like to buy whats on sale if I have to buy it. Otherwise a nice little old italian man always gives my boy some that he made himself. Part of enjoying wine is the adventure and finding your bottle. Also upseting the snobs by dropping some cubes in it. LOL

I really only can drink the homemade wine at room temp. The maker I know won awards for his wine. I would tell his secrets..But...

One thing I can tell you though is american wines have sulfites in them. It makes them bitter. Look for a 3 year old merlot california grapes if going american. I think most of those seem rather juicy without the ice.

Go to a wine tasting party though. They are so much fun.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,480,865 times
Riunite Lambrusco is rather sweet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages