Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:22 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
<snip>
Do you get a better wine by paying a higher price? I mean, cheap wine = cheap price? Or, another way, Do by paying a bit more, do you get a better quality of wine?
IHMO, this is a tricky one, because in the wine world, one quickly gets into what I call the "wine snobbery syndrome." I know what I'm talkin' about 'cause I used to be one!

Now I go the middle way: I stay with tried & trusted wineries, and choose to Not spend top dollar. After a point, there isn't much difference, IMHO. Especially, Aiangel, as you are taking it medicinally. That's why I asked if you have Trader Joe's where you are, because they do have moderately priced wine which is really good. That Charles Shaw Merlot is actually low priced, but is a very respectable California wine for its price.(Esp. if you're going to do the wine/chocolate connection )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 01:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,080 times
no, unfortunately we do not have a trader joe's, just local owned stores. sigh.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:35 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Well, then. Look for med. priced red wines from California, specifically from Sonoma County, or from Napa. The Sonoma County wines may be slightly less, but the quality is As good, or better. Again, all this is IMHO.

But I know a fair amount about the Sonoma County wines. Where do you live, anyway? DM the ans. if you want. The wines I'm mentioning here can be found at Safeway, Fred Meyer (possibly Kroger where you are...)

Old 10-15-2007, 05:37 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I'm wondering if instead of sweet you might not be happy with something less tannic and more fruity than what you've had. Maybe try a nice, young Beaujoulais.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM

I am embarrassed to say that I don't know enough about wine to even know! I just know I do not like the bitter taste, but have learned on here that I have not allowed it to breathe before drinking. sigh.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I am embarrassed to say that I don't know enough about wine to even know! I just know I do not like the bitter taste, but have learned on here that I have not allowed it to breathe before drinking. sigh.

No need to be embarassed, it just means there's lots for you to discover if you choose. With reds, the tannin can give the wine an astringent quality that'll make you pucker (and not in a good way).

I was going to suggest you might enjoy a good cheese with a red until I remembered you're doing this for cholesterol control If there's a good wine shop in your area maybe someone can suggest something made to drink young rather than aged, that should cut down on the tannin and maybe you'll enjoy it more.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM

726 posts, read 1,229,055 times
If you don't drink, while begin?
Really, if it's for health then drink green tea and forget the whine.
Otherwise, take off the blond wig and learn about wine.
Foodmuse

Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
If you don't drink, while begin?
Really, if it's for health then drink green tea and forget the whine.
Otherwise, take off the blond wig and learn about wine.
Foodmuse
That's what we're trying to do, there, Foodmuse! Got anything to contribute? If you'd like, you can borrow this blond wig. I've got a spare.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Thank you everyone who has so kindly posted such helpful suggestions. I will take these to heart when I go find something suitable to my taste.

YOu guys are wonderful to share your knowledge and I most certainly appreciate it ever so much.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,034 times
Red wine needs to breathe so let it sit in the glass a while before drinking. Also try drinking it in a crystal glass only. Crystal has a way of making even a bad bottle of wine taste good. Try it with water to see what I mean. Pour water in a glass and drink it, then pour it in a crystal glass and you will notice the difference in taste.

My husband's in the wine business so I asked him just before he fell asleep, he says try a German wine- they seem sweeter. Not sure where you're located, but maybe someone can recommend one for you. Go to an actual wine shop, not a grocery store, where someone will know there stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages