Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,997,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelizk View Post
There's no excuse for being chinsy on ensuring the safety of a community. That is one of govt's primary functions. Look at Berncohome's post where the ABQ's voters passed bonds to fund UNM to the gills...which is good, I'm all for supporting public education, but if there aren't enuff police out patrolling the area??? I'm sure working for planning is rough.

However, if we can't blame the police & we can't blame our officials. How is one's safety assured in this community? Where's the accountability?
I'm blamming it on the city council big time..They are cutting funding on everything most of the time.. and most of the time its the stuff Albuquerque needs the most. Albuquerque is booming and to them Albuquerque is still a small city, fact is.. its not. They see the crime problem.. sadly like mentioned nothing will be done until we get a steady council that can work together as well with the mayor.

Mayor Chavez is serously doing the best he can, Its funny when people bash him.. but I work in the same building with him. People think its the easiest job governing a city of half a million.. Its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 AM

200 posts, read 611,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I'm blamming it on the city council big time..They are cutting funding on everything most of the time.. and most of the time its the stuff Albuquerque needs the most. Albuquerque is booming and to them Albuquerque is still a small city, fact is.. its not. They see the crime problem.. sadly like mentioned nothing will be done until we get a steady council that can work together as well with the mayor.

Mayor Chavez is serously doing the best he can, Its funny when people bash him.. but I work in the same building with him. People think its the easiest job governing a city of half a million.. Its not.
Honestly, I'm not blaming Mayor Chavez specifically or anyone in particular. I haven't been living here long enuff to know much about the man. I know he's much more well regarded on the EP Forum's site than EP's current mayor. I'm sure he is doing the best he can. The city is GREAT! ABQ, growing up in EP, was always the go-to-place in terms of things to do, concerts, & culture.

But for years, up until this last week, I've been indundated w/a barrage of horror stories from people that have been victimized in ABQ, either violently or by petty crime. I've lived in D.C., CA, Norfolk, VA, & Indonesia.

Only twice in my life have I encountered crime. Once having my purse stolen in Las Cruces when studying at NMSU, then 3 mos. later a girl I met went missing & was found dead 3 mos. after that. Then witnessing my sister's cell phone lifted (regardless of how trusting & naive she was). I'd say w/NM there is a pattern. That's all. Either the laws need to get tougher, we're lacking enuff police, or could be a subcultural phenomena w/the population of folks the state & cities attract.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:57 PM

173 posts, read 315,614 times
I've experienced people trying this on me (they have not succeeded). One time it was some guy saying he needed the phone for whatever reason. The next time was two tough looking guys trying to play the greed card by saying they thought they had a winning lottery ticket, and needed to call it in. Both were near the UNM area.

The second time, I didn't even disclose that I had a cellphone (didn't want to get beaten up for it), and told them where to find the nearest payphone.

ABQ is a far more high-crime city than I want to deal with. I remember back in Ruidoso, we didn't even need to lock our car or house. (though this may have been just naivete) In just 6 months in Albuquerque, I've seen the next door neighbor's house broken into, my $500 bicycle stolen, my car window shot out, my motorcycle slammed at a yield sign, and had multiple people try to solicit drugs from me when walking down the street, and someone trying to sell me a (almost defintely stolen) soundsystem out of the back of their car.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:02 AM

299 posts, read 1,154,517 times
gsilver, are you sure... POSITIVE you are not living in Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines. LOL

jOE
Angeles City
Philippines

Old 06-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
I've experienced people trying this on me (they have not succeeded). One time it was some guy saying he needed the phone for whatever reason. The next time was two tough looking guys trying to play the greed card by saying they thought they had a winning lottery ticket, and needed to call it in. Both were near the UNM area.

The second time, I didn't even disclose that I had a cellphone (didn't want to get beaten up for it), and told them where to find the nearest payphone.

ABQ is a far more high-crime city than I want to deal with. I remember back in Ruidoso, we didn't even need to lock our car or house. (though this may have been just naivete) In just 6 months in Albuquerque, I've seen the next door neighbor's house broken into, my $500 bicycle stolen, my car window shot out, my motorcycle slammed at a yield sign, and had multiple people try to solicit drugs from me when walking down the street, and someone trying to sell me a (almost defintely stolen) soundsystem out of the back of their car.
Need I say more...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:51 PM

184 posts, read 806,238 times
I don't know about you guys....

But I have to say that in the last few weeks I have seen more and more daily reported shootings and crime news story on front page of the KOB website, then in the last 6 months -- and frankly, it's really starting to get to me.. With tonite's shootings at the Denny's near Coors/40 kicking off my rant...

Maybe it's the "it's summer and the kids are bored" syndrome... or there's just not that much other ABQ news worthy of front page coverage...

But heck... It's starting to get real depressing to click on the KOB website any more.. (Granted the inherent problem probably isn't that KOB is sensationalizing, but more than not.. that there's just more gosh darn crimes being committed these dayzs....)

Just saying......

Crawling back to my corner now.....

Nuff said.. Skysz --

Old 06-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyszlimit View Post
I don't know about you guys....

But I have to say that in the last few weeks I have seen more and more daily reported shootings and crime news story on front page of the KOB website, then in the last 6 months -- and frankly, it's really starting to get to me.. With tonite's shootings at the Denny's near Coors/40 kicking off my rant...

Maybe it's the "it's summer and the kids are bored" syndrome... or there's just not that much other ABQ news worthy of front page coverage...

But heck... It's starting to get real depressing to click on the KOB website any more.. (Granted the inherent problem probably isn't that KOB is sensationalizing, but more than not.. that there's just more gosh darn crimes being committed these dayzs....)

Just saying......

Crawling back to my corner now.....

Nuff said.. Skysz --
yes the beat goes on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque