Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM

265 posts, read 808,639 times

Advertisements

We were at the Sunport early Tuesday morning and noticed all the cell phone waiting areas on the terminal approach road were blocked off with orange traffic pylons.

Does anybody know what's up with that? Or if they are to be permanently closed off, or was it temporary?

I'm flying back in Friday night and it'd be nice to know in advance, if anyone has a clue.

Those pull-offs sure were handy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 PM

47 posts, read 135,525 times
Are you talking about the cell phone waiting area parking lot east of the terminal or the little pulloffs on the left hand side of the road before you get to the terminal? It is illegal to wait in the pulloffs and you must go to the lot

out

Dan

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
The two real cell phone waiting areas were working two days ago, (June 24, 2009)

Those little pull off areas which people used and the right side of the road were never legal cell phone waiting areas...

Rich

Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM

265 posts, read 808,639 times
Oooh! Yeah, I meant the little pull-offs on the left side of the approach road. I thought those were the designated areas, wasn't aware of the "real" area, apparently past the terminal? Guess that's why they put in the pylons, which look pretty permanent.

I'll instruct DH accordingly.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
I always thought those were perfectly good areas to pull off,
but they were never legal.

If I was going to do that, I would pull off at the exit and sit in the parking
lot of one of the dozens of hotels there. It's legal and just as convenient.

Personally, I just park in the garage, bring magazines,
and wait inside the terminal.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:06 AM

141 posts, read 466,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
The two real cell phone waiting areas were working two days ago, (June 24, 2009)

Those little pull off areas which people used and the right side of the road were never legal cell phone waiting areas...

Rich
I'm with Poncho on this one. I had to pick up my bf from the airport last week and a few weeks before that and noticed the same thing -- that those "cell phone waiting areas" on the side as you approach the airport were all blocked off.

I was a little nervous picking him up because I didn't know where I was going in order to wait for him!!! There were many signs indicating there was still a waiting area but I just couldn't figure out where!

IMO, the signs are very confusing unless you drive slow and make sure you are in the right lane. You actually pass through the airport where arriving flight passengers wait to be picked up and you are brought to the back of the airport in a small parking lot to wait.

To get back to the arriving flights area you must go out of the parking to left (the way you came) and it will take you back around to the front and you enter the same way you first approached the airport. It's really silly I think because it takes so long to get there! I think those side lanes that used to be there weren't "legal". Booooo!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Drive through the airport as if you want to pick someone up at arrivals,lower deck, go through the arrivals, stay in the right lane, as the road curves to the left take a right at the one lane exit, the big green sign that divides the "Y" in the road says "cell phone waiting area", go down to the next street, turn right, go down that street there is a big chain link fence area and it's marked "Cell Phone Waiting Area".

When you get a call, come out the same way, except you are going to have to loop around the main road, then come back to arrivals.

Darn, I think that is what TexasRandi said, maybe...

Rich

Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
It's really silly I think because it takes so long to get there!
Six minutes when I timed it last week...

There is an other area on the South West end of the airport, out by Eclipse aviation, you have to drive further. It also is marked with little signs.

Rich

Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
Key word - "LITTLE" signs. They need to make them larger - they're really hard to spot in enough time to change lanes at a busy time.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM

141 posts, read 466,897 times
I just thought that the most confusing thing about the whole "cell phone waiting area" is I was expecting there to be a road off to the side to wait like there used to be.

Since I hadn't been to the airport in a while I figured maybe I just remembered those areas in the wrong spot so I kept searching for them not expecting to be taken to a parking lot all the way in the back!!

Also, having to drive through the "arrivals" area seemed to take forever!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque