Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Favorite Albuquerque Nickname? (multiple choice allowed)
Burque 13 28.89%
ABQ 2 4.44%
Q or "The Q" 18 40.00%
Duke City 3 6.67%
The Big Al 13 28.89%
The 505 4 8.89%
Albuturkey 17 37.78%
Albuquirky 6 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,084 times

Advertisements

I missed the multiple choice option too.

I like ABQ and the Duke City. Duke City makes me think of the Dukes, who were the team when I moved away before. I came back and it was the Isotopes and they had updated the stadium and it made me a little sad. Not sure why, I think I went to 2 games in 5 years. I guess I was looking forward to finding that grassy area behind the stadium where you could park and have a picnic with the kids and watch the game.

BTW I voted for Q. I was torn between that and Burqe (which sounds a little hipster and pretentious to me for some reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,036,942 times
lisdol:

I agree with you on everything! I like ABQ and Duke City.

I don't like the "Q" and voted for it in the poll.

And I have not been to an Isotopes game -- it's on the list for this summer, though.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM

8 posts, read 42,977 times
The Worst:

Big Burque

Burk-town

The Burk

The BurkBurk

Big BurkBURK!!!

The Best:

Honestly I like just saying Albuquerque the best, it is a cool looking and sounding name, though it is not a nickname, but it is also the least offensive to people. I just wouldn't use a nickname for Albuquerque except in jest.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,914,084 times
I have to say I only SAY Albuquerque. I write ABQ. And I never use Duke City, but it does not bug me.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:00 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,868 times
Burque: I still theorize this originally derives from Pittsburgh's use of the 'burgh.

ABQ: Concur on EP's summary. Essentially an airport code and good for ease of use, although not terribly creative.

Q or "The Q": I have no problem with it, but understand it's not received well by many.

Duke City: I think this is the most widely used and accepted one. Used extensively by the media.

The Big Al: Makes my beloved city sound like an overweight, playground bully.

The 505: Per EP, it brings Calif. to mind, with their endless use of "the" before highways, eg. "The 5."

Albuturkey: Don't like it. Sounds like a put-down.

Albuquirky: It has a slightly endearing sound to it, but it's not used often enough to really catch.

p.s. Great thread Zoidberg.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:20 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,996,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I also don't ike the Duke City. Maybe I'd take the Q over duke.
Hell No!
DUKE CITY LIVES!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:46 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,096,528 times
I didn't know we could pick more than one like bradly & Tim Rankin.
Then, I saw Towanda's post - waaaaay - down after I posted this.

Now I think everyone who voted once, but *would* have voted more than once, should say so - so that you can ALL be as annoying as I am.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Burque: I still theorize this originally derives from Pittsburgh's use of the 'burgh.
Don't know when Pittsburgh started using "burgh but "Burque has been used for generations! It's probably the oldest nickname for AlbuRquerque. The best thing about 'Burque is it honors the CORRECT spelling of the city's name.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

BTW I voted for Q. I was torn between that and Burqe (which sounds a little hipster and pretentious to me for some reason).
Thanks for calling every New Mexican who has family going back more than 200 years hipsters. This includes me, my dad, my uncles, just about anyone in NM who calls their grandfather "Tata" and grows their own red and green says "vamos a 'Burque". Maybe (I dunno) the hipsters have co-opted this but I kinda doubt it. Most hipsters I know are too busy trying to keep their ass showing at the top of their skinny jeans as they ride their single speed bicycle to the coffee shop. Or maybe they are a different set.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:14 AM

657 posts, read 1,339,147 times
Burque rings of low riding old Hondas with plastic trunk fins and bling wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque