Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 42,933 times

Advertisements

I have noticed in Albuquerque there are not many places to hang out, especially for young people, but just in general as well.

So this thread can be for any hangout - a store, a restaurant, alone or with friends, places you can stay in for a while and get some work done or talk to and hang out with friends without feeling like you have to leave immediately once a transaction is finished - for instance, a drycleaners would be the opposite of a hangout.

I like the Borders near Wyoming and Academy, books to look through plus a little cafe to buy coffee in.

Dion's pizza's seem to be teen hangouts, but I am no longer a teen and don't particularly enjoy the teenybopper feel, that's just me though, I still love their pizza, I just don't hang out there much, but it's a popular one.

Winning's Coffee Co. is a nice coffee place with live music, quite a drive for me but I still like going there when I'm in the area.

So what are your favorite hangouts?

Last edited by shinysign; 02-13-2009 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
Dions for some reason is popular with the teens, I dont have a favorite hangout, I guess home would be my hangout.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinysign View Post
I have noticed in Albuquerque there are not many places to hang out, especially for young people, but just in general as well.
This is a common myth cited by many in several big-but-not-goliath cities (and their respective CD Forums) as a reason for discontentment of sorts with their town.

Truly though, ABQ has just as many places to "hang out" as any other town. Sure, LA has, what, 11-million plus, however, the places to "hang out" are the same as ABQ or any other town - bars, restaurants, malls, bookstores, coffee shops, parks, movie theaters, college campi, etc., etc., etc.

Name me a place of a "hangout" genre that LA has that ABQ doesn't. It doesn't exist. Sure, LA may have 3-kajillion bars to hang out in to ABQ's 5000, but then again, 11-million + are competing for those bar stools vs. the 500K in ABQ.

As for a favorite hangout in ABQ, what about the Frontier? Great food, cheap. Open all hours. Hugely diverse crowd. They won't boot you (as long as you pay for something) for quite a long time. Tons and tons of room, seating, and the like.

The Frontier rules.

I am also a fan of that Border's on Wyoming (although every town has a Border's - but they are great "hangouts"). Horse N' Angel is a great hangout, as it Kelly's on Central or O'Neills (spelling??). Isotopes Stadium (on a gorgeous 82 degree May afternoon) for a ballgame, University Stadium (on a gorgeous 61 degree late-October late-afternoon) for a football game, The Pit (on a gorgeous 45 degree early-evening January night) for a hoops game.

The Flying Star on Central or Rio Bravo or Downtown or in the Heights - great hangout places.

Walking out and about on the 350 days-a-year-with-stellar-afternoons-in-ABQ in Old Town among the masses - great hangout.

Sitting among the majestic Sandias foothills with a bottle of green chile wine watching the sunrise / set.

Chatting for hours hiking the great trails like La Luz in the Sandias. Or the Petroglyphs.

How about over an appetizer or beer at Sandia Peak at the High Finance (whose price isn't exactly "high finance").

Or course, you have what, 3 mainstream mall areas in ABQ (with Winrock hopefully to someday recover), etc., etc., etc.

There are tons of "hangouts" in ABQ.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:32 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
What about Satellite Coffee?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:50 AM

195 posts, read 472,330 times
sitting outside after getting a keva juice

Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
OOH how about the duck pond at UNM (preferably in the summer when there are fewer undergrads sprawled out everywhere - I used to be one of them but now I prefer it less crowded).

I also like wandering around bookstores.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
City parks.

Skate parks have become popular. There is a new one finally in Corrales. It's a nice park. The Robert Bell Skate Park at the Corrales Recreation Center. Opened October 25, 2008. The park project had taken 10 years:

There is a nice park accross from the CottonWood Mall.

Rich

Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
MCDC.

The blood plasma donation places.

First street near the soup kitchen.

ABQ Uptown.

ABQConvict

Old 02-14-2009, 02:36 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
What about Satellite Coffee?
Good call vegas, although Satellite is essentially the same as the Flying Star - (owned by the same people / chain). But you are right...Satellite is a sort of lesser-service / overhead version of Flying Star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwhale View Post
sitting outside after getting a keva juice
Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
OOH how about the duck pond at UNM (preferably in the summer when there are fewer undergrads sprawled out everywhere - I used to be one of them but now I prefer it less crowded).
Atta way. Good call. And hit the courtyard near the Zimmerman Library afterwards to seek shade in the refuge of some gorgeous, aged palm palm trees swaying in the breeze.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:05 PM

713 posts, read 1,845,969 times
Barnes & Noble at Coronado Mall, any of the sporting venues...The Pit, University Stadium and I love Isotopes Stadium on a warm summer night with a cold beer and some BBQ nachos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque