Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 AM

439 posts, read 1,222,769 times

Advertisements

So we all know the view from the top of the Sandias and the view from the Petroglyphs are beautiful, but they are places you have to go out of your way to visit in order to see a beautiful vista. So what's your favorite view from within Albuquerque itself, in your day-to-day life in town? A park that you think is beautiful perhaps? A street that gives a great view west? A restaurant that has great scenery?

Here are some views I really like:
1. The neighborhood west of UNM towards downtown - some great glimpses of the mesa from there.
2. The Carlisle/Lead intersection in Nob Hill - a great view north and also a great view of the Sandias.
3. I like going north on the Freeway when the Sandias are covered in snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,746,028 times
The view from by patio of the Four Hills and then nothing but open space to the hill near Los Lunas.

The drive down stagecoach road after leaving home and the view of the Sandia's, especially after it has snowed.

The drive back down the same road in the evening when I can see the lights of the city, or in the day when I can watch the aircraft come in for landing at the airport.

I'm also fortunate enough to view views from a lot of houses with my job, there was one last month in Enchanted hills where you could see the complete mountain range from the backyard. Spectacular!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,646 times
Default elena gallegos

Our favorite was the Elena Gallegos Picnic Area, at the base of the Sandias. It's about 2 min. above Tramway by car. At dusk, the combo of the sunset, and the city lights sprawled out below, is breathtaking. We esp. liked it because it was only an 8 min. drive from our house.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,095,747 times
I like the idea of a list of a few or several.
I don't have a favorite or if I did, I would switch it
around and have a different favorate another week.

( no numbers )

-o- Like Tim, anywhere in and around Ellena Gallegos
-o- Johnson Field at UNM in the early evening just before
..... sunset or early morning
-o- Central Avenue at the Rio Grande crossing looking South-East
..... at the view of the Manzanos framed by the bosqe trees
..... (the river takes a turn here, so the bridge isn't exactly East-West)
-o- View of the Rio Grande Valley just before sunset from Nine Mile Hill
-o- Old(er) buildings at UNM under the mature Cottonwoods and/or Piñon trees.
-o- All the views from the N. Diversion Channel as it bends East - N. of Indian School
..... ( benches are conveniently provided )
-o- View of Four Hills as you drive down Juan Tabo S. of Montgomery Blvd.
-o- Driving either uphill or downhill on Tramway from I-25 to the Tram turn-off
-o- Driving either North or South on Tramway from I-40 to the Tram turn-off
-o- Anywhere along Rio Grande Blvd / any direction / any time of day
..... ( same with Isleta Blvd and 4th St N of Alameda )
-o- All the old buildings on Mountain Road between Edith and Old Town
-o- Looking East down Central from Nob Hill toward the tall buildings at San Mateo
-o- Anywhere around the perimeter of Albuquerque Academy (Wyoming, Academy, Harper)

Last edited by mortimer; 05-07-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,769 times
Johnson Field is a great one! I used to run there in the early mornings and it was such a great view.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,002,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
...driving either uphill or downhill on Tramway from I-25 to the Tram turn-off
I have to agree with this one - we always took the Tramway route when heading north on I-25. Come to think of it, I love the whole drive north on Tramway, starting @ I-40 all the way to I-25.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:25 AM

923 posts, read 2,422,026 times
1) Along the bosque behind the houses in River's Edge in Rio Rancho. This time of year you get the river, all of the green along both sides of the river, and a spectacular view of the mountains. We're going to have a family photo taken from that spot.

2) Driving up Paseo del Norte as you get closer to the mountains. The mountain views are fantastic. If you do the drive near sunset on days when the clouds are just right, the mountains are the beautiful watermelon color they were named after.

3) Driving east on I-40 into Albuquerque at night. As you come over 9 mile hill you can see all of the lights of the city just pop out of the dark desert sky. Makes ya say "wow!"

Old 05-10-2009, 04:58 PM

64 posts, read 205,191 times
Coming into ABQ from the west is my favorite.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:09 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,316,604 times
Skyline Drive in the evening used to be great. Have not been that way in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque