Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm new to the forum (looking to relocate... and considering ABQ). I actually want to thank iloveaustin and handsome for their input because I am one of those previous lurkers who was getting a bad impression from several heated responses (both for and against NM). And sometimes the tone of some positive responses have, weirdly enough, alarmed me and caused me to place an "x" in the no category towards ABQ. Some threads I still don't dare ask a dumb question because I have seen what responses it has brought forth. But this thread actually has changed my opinion for the positive because it seems like an honest discussion has emerged, which if ABQ's culture is to be direct and honest it has definitely shown itself here. Also, I'm thankful for being aware of the SW open honesty way because I may have found myself getting insulted for no reason. I hopefully will have a more informed visit to ABQ now and be less apprehensive about it too.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,216,496 times
Try and post a dumb (dumb being relative) question in the Colorado forum... they are just as blunt as ABQ.

Anyhow... I'm thinking the OP was out to stir-the-pot.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM

177 posts, read 406,394 times
What I think is strange is someone leaving Albuquerque for Austin after having such a miserable time here in New Mexico, then getting on a forum to lambast people in New Mexico and Albuquerque in particular for defending our city and state when people attack it.

I know what Albuquerque's strengths and weaknesses are, I don't need someone who has given up on the place to tell me what they are.

Austin and Portland, in my mind, have very positive self images. For years I have been saying that Albuquerque should have a more positive self image. Is there crime here? Yes. There is also crime in Austin and Portland. I have always supported Albuquerque having a more progressive outlook, a stronger economy, etc. But, as ILoveAustin has pointed out, it is a pretty unique place, and the rules that work in other parts of the USA don't always apply here. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes it is not.

Compared to Austin and Portland, our economy is really lame. So, yeah there is crime. But we have culture. We have a Hispanic Cultural Center, a Pueblo Indian Cultural center. Does Austin? I am a musician, and I know Austin has a storied music scene, and that is something we don't have. EVERY place has something to offer. I am NOT going to move from city to city to "find happiness" or "myself" I am staying put and will make it work here. That is what it means to be part of a family, or a community. Austin has lakes, and a strong business economy. It is also the capitol of a state that has a stronger economy than many countries around the world. So, YEAH, it's DIFFERENT from Albuquerque.

ILoveAustin, I am sorry you had such a miserable go of it in Albuquerque. But I'm going to keep fighting for this place. Wanna say bad things about it? Go ahead, but you do it on the Albuquerque forum, and you will get a response. I would not dream of going to the Austin forum and say negative things, even if I had them to say about Austin.

One more thing: we have red and green chile, Austin doesn't!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
Rob, good post. I am a musician too, here in the 'Metroplex'. I've spent some time in Austin, and I used to like it more than I do now because it grew way too fast and the traffic is awful. But I still like it. The humidity is stifling to me; it's bad enough here in Ft Worth. But that's personal opinion, and I like both places. I'd prefer Albuquerque because of its climate, cultural mix, and splendid surroundings.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:11 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,259 times
Rob i freakin love your post! Its amazin and its the whole truth
i couldnt agree more.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:45 AM

17 posts, read 44,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Martinez View Post
What I think is strange is someone leaving Albuquerque for Austin after having such a miserable time here in New Mexico, then getting on a forum to lambast people in New Mexico and Albuquerque in particular for defending our city and state when people attack it.

I know what Albuquerque's strengths and weaknesses are, I don't need someone who has given up on the place to tell me what they are.

Austin and Portland, in my mind, have very positive self images. For years I have been saying that Albuquerque should have a more positive self image. Is there crime here? Yes. There is also crime in Austin and Portland. I have always supported Albuquerque having a more progressive outlook, a stronger economy, etc. But, as ILoveAustin has pointed out, it is a pretty unique place, and the rules that work in other parts of the USA don't always apply here. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes it is not.

Compared to Austin and Portland, our economy is really lame. So, yeah there is crime. But we have culture. We have a Hispanic Cultural Center, a Pueblo Indian Cultural center. Does Austin? I am a musician, and I know Austin has a storied music scene, and that is something we don't have. EVERY place has something to offer. I am NOT going to move from city to city to "find happiness" or "myself" I am staying put and will make it work here. That is what it means to be part of a family, or a community. Austin has lakes, and a strong business economy. It is also the capitol of a state that has a stronger economy than many countries around the world. So, YEAH, it's DIFFERENT from Albuquerque.

ILoveAustin, I am sorry you had such a miserable go of it in Albuquerque. But I'm going to keep fighting for this place. Wanna say bad things about it? Go ahead, but you do it on the Albuquerque forum, and you will get a response. I would not dream of going to the Austin forum and say negative things, even if I had them to say about Austin.

One more thing: we have red and green chile, Austin doesn't!
well put for being honest instead of just pro NM.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
One of the reasons we are considering Socorro as a retirement or snowbird destination is that Albuquerque is only about 1.5 hours away if we want to museum, specialty shop or meet friends flying in from the East. We are not considering moving to Albuquerque because I/we prefer rural/suburban/small town to either largish city or tiny communities like Pie Town.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:49 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifnot2 View Post
I actually want to thank iloveaustin and handsome for their input
I'm sure ''handsome'' is not too concerned as he was Banned a while back....lol....

Thanks to EnjoyEP for that as he keeps the ABQ and El Paso haters in check .

Old 07-15-2008, 07:59 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,216,496 times
Wow... I totally forgot Pie Town existed. (what's that I hear? road trip?)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:49 AM

108 posts, read 271,481 times
Wow! Some people just need to let this thread go. It's sooooo funny how a long dead thread can suddenly resurface. I haven't been posting in this forum or any forum for that matter. I realized that any old dope could get behind a computer and say things they would never say in a live conversation. Internet forums allow the cowardly to feel brave because there is no serious repercussion from it. I write in here what I would also say to someone in front of me. I am not so sure about some of the other posters around here. That is the big downfall to forums, there is no respect and people usually don't think before they post. Then some fool comes on and reads it and gives it rep points. Not my kind of thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque