Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 01:36 AM

519 posts, read 1,700,941 times

Advertisements

In the three days I spent there this past week, these are my observations:

1) Zoning: I don't know anything about zoning in ABQ, but it seems odd there are trailers next to pueblos next to brick mansions.

2) Landscaping: Some people have interesting rocks in their yard, or chainsawed their tree into a bear (b/t 8th or 9th and Coal), or some people just let their weeds take over (a house I'll be moving into in a few weeks). It's all very interesting.

3) It's also odd the zoo is right next to houses.

4) The Botanical Garden = AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

5) What's with parks having names (and hanging signs) and neighborhoods having names? It's cool, and I'm not used to that.

6) I was very happy to see all the trees and grass. And the 80 degree temps.

7) Being City-Like: I think it's nice there aren't sky risers ... except for the ABQ Bank bldg. Though I think the cafe-like atmosphere of downtown (3rd and 4th) mixed with modern convention center and modern outdoor stage could have been unified.

8) IMHO, I think it would be easier if the downtown was structured like Santa Fe ... a large park with side streets for restaurants, museums, music, etc.

9) Why is Tingley Beach a beach, and where are the swimming spots?

But, regardless, I think the city is easy to get around, the two freeways are easy to use (at least there aren't 20 freeways!), and it *doesn't* feel like a city of 850,000 because everything is spread out.

I'm going to like it -- especially with a second Trader Joe's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:26 AM

177 posts, read 407,209 times
A vibrant and dynamic downtown would help. A 30 story tower, a 25 story hotel, and a modern arena for concerts, sports, and community events. And these things are being considered, whether they become a reality is another story.

Whether for or against these things, they are what comes to mind when people think of a real city. That, and lots of people, traffic, and pollution, which we already have!

Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,929,091 times
Tingley Beach isn't really a beach for swimming, more of a small pond for fishing. A link can be found on the city website if you use google.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:31 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,267,518 times
Exclamation Overreaction, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
A six Flags is what the youth in albuquerque need! its not distroying its character..people need to stop coming up with excuses like "it will ruin the view of the mountains and the stars"?! wtf? first of all the view of the mountains will always be there those mountains are 11,000+ feet in elevation. And the excuse about the stars? what the hell... go out into your backyard and you can see the stars from there. Having taller skyscrapers and better buildings isnt such a bad idea! Albuquerque is growing so fast wheather or not you like it, and i'm glad there building that 40 story skysraper its what we need, were not a little city anymore!
I was born and raised here and i'm proud of that fact, and if people arent in for the whole "development thing" then leave go somewhere else its 2008 for christ sake!
Wow, dude, take a pill. I was just giving my opinion. No need to get your knickers in a twist. Having worked at Six Flags in Arlington every summer and some winters for about ten years, I have no special love for the place, being a big plastic overpriced series of advertisements, but to each his own. If you want Albuquerque to look like Dallas, so be it.

I don't understand this idea that to look like a 'real city', it has to have skyscrapers. I like the urban planning idea of spreading the city out, so that it has nodes away from downtown where people can find nearly everything they need nearby. It makes sense, especially with the high fuel prices which I fear are here to stay. Let's try to have a civil discussion without so many exclamation points. (!!!!!)

Also bear in mind that a big water park, especially in a dry climate like Albuquerque's, is going to use and lose a huge amount of water. I like water parks (they are fun), but in an area struggling with an ongoing drought, it might be better to do without.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,242,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
Yea, I live up near Juan Tabo and Indian School... and find it very dusty, dirty, and drab... like the rest of the city. I guess it just all depends on what you like. Las Vegas, which is in an even more arid desert... has more green.
Where do you suggest we get the water?

(hint: we're already using more than we should)

Old 07-12-2008, 04:48 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,051,867 times
The title of this thread has always bothered me.

What does ABQ need to make it look like a REAL city? Isn't it already a REAL CITY?

Or did the opening poster mean "to make it look like every other city?"

Why on earth would anyone want that?

Last edited by Towanda; 07-12-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 07-12-2008, 06:20 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,063,774 times
you can have that city feel without having to look like anytown USA, Albuquerque is unique so they can think outside the box and do something a little different instead of throwing up big box store after another and creating sprawl, with gas prices the way they are it makes sense to build up.

for instance take Phoenix(metro around 4mil.) with a small downtown and lots of sprawl, the city just looks like one big suburb.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:46 PM

382 posts, read 1,230,391 times
I read an article a couple of years ago about the soil conditions in Albuquerque that prevent skyscrapers from being easily built. I'll do some research.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM

382 posts, read 1,230,391 times
Default Arena

I'm all for the arena as long as zero taxpayer dollars are expended on it.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,929,091 times
Well I too would like to see Albuquerque's downtown to grow. I want some new high rises--but for more than a skyline. I want there to be businesses and people in downtown to make it a vibrant fun completely Unique place. I want all the new high rises to be architecturally different than anywhere USA. Perhaps there is some way the buildings could be built with the culture in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque