Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,462,707 times

Advertisements

Just re-read my post and it sounds a bit "snotty" (for lack of better term). Dont take it that way, Im not upset, just really, really, really confused. LOL I will never agree that ABQ has smarter people than Chicago. The odds are just stacked against little ABQ from the get-go.

Chicago is too high powered and too high-tech to even compare to ABQ, and along with it comes big $$$ and big brains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Here, maybe this will help open some eyes: over 11K tech companies in Chicago alone, not talking the suburbs which are home to thousands more.

http://www.gaebler.com/best-city-for...-companies.htm

Old 02-23-2007, 10:27 AM

Why cant I edit my posts? Hmmm, strange. Ill just say that Im sorry I got off topic, and if anyone wants to discuss this further, please PM me. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.

As for skyscrapers, I still stand by my opinion that ABQ would most definitely benefit from them, build up, not out.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 PM

181 posts, read 708,251 times
I will stand by my opinion as well...no skyscrapers. As far as the statistics go, the figures are simply a ratio that compares the number of people age 25 years or older with a bachelor's degree to that of the overall city poplulation. Albuquerque benefits from the fact that it has a much smaller total population compared to Chicago. How can this info be flawed? The truth is in the numbers. Like it or not, Albuquerque earns its spot on the list.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:28 PM

101 posts, read 449,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think that info is HIGHLY flawed, no way ABQ has "smarter people" with their bad school system and small tech base and no nationally recognized colleges/med schools. I really think that is some bogus info. LOL
Actually lot of parents send their kids to private schools(St. Pius is a huge one) or high end public schools(the ones that made Time and Sports Illustrated, which is why those high end ones are overcrowded). Other than that it's hit or miss really; And UNM is actually notable for its med school and science department.

I don't find your posts snooty or offensive, just Chicago-biased. But we all have those biases.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:42 PM

Where is St. Pius? Is that in Rio Rancho? Sounds familiar....

Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 AM

15 posts, read 141,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Where is St. Pius? Is that in Rio Rancho? Sounds familiar....
No, but it is on the westside (of the river). It's near the intersection of Coors and I-40 (about two miles north).

Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 PM

82 posts, read 639,751 times
Albuquerque should not be built like or another phoenix. It should not be built like another Dallas either. maybe another one or two more 300-400 foot highrises would look good. ABQ already is a great city, why change it? The skyline isnt that bad and ABQ already has nice arcitecture the way it is. why do I think ABQ shouldnt build something too tall or too out of place is Albuquerque is great and unique how it is, it offers most things cities five times of it have minus many of the drawbacks. Albuquerque is already a great city.

Now is this that bad...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/zvercetti/bannerimageinternal.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,518,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvercetti View Post
Albuquerque should not be built like or another phoenix. It should not be built like another Dallas either. maybe another one or two more 300-400 foot highrises would look good. ABQ already is a great city, why change it? The skyline isnt that bad and ABQ already has nice arcitecture the way it is. why do I think ABQ shouldnt build something too tall or too out of place is Albuquerque is great and unique how it is, it offers most things cities five times of it have minus many of the drawbacks. Albuquerque is already a great city.

Now is this that bad...
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q47/zvercetti/bannerimageinternal.jpg (broken link)
Nope, ALB has a beautifull skyline. If your traveling from Gallup NM to ALB via I40 at night you will come down the mountain to see the city lights. You can see forever. There are many other places in the city that you cas see for miles. It looks cool durring the day but unbeliveable at night. I love the ALB skyline, even wiithout the tall buildings.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 PM

101 posts, read 355,340 times
it needs a imax theatre to watch spiderman in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque