Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 12:06 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,119 times

Advertisements

Mikus - you broke the news before me! I wrote about this on skyscraper forum. It seems the link calls for a 30 story tower, however, somone close to the project said it may end up between 35 to 50 stories! The demand in it has already exceeded expectations so ABQ may finally get a real skyscraper, hopefully it won't get voted down by the NIMBY's!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,289,648 times
I actually think that building looks pretty cool.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:41 AM

811 posts, read 2,940,848 times
That is one cool looking building!!
It would really create a skyline for Albuquerque if it is built with 50 floors, thats twice the size of the tallest one now.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:49 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,119 times
Nick over at skyscrapercity.com said it looks like La Posada is moving forward with the renovation and the owner Gary Goodman wants to add another 26 story hotel behind La Posada at 2nd & Central. If the Hotel/Arena/Retail/Condo project take off we could be looking at 3-5 new skyscrapers downtown.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 19,522 times
I'm beside myself!! I can't believe what I am reading!! Whoo hoo!! Here's a link to the story in the Albuquerque Tribune.

Proposed 30-story Albuquerque high-rise would be tallest in N.M. : Local : Albuquerque Tribune

Looks like this story is all over the news!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,735 times
I'm completely for tasteful construction of skyscrapers in our downtown, as this building appears to be. That being said, I think a new skyscraper such as that one would really make downtown look lopsided, and would appear quite out of place. As the article mentions, the tallest building downtown and in the entire state is only 22 stories, and a lot of the larger buildings downtown are only around 10-15 stories high. A 30 story building, with a contemporary design no less, would really just make the rest of downtown look dated and somewhat pitiful. The only way to realistically create a unique and attractive skyline in downtown ABQ would be to either tear down some of the "boxier" buildings (e.g. the Bank of New Mexico building), or construct a number of new, well designed skyscrapers, or both. Could happen, but obviously time and money are factors here, as well as attracting companies and builders that even want to tackle such projects in Albuquerque in the first place. It's one thing to dream big; it's quite another to actually accomplish it.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:43 PM

232 posts, read 846,178 times
You all are making me incredibly sad.

I having been planning on moving to this area for several months now because I WANT a smallish laid back kind of atmosphere.

I was supposed to be leaving for ABQ in 2 weeks but I may change my mind and start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for the disappointment.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:54 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
I'm completely for tasteful construction of skyscrapers in our downtown, as this building appears to be. That being said, I think a new skyscraper such as that one would really make downtown look lopsided, and would appear quite out of place. As the article mentions, the tallest building downtown and in the entire state is only 22 stories, and a lot of the larger buildings downtown are only around 10-15 stories high. A 30 story building, with a contemporary design no less, would really just make the rest of downtown look dated and somewhat pitiful. The only way to realistically create a unique and attractive skyline in downtown ABQ would be to either tear down some of the "boxier" buildings (e.g. the Bank of New Mexico building), or construct a number of new, well designed skyscrapers, or both. Could happen, but obviously time and money are factors here, as well as attracting companies and builders that even want to tackle such projects in Albuquerque in the first place. It's one thing to dream big; it's quite another to actually accomplish it.

Yes the building will make the others look old, however it will force them to renovate the other buildings. And don't be too surprised if it starts a building frenzy with others of simular size and style to follow.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Yes the building will make the others look old, however it will force them to renovate the other buildings. And don't be too surprised if it starts a building frenzy with others of simular size and style to follow.
That's what I'm hoping for, it would really set a precedent for other developers to come in and build similar skyscrapers. With any luck, our downtown will some day reflect those of perhaps Seattle or Vancouver, in terms of how unique and attractive it is. Personally, I think building high-rise condos and residences like the aforementioned building is key to sprucing up the downtown corridor of our city, at least until companies moving in jumpstart a trend in the building of corporate edifices.

Vesper - If you are coming from either SoCal or the Bay area, I guarantee ABQ will feel quite laid back. However, Albuquerque is by no means a small community; it's experiencing rapid growth that doesn't seem to have any end in sight for the immediate future. A "smallish" atmosphere describes any number of towns in New Mexico including communities near the city, just not Albuquerque itself.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:08 AM

5 posts, read 19,522 times
I'm sure that many of you know of the Bank of the West tower at Central and San Mateo Blvd? I understand that the building was built in 1965 at the same time as an identical twin was built in Phoenix. Well, I don't know about you but I think that building has to rank as one of the ugliest around. It's way past it prime and in need of a major exterior renovation. The one in Phoenix was renovated many years ago and looks awesome. They even added a lattice pyramid to the top and a sweet night lighting scheme. Anyway, I think it's time that Albuquerque embrace new and higher standards. I live in Minneapolis now and just went home to Albuquerque last week. Although I was extremely impressed with everything that had changed, there were aspects of it that just looked dated and untidy...almost third-world in a way. It is, without a doubt, heading in the right direction. I'm extremely proud to see what my hometown has done while I've been away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque