Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,348 times

Advertisements

Tucker was such a good boy! We have Shelties and they'd have been all over that Roadrunner.
And yes, I have seen them glide like that, but not fly overhead.

My kids suffer from dry nasal cavities which result in bloody noses, mostly in the late winter and early spring. The doctor said it was okay to put a teenie-tiny dab of Vaseline in the nose and spread it around each night (very small amount -- just enough to cut the dryness). Boy did hat really cut down on the nose bleeds. We tried the first recommendation of a lubricant gel, but that didn't work.

OP, I am glad you found some enjoyable things. One thing that takes my breath away every time, is seeing the Sandias covered in snow. I could just stare at them all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM

434 posts, read 1,106,268 times
It is dry, but the nose thing and your skin should at least slightly improve within a month after your body adjusts.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,510,276 times
I spent a week in Albuquerque in August. My nose bleed everyday. For some reason it usually started in the morning or at lunch in a restaurant. I had a bad one at one of the Cracker Barrel's in Abq. The people were very nice to me because I was so self concious and embarrassed. Everyone was giving me kleenex. I've had the same problem when driving thru Colorado but it was much worse in NM. I thought NM seems beautiful but this nose bit is ridiculous, and at times alarming if its a bad one. I'm beginning to think people that are prone to sinus conditions, may develop the nosebleeds more than someone that does not. Of course anyone can have them I imagine.

I actually saw a Roadrunner on my visit. I parked at the train station just north of Rio Rancho. As I walked across the lot to the train a Roadrunner ran across the end of the lot. I had never seen one before. I can definitely say the bird lives up to its name. It can sure move. Maybe it was a sign of good luck, because I took the train to Santa Fe and enjoyed the day without a nosebleed.

Sorry your trip to Albuquerque was less than adequate for you.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 AM

137 posts, read 278,768 times
mrgoodwx, thank you for such a thoughtful and honest post. It does seem (as I thought) that maybe these issues are something I'd have to live with if moving to ABQ.

Thanks ABQConvict and lobo so I should have put some oil or Crisco up in my nose.

ApartmentNomad thank you for your honesty

I didn't know there could be such a long time for not seeing a roadrunner. I figured it was a daily thing like birds in the sky. Rich I have seen that video and your dog is the sweetest.

Last edited by TULSA2ABQ; 10-29-2012 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:18 AM

137 posts, read 278,768 times
It was a wonderful magical trip for me. The things I didn't like were a complete surprise to me that hair, skin, nose would be sooo bad. But the things I knew I'd like, were far and above any imaginings I had. I LOVED it!

Now I have to head east to Chattanooga, and Maryville TN (maybe Huntsville AL). So just this week they got a freeze and winds that is knocking all their leaves down. First week of November is supposed to be their height of Fall leaves. So much for my best laid plans. lol But I am going to contrast living there to ABQ.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
The thing about nosebleeds and stopped-up noses is that it's mostly indoor New Mexico that causes them, not outdoor New Mexico (and only during cold months). Most hotels will run either forced-air gas furnaces or heat pump units with fans, and these will toast up the air to >100° and run that desiccated air past your nose. More humid places work similarly but the starting humidity is high enough that the air is still moist enough to avoid nosebleeds.

Moving where you are in the hotel room may be the most effective solution; if you have two beds, pick the one further away from the heating unit. Hot dry air rises, so consider moving your blankets and nest to the floor. Running the shower for a couple of hours before bed, with curtain and doors open, may also be effective if your room is set up to take advantage of it.

Passive oil-filled radiator-style heaters tend to be far better for comfort than forced-air furnaces, even though they cost more to run since they're generally electric and resistive.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:53 PM

186 posts, read 465,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TULSA2ABQ View Post
It was a wonderful magical trip for me. The things I didn't like were a complete surprise to me that hair, skin, nose would be sooo bad. But the things I knew I'd like, were far and above any imaginings I had. I LOVED it!

Now I have to head east to Chattanooga, and Maryville TN (maybe Huntsville AL). So just this week they got a freeze and winds that is knocking all their leaves down. First week of November is supposed to be their height of Fall leaves. So much for my best laid plans. lol But I am going to contrast living there to ABQ.
I have lived in both NM and in TN, and I'm currently in SW MO (which is close enough to Tulsa to be in your backyard for the purposes of this posting). If you're considering a move to either the SW or the SE, it will really boil down to what you want to put up with and which climate appeals to you more.

The SE US, such as TN, has some HORRID humidity. If you think Tulsa in the summer is bad, you have no idea how rough a southern summer can be. You "kind of" get used to it, but once the temp gets over about 90, and the humidity is consistently over 80%, it wears on the body no matter how long you live there. I grew up down there, and I still would feel like I was swimming in the air when I walked outside. The flip side, of course, were the amazing seasonal changes. Few places in the country get the amazing fall colors that you see in TN or anywhere along the Appalachians. You won't get nosebleeds, and your hair won't be dry.....but you may have oily skin(and breakouts) and frizz instead.

The SW is dry (obviously). When I first moved to NM, I had nosebleeds often. It's a combination of the drier air and the change in elevation. Mine got better about a month into living there, and stopped completely (other than a bit of blood if I had a sinus problem that made me blow my nose more often) after about 3 months. As to the feeling like crap in Santa Fe, that was most certainly the change in elevation. I made several trips out to Santa Fe before I moved there, and each time I would be sick as a dog for about 48 hours. Once I moved, however, it didn't take that long for me to adjust. My advice, if you go back, would be to make sure you stay VERY well-hydrated, avoid alcohol (and soda) until you've had a couple days, and make sure you get enough sleep. It doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but there is a huge elevation change between that area of the country and what you're used to.

And you might be able to see a roadrunner where you live now, you know....they have them down in Arkansas, so one might sneak over the border into OK now and then.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM

850 posts, read 3,716,179 times
I moved to Albuquerque from sea level Portland Oregon about 6 months ago and don't seem to be having the problems you do. I haven't noticed any changes in my hair. My skin has always been very dry, so I guess I don't see much of a difference here. I use "Healing Goldbond Lotion" that works very well for my hands.

Nasal obsession I have experienced...I have never had allergies before in my life. There was about a week this fall where I was bothered with post-nasal drip, but it wasn't anything terrible. Not to be gross but I have a constant urge to pick my nose here. It must be the elevation or dry climate that is causing me to constantly have..."stuff" in my nose. I sure hope this goes away at some point!

Yes, driving is horrific here. I have never seen such bad drivers in my life--stopping on onramps, turning right from the furthest lane on the left, red light runners, SLOW drivers, etc. And the people that work at the licensing offices are completely inept at their job. I told them I had moved to the state and needed to transfer everything over. It took four visits for them to finally figure out all the paperwork I would need. Well, actually they finally gave me a form and I figured it out myself.

It sounds like you experienced altitude sickness. This hasn't been a problem for me at all. I did hike up the La Luz trail and was pretty out of breath as I was nearing the top, but for the most part I haven't had any problems.

I have to say, though, that I absolutely love it here! The people are friendly, traffic is minimal, and those beautiful sunny days that I wake up to everyday make up for the bad. I talk to my family on the phone in Washington State and they are so jealous because they are already getting the clouds and rain.

I have a roadrunner that stops by at least once a week in my front yard. I have this big lavender looking bush in the yard and there's a swarm of probably 10 green finches that go to the flowers. I also have yellow finches, doves, red finches, and various other things. (Don't even get me started on the roaches, and I was doing yard work the other day and found probably 20 black widow spiders).

Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM

461 posts, read 922,572 times
I've lived here about 3 months now from WI.

In relation to health issues, my skin has stayed mostly the same as it was. It used to get dry before in colder temps, and has now. I just apply some lotion and everything is fine. I have noticed some blood in my nose at times, but it never runs and is minor. My contacts are pretty bad in the dryness, but they sucked before too due to allergies (which I have not had here, and September was always my worse month back home). My hair hasn't changed. People suck at driving here, I will give you that.

In regards to the wildlife you were talking about, I see those little lizards everywhere and I've seen about 20-30 roadrunners here. The ones I've seen have been gliding more than flying as some have mentioned.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:39 PM

49 posts, read 106,070 times
We get a Roadrunner on occasion.
My dogs will make a lame attempt to 'chase it', then wander back to the front porch for some R&R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque