Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times

Advertisements

I'm strongly thinking about driving to New Mex from PA. Taking the car in to get scheduled maintenance work done. Has anyone driven from the North East to NM? And if so, what should I expect other than the obvious? (long drive @#s drive)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
I'm strongly thinking about driving to New Mex from PA.
Drove from south central PA to ABQ several times in 1998 period...

About 1900 miles, 30+ hours of driving, 3 or 4 day drive, plan your hotels near the end, not too many places to stay.

Rich

Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Drove from south central PA to ABQ several times in 1998 period...

About 1900 miles, 30+ hours of driving, 3 or 4 day drive, plan your hotels near the end, not too many places to stay.

Rich
Looking to do it in two days with my oldest. Figured we can stop off in St. Louis and then Amarillo.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Make sure you trust your mechanic, or wait a day or two after scheduled maintenance to get on your road trip. A friend had a bad experience with their oil change (let's just call the company "Iffy Lube") where the drain plug was not correctly replaced and didn't fall out until 4 hours' drive from here, spilling all the oil and risking catastrophic engine failure in the middle of nowhere.

If you're like me and 10 hours a day is about your limit, recommend you look at stops in Tulsa OK and Indianapolis IN.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
As a former mechanic, auto, motorcycle and aircraft mechanic, who use to do all his own maintenance on all those items, do not do any maintenance 10 miles before you go on a trip...

Your vehicle should be in good shape to begin with. Do the maintenance 50 (?) miles or more before leaving. Simple things fail after someone "checks" them...

Rich

Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Make sure you trust your mechanic, or wait a day or two after scheduled maintenance to get on your road trip. A friend had a bad experience with their oil change (let's just call the company "Iffy Lube") where the drain plug was not correctly replaced and didn't fall out until 4 hours' drive from here, spilling all the oil and risking catastrophic engine failure in the middle of nowhere.

If you're like me and 10 hours a day is about your limit, recommend you look at stops in Tulsa OK and Indianapolis IN.
Had my last oil change done at iffy lube. I figure me and my oldest can switch up every 5 hours or so. Maybe driving cross country is a crazy idea, but I figure since I've flown and taken a train to New Mex. Driving is the finale frontier for me.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,612 times
I drove from MD. I-81 to I-40. did it in 3 days with overnight stops in Nashville, and OKC. It took around 30 hours total.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
I drove from MD. I-81 to I-40. did it in 3 days with overnight stops in Nashville, and OKC. It took around 30 hours total.
Would you do it again?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 PM

52 posts, read 103,967 times
Last summer, I drove from Poughkeepsie, NY back to Albuquerque (where I live) in 3 days. We stopped in Cincinnati, OH and Tulsa, OK. It was a long drive and we hit some nasty thunderstorms in western Missouri, but besides that it was a pretty uneventful drive. My only advice is to get a good night sleep every night - it makes a huge difference and to know where hotels and gas stations are located. There are long stretches of absolutely nothing, especially in Texas and NM. Also I would even out the trip a little more - if you are going to make it all the way to Amarillo, you may as well just drive all the way to NM. It's a completely do-able drive, but will eat a lot of time out of your trip, if you only have a limited time.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:46 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
We did South Jersey/Philadelphia - Harrisburg to Albuquerque in 2006 on that route. Took 5 days but we had a day loading in Harrisburg and drove a big Penske truck too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Would you do it again?
H**L NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque