Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times

Advertisements

Wow. As I pretty much predicted, I loved Albuquerque. What I loved especially was the lack of humidity - I hiked around the Petroglyph National Monument (which was so neat!!!) at high noon on Sunday and barely broke a sweat. It was hardly 65 yesterday afternoon here in Baltimore and I was pretty moist from a 4-block walk to the bank. To hell with humidity.

We stayed at Isleta so my mom could shoot dice all day (she did very well) while my girlfriend and myself could explore. We liked Isleta a lot; the pool was half-inside, half-outside, which was really neat. The proximity to downtown was unbeatable (especially with a 75 mph speed limit - unheard of on the East Coast!).

I ate green chile on everything; the ladies were not as impressed. There is actually a New Mexico-ish restaurant nearby in Balto. that isn't the same, but will probably hold me over 'til I can get back to NM.

Our favorite restaurant was High Noon in Old Town: we went twice! Exceptional service and great food. Two fools Irish Pub in Nob Hill served up a tremendous plate of nachos. We were enamored with the tortilla machine at Smith's. We also saw some balloons from our patio at Isleta, jumped in the car and chased them down to Peralta, and got to see them close up. The young lady was especially impressed with that (yes!).

We rented bikes at Northeast Cyclery, on Menaul west of Wyoming, and took a nice ride through some of the marked bike routes and trails on the CABQ map. Overall, it's a great bike city. However, I don't see how Avenida Cesar Chavez could be called a bike route - the young lady was not happy with me after being made to ride on it.

We rode over to the Bosque trail and then we went to the aquarium and botanical gardens. We loved both. Then we put the bikes on the Central Av. bus and rode to Louisiana, where we hopped on another bus to take us back to NE. Polite drivers and the $1 fare is a bargain.

We spent a day in Santa Fe also, which was not incredibly enjoyable - too crowded and touristy. But certainly beautiful. We had time for only one museum, which was the Georgia O'Keefe museum (thereby scoring more points with the young lady - yes!). Neat. Given the choice, I'd live in ABQ over Santa Fe. It seems a lot more down to earth. I don't belong in the same place as the "beautiful people."

Wrapping this up, I'd say that ABQ remains on my very short list of places to move. Still 1 year+ away, but in the meantime, I'll definitely be back to visit and do all of the other stuff I didn't get to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:07 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
(especially with a 75 mph speed limit - unheard of on the East Coast!)
Is this a joke? Man my bike will love that speed.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Is this a joke? Man my bike will love that speed.
No joke. Outside of city limits on I-25, it's 75.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:06 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Well the speed limit is 75 but you are considered a chump if you don't do at least 85-90mph in my experience (La Bajada excepted) just watch out for Pueblo speed traps.

ABQConvict

Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Luckily most people who might consider uprooting and moving here will have trouble selling their old house in this economy, meaning Hands' glowing praises of ABQ (well-written and well-deserved) will hopefully fade out of memory before everyone packs up and moves on in.

I'm glad Hands had a full enjoyment of the land of enchantment. The best types of visitors are the ones who recognize just how special this place is.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well the speed limit is 75 but you are considered a chump if you don't do at least 85-90mph in my experience (La Bajada excepted) just watch out for Pueblo speed traps.

ABQConvict
Don't tell me this. My bike crave's for those speeds through the canyon. Having an 06 gsxr 750, would often times bring that sort of mentality about. Just don't let me wife know.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Luckily most people who might consider uprooting and moving here will have trouble selling their old house in this economy, meaning Hands' glowing praises of ABQ (well-written and well-deserved) will hopefully fade out of memory before everyone packs up and moves on in.

I'm glad Hands had a full enjoyment of the land of enchantment. The best types of visitors are the ones who recognize just how special this place is.
Well said. I plan on coming this fall. Hopefully by then the housing market will be a tad better then what it currently is.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:35 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Don't tell me this. My bike crave's for those speeds through the canyon. Having an 06 gsxr 750, would often times bring that sort of mentality about. Just don't let me wife know.
LOL!! I know the feeling. I just got my license endorsement and put the first
30 miles on this today...

Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Congrats on the new ride. Weather sure has been nice enough to enjoy it.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Congratulations!

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque