Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 11,987 times

Advertisements

I am an artist that has my work displayed in a company's showroom. Recently, a customer came in, picked up my business card and I got some work from them, great. I asked the person if they dealt with anyone directly, and they said they did not; they just picked up a card. I am a person of integrity and wanted to thank the company for having my work displayed by sending a check, which in fact I did. The check, (which was written to the person that invited me there,) cleared a week ago and I have not received a thank you in the form of a quick e-mail, phone call, or card. This bothers me because I find it very inconsiderate. . .how should I handle this tactfully? I can't just let this slide.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 PM

605 posts, read 1,845,462 times
well why would you send them a check? thats like if you went to a farm, bought a truckload of apples to your restaurant, and then the farmer sent you money back? Why wouldn't you just reduce the price in the first place.
but i agree it was rude. but i do not suggest doing anything, otherwise they'll spread bad things about you around.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 PM

429 posts, read 1,479,615 times
Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine - not receiving acknowledgement of a gift received... at least drop a line to let me know you got it. Sorry it happened to you but I agree with chicken - don't do anything, just move on. Or play 'dumb' and call the person and ask if they received your check and that you just wanted to show how much you appreciate them displaying/advertising your work. That way they will have to acknowledge they received it and surely they would then say, "thanks but you didn't have to do it". Surely...

Old 03-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Hello Nugget and Soggy, thank you for responding. I sent them a check because we have a referral system. If I get a job from them along with their products, they get a percentage. Since someone just got my card and didn't deal directly with them, I felt it was good business to send a referral check; I wouldn't have had that business if they didn't see my work there. Yep, it's a pet peeve of mine too. I don't expect a huge thank you, but a simple acknowledgement. I just might call to "see if they got it" and let the conversation play out, good idea.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Here's another beauty, and actually far more irritating. . .I had my work in a showroom that moved locations. They didn't call me to let me know, I just found out. Ok fine, that's alright, but I wanted my work back. The gentleman that had my work said he would call so I could pick it up. He never called back, so I called, and mysteriously, all of the work that was theirs found it's way back. . .just not mine. He not only does not know where it is, he didn't apologize for losing it. Obviously, the lesson I have learned is that I need to have more scrutiny in where I display and who I have business dealings with, but crapsakes, how do people function this way?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:09 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ View Post
I sent them a check because we have a referral system. If I get a job from them along with their products, they get a percentage. Since someone just got my card and didn't deal directly with them, I felt it was good business to send a referral check; I wouldn't have had that business if they didn't see my work there. Yep, it's a pet peeve of mine too. I don't expect a huge thank you, but a simple acknowledgement. I just might call to "see if they got it" and let the conversation play out, good idea.
Well, the referral system wasn't mentioned in the beginning. So I wonder what the deal is.

I use to do some consulting which required me to hire some people to do work. They all got paid by check, every check had a letter from me explaining their pay. The letter included a thank you...

I have to wonder if you included a letter with your check or if the showroom even knows what your check was for.

Rich

Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Thanks for writing Rich, Yes, I did include a card explaining why I was thanking them along with the check, in addition to a note in the memo on the check, "Thank you for having my work up." I suppose I somehow have to get over the fact that many people don't understand how important it is to thank people for the things they do, no matter how big or small. I'm someone that doesn't call a company to complain about an employee, I take the time to praise the ones that are helpful, have good attitudes, and are friendly.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM

405 posts, read 1,337,000 times
For a long time it has been a common "law" if you will that an individual has 60 days to send out thank you cards. And time after that is unacceptable.
If I were you I would let things sit dormant for awhile and see what happens. Before the 60 day deadline I would call/stop by and asked if they recieved your check..as if you had no idea they already had.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,880,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaJ View Post
Thanks for writing Rich, Yes, I did include a card explaining why I was thanking them
I know how you feel. It is an unfortunate act of society in some areas. It could be a screw up, but I hear that too often.

But then I have been called rude....

Rich

Old 03-28-2009, 10:19 AM

That makes sense Fischer, it can take time to respond when there are so many things going on in one's lives-I'll just wait it out a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque