Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the UNM vs. NMSU game?
UNM- They're due. 1 33.33%
NMSU- UNM's _that_ bad. 1 33.33%
Neither- They'll find a way to tie.. at ZERO. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:37 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,220,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Maybe we should have spent more?
I firmly believe that football coach's compensation should be tied to financial performance; this can take the form of attendance, win/loss record, etc.

The best MWC program coach salaries:

TCU (13-0): $1.64M
Utah (10-3): $1.17M

If you look at a cost per won game, both come in at about $100k/win. UNM's cost per won game was $750k/win.

Looking at top-tier program salaries vs. win/losses:

Oregon (12-1): $2.4M
Stanford (12-1): ?
Ohio State (12-1): $3.8M
Oklahoma (12-2): $4.3M

Each of these cases was still less than half UNM's cost per won game, and these are in tough divisions.

Even among losers, UNM stood out.

San Jose State (1-12): $400k
Memphis (1-11): $750k
Akron (1-11): $375k

In all fairness, with fewer scholarships to hand out re: NCAA violations prior to his arrival, Locksley arrived with the deck stacked against him. Still, there was absolutely no justification for whoever approved his contract to set the salary so high and buyout clauses so stupidly. I hope whoever succeeds him (I don't care if they coach high school ball now) gets half the salary, no buyouts for early termination, and handsome bonuses for outperforming.

Anyone know who approved Locksley's contract on the UNM side? Was it the athletic director, regents, president?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:30 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,001,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Still, there was absolutely no justification for whoever approved his contract to set the salary so high and buyout clauses so stupidly.
I agree there. It was twice with him...

Rich

Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 AM

372 posts, read 713,889 times
Quote:
Anyone know who approved Locksley's contract on the UNM side? Was it the athletic director, regents, president?

I believe it was Paul Krebs.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,322,290 times
Coming from Louisiana where LSU football doninates, the UNM program is definably a huge change.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 PM

277 posts, read 684,575 times
Locksley to Maryland as offensive coordinator...

Thoughts on Davie?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
Locksley to Maryland as offensive coordinator...
He certainly was offensive here.

Why would you even work again? His salary was enough for many people to retire on. I'd be too ashamed to accept any coaching position for a while, but maybe that's why UNM didn't pay me what they did him.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:09 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,080,950 times
Quote:
I firmly believe that football coach's compensation should be tied to financial performance; this can take the form of attendance, win/loss record, etc.

The best MWC program coach salaries:

TCU (13-0): $1.64M
Utah (10-3): $1.17M

If you look at a cost per won game, both come in at about $100k/win. UNM's cost per won game was $750k/win.

Looking at top-tier program salaries vs. win/losses:

Oregon (12-1): $2.4M
Stanford (12-1): ?
Ohio State (12-1): $3.8M
Oklahoma (12-2): $4.3M

Each of these cases was still less than half UNM's cost per won game, and these are in tough divisions.

Even among losers, UNM stood out.

San Jose State (1-12): $400k
Memphis (1-11): $750k
Akron (1-11): $375k

In all fairness, with fewer scholarships to hand out re: NCAA violations prior to his arrival, Locksley arrived with the deck stacked against him. Still, there was absolutely no justification for whoever approved his contract to set the salary so high and buyout clauses so stupidly. I hope whoever succeeds him (I don't care if they coach high school ball now) gets half the salary, no buyouts for early termination, and handsome bonuses for outperforming.

That is all good in theory, though the market dictates something very different.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
That is all good in theory, though the market dictates something very different.
What market? UNM could have paid less to other candidates.

Even without the benefit of hindsight, the coach candidate's track record did not justify extending an offer that high (and secure). Promoting from within (defensive coordinator, special teams, towel boy) would have been much less risky, and could have been achieved in five minutes if they were running out of time.

One particularly boneheaded move among many excellent ones for UNM's athletics program.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM

295 posts, read 593,928 times
Why do people in this town complain about salaries of football coaches?

Are we that close minded. Seriously? Ever been out of New Mexico? most coaches never consider coming here because of the little we have to give. Let's be real for a sec, UNM is a major University with a major athletics program. We are not a tiny school, I mean you do the research yourself. Sure we aren't BCS material.... however,

I'd rather offer a good pay, to get a solid coach out here, so we can actually have a 5+ win season every year. We look embarrassing at a national level. We may have a good Skiing team, Soccer and basketball programs, but those don't bring in the $$$$ like football does.

Maybe, just maybe Davie can get us to where we were. But why should we have to settle for that crap? Why can't we go big and get someone who can win! That my friends, starts off with a high salary.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM

18,278 posts, read 26,011,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post

Maybe, just maybe Davie can get get us where we were? Why can't we go big and get someone who can win!
Bringing this thread up to date.

He just might Dan. The 2012 season certainly is getting off to a good start. The halftime score is New Mexico 45, Southern U. 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque