Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the UNM vs. NMSU game?
UNM- They're due. 1 33.33%
NMSU- UNM's _that_ bad. 1 33.33%
Neither- They'll find a way to tie.. at ZERO. 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM

3,435 posts, read 7,010,683 times

Advertisements

Wyoming played a tough schedule.

New Mexico - the season was over on our first game.

But anyway, Basketball is now starting...... so woooohoooo!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnative2010 View Post
Cut the coaches pay & give it to the team for better training/team building skills/recruitment - that dude is being paid wayyyy too much for a very poor performance, but then again so are many of the upper management...
Hey, they have had some pretty good years recently. No team, especially the size of UNM is going to produce winners every year.

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 32,499 times
The size of UNM is on average if not bigger then most of the MWC schools. Were not playing U of michigan or Ohio State, were playing San Diego state, air force, TCU, etc. The latter of which should prove student enrollment numbers have nothing to do with winning. Sorry nita. A good coach with a vision is what every program needs.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestx2010 View Post
The size of UNM is on average if not bigger then most of the MWC schools. Were not playing U of michigan or Ohio State, were playing San Diego state, air force, TCU, etc. The latter of which should prove student enrollment numbers have nothing to do with winning. Sorry nita. A good coach with a vision is what every program needs.
You have a point about the size comparison, they are smaller than Colo State, and San Diego State, but they also do not get the attention that will bring the best recruits to the campus either. Maybe more than size it does have to do with perception. UNM is known for it's football team and probably many high schools players do not even consider them when deciding which college to choose. I know from experience with our son and baseball, a good player will be recruited by so many schools their minds get cluttered.

I am not supporting the coach by anymeans, I just think there is more to the story than just coaching. It is like the Cowboys (who I happen to hate) blaming all the problems on the coach, yes the coach is the first to go, but it isn't all his fault...

NIta

Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,457,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You have a point about the size comparison, they are smaller than Colo State, and San Diego State, but they also do not get the attention that will bring the best recruits to the campus either. Maybe more than size it does have to do with perception. UNM is known for it's football team and probably many high schools players do not even consider them when deciding which college to choose. I know from experience with our son and baseball, a good player will be recruited by so many schools their minds get cluttered.
NIta
I have to disagree.

New Mexico is known for their BASKETBALL program - probably nationwide.

Their football program is less well known in recent years.

Generally, high school students go to programs that are successful and that enthusistically recruit them. Smart athletes are ones that go to the schoiols where they are most likely to play. For example, I would rather go to a MAC school where you get to play than be 5th or 6th on the depth charts at a Big Ten school.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have to disagree.

New Mexico is known for their BASKETBALL program - probably nationwide.

Their football program is less well known in recent years.

Generally, high school students go to programs that are successful and that enthusistically recruit them. Smart athletes are ones that go to the schoiols where they are most likely to play. For example, I would rather go to a MAC school where you get to play than be 5th or 6th on the depth charts at a Big Ten school.
I think you are being a little defensive. I am not picking on UNM. My husband worked for them part time while we lived there, I am just comparing them with the overall picture. Yes, they do have a great, well, good basketball program but I think we are talking football here. Actually the football team played in 2 bowl games in a row 3 and 4 years ago. I am just saying they are just not the calliber as other schools even in their conference. Yes, better coaching might help. I would love to see them have a winning season.

As for athletes choosing a school where they play more, this really isn't the case for basketball and football. They choose a team where they can play but also where they will be seen and noticed. This means a lot of TV exposure. Schools like UNM do not get this type of coverage.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.

Nita

Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 10,258 times
Hate reviving a dead thread but i forgot to post this long ago,Randomname958 said KU football was never quite as bad as UNM when in fact it was worse. From 2000-2008 UNM compiled a record of 58-53 including bowls, while KU had a record if 52-56. Take out the best year for both programs and UNM was 49-49 and KU was 40-55. Ouch...Also UNM has a great AD that has a vision for the all sports, volleyball just finished second in the MWC, both cross country teams went to nationals an the women finished 5th, baseball could win the MWC. This will get national attention, lobos are on the rise.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,966,688 times
New Mexico Daily Lobo :: UNM opens probe into nightclub incident

Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,220,222 times
Regarding that nightclub incident, whatever we do, we can't let this kick these guys off the team. We need every last player to maintain our almost spotless record.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,220,222 times
I know you guys were worried, but thankfully, Locksley will officially be returning for a third season, according to this breaking ABQJournal news update (http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/abqnewseeker-mainmenu-39/25597-breaking-locksley-to-return.html - broken link).

Apparently both coach and AD Paul Krebs were not happy with the two wins in two years and with any luck they'll be able to turn in a winless season in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque