Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 AM

36 posts, read 109,288 times

Advertisements

Wow, I never thought moving so far away would turn into such a big ordeal. I am picking up everything I own and asking myself, "Do I really need this in Barrow or do I just want to have it?" So far, it appears as if I am having a hard time letting go of my "treasures."

The moving company came two days ago to see what we were planning on moving. I can hardly wait until monday or tuesday and see what the estimate is. The hospital emailed me my flight arrangements already. Guess they are worried I may back out....LOL.

Still have to have a large garage sale, sell two sportscars and a pickup truck. Gues I won't be needing my GPS either up there. How the heck do people collect this much crap in such a short amount of time?

We have quite a large book collection here in Arizona which has caused us to lose a little sleep. Thankfully, I found that we can ship the books through the postal service using media mail. For a short time I thought we may have to store them here and have a box or two sent up every month. However, with the cheaper mailing rate for books, we can bring our entire library with us. Perhaps I will finally find time to read all the books.

Floyd, we are arriving May 25 at around 7:30 pm I think. I can hardly wait to meet you and have a cup of coffee at Sam & Lee's.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,663,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
Still have to have a large garage sale, sell two sportscars and a pickup truck. Gues I won't be needing my GPS either up there. How the heck do people collect this much crap in such a short amount of time?
Space has only one purpose... to be filled (with junk)! Oh, unless your GPS is an old one, I'd bring it. You might find it very interesting here; and if you ever do get a 4-wheeler or a snowmachine it would be absolutely essential.
Quote:
Floyd, we are arriving May 25 at around 7:30 pm I think. I can hardly wait to meet you and have a cup of coffee at Sam & Lee's.
Heh heh, you'll get your first kick out of Barrow the very instant you get off the plane! By May 25th we are getting pretty warm... like right about at freezing! There'll still be lots of snow in many places, but not much left in town. But the big thing is that starting May 10th the sun won't go down, so you'll get here at a time you think of as "evening", and it will be bright an shining just like morning... and that will be true until August!

Not really a problem, but I bet you'll have a hard time sleeping that first night.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,983,300 times
Not to be a kill joy, but I've shipped large amounts of books via media mail & its not cheap.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:06 PM

339 posts, read 730,523 times
Barkingowl, compared to regular parcel post, it's only about 1/2 the price. I shipped about 200 pounds of books from NY to AK, for about $100. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

The hard part is carrying the boxes once you get them
I made the mistake of packing them in boxes of 30-50 pounds each.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Not really a problem, but I bet you'll have a hard time sleeping that first night.
I doubt that I will have a hard time sleeping at all. I work 7pm until 7am and let me tell you, I can sleep anytime. I do not use black-out blinds or anything. I sleep during broad daylight. Plus, I am currently working 60+ hours a week to cover the additional cost of buying arctic gear so I will be exhausted by the time I get there.

Quote:
Not to be a kill joy, but I've shipped large amounts of books via media mail & its not cheap.
According to the US postal service, I can send 40 pound boxes of books for $16 from Phoenix to Barrow. I know the boxes will be heavy and there will be an issue trying to figure out how to get them from the post office to our new apartment. However, John (husband) says he will hire a taxi to bring them home.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,877,763 times
Just a suggestion mind you, but, I would like to mention that perhaps you would like to keep your rifles, shotguns, handguns, and perhaps bows W/broadhead arrows, and a good knife or two would not be remiss.......did I forget ammunition???.....and warm clothing???? a good pair of boots?????

Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM

989 posts, read 3,529,648 times
Make sure you bring some rubber boots!! By the time you get here the mud will be back. rubber boots for the kids too. Mud mud mud. BTW, I hope you are not expecting Barrow to be pretty, Floyd is the only one who thinks that.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,663,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Make sure you bring some rubber boots!! By the time you get here the mud will be back. rubber boots for the kids too. Mud mud mud. BTW, I hope you are not expecting Barrow to be pretty, Floyd is the only one who thinks that.
So, you've been here once (in September no less), and know all about it!

Boots aren't very important here. The only months that we ever get much rain are September for sure and maybe August. (It's nothing like the Y-K Delta for example.)

"Pretty" depends on the mind set of those looking, and an awful lot of people think this area is indeed beautiful to look at. If you don't, that's fine too.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
I have seen many, many pictures of Barrow both in the spring and in the winter and I like what I see. Phoenix is beautiful too when you first get here. Then you take your rose-colored glasses off and see a bunch of illegal immigrants, homeless people, and gangbangers. How beautiful is that?

I would much rather see miles and miles of pristine snow and ice than see the things I see here.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:50 PM

989 posts, read 3,529,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
So, you've been here once (in September no less), and know all about it!
Who said I've been to Barrow once? I live here with you Floyd... I've probably been here a lot longer than you; I've also lived in the villages years and years ago. I'm the one who sits here and watches you post all this stuff like you are the expert. Not that I mind, but most of what you say has very little to do with reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I have seen many, many pictures of Barrow both in the spring and in the winter and I like what I see.
I've seen pictures of the moon, but I don't pretend to know anything about living there, or how pretty it may or may not be.

Don't get me wrong folks, I enjoy it here, but lets not pretend its more than it is.

BTW, bring your mud boots, you will thank me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska