Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:41 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
You sell Barrow as a visual smorgasbord that will curl the toes of anyone who has the pleasure of seeing it.
Actually, I've never said anything close to that. What I have done is post pictures of Barrow. If that is what you got from the pictures, who would I be to argue that they describe a place that will curl somebody's toes.

But don't claim that I said it. YOU did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
icu2rn,

If you want to know anything about Northwest I think Floyd(s) is the one to ask. If you want to know the truth about the North Slope you better come to me, or anyone else who really knows the place. Floyd(s) sees the world through a rose colored windshield, bless Floyd(s) old heart, he means well.

I don't want to dampen your excitement about this adventure you are on, I'm just trying to insert a little reality into this thread. It's always best to hear both sides. I've seen a lot of people come and go from Barrow. I'm always amazed at how fast "I'm so excited to be here!" can turn into "What the hell did we get ourselves into?" The main thing you need to bring with you is an open mind.

Ps. Also bring your slip on mud boots, you WILL need them. We don't have sidewalks and paved roads, we just have dirt and mud... and Floyd(s).

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,648,963 times
Quote:
Ps. Also bring your slip on mud boots, you WILL need them. We don't have sidewalks and paved roads, we just have dirt and mud... and Floyd(s).
All that mud must be the reason DMS starts spraying water on the roads in early June to keep the dust down, and continues it at least into August.

Darned that mud. Guess it must be bad in Helena, where you live, eh?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM

36 posts, read 109,091 times
I really do appreciate hearing everything you have to say.....all of you. I realize that Barrow is not Eden. I do not expect it to be. What I do expect is that I will be getting away from the rat race here in the large metropolitan area known as Phoenix. I want to get back to the basics. I want to live where family values are cherished at home. I look forward to learning a completely new way of living.

We have chosen to live in the community instead of the hospital because we want to become involved in the community. I want to learn about the native culture. I want to live life at a slower pace.

I realize that there are not thousands of restaurants to choose from......I realize there may only be two brands of barbecue sauce at the store.......I know I will pay $10 for a gallon of milk. I am okay with all that.

I will bring mud boots. I will also bring winter boots. Just as I will be flip flops and house slippers to wear indoors.

So, thank all of you for your input. I am still coming in May. I look forward to the challenge of living in the arctic circle.

Sherry and John

Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu2rn View Post
I do expect is that I will be getting away from the rat race here in the large metropolitan area known as Phoenix. I want to get back to the basics. I want to live where family values are cherished at home. I look forward to learning a completely new way of living.
Sounds like you are coming with the right attitude. There are MANY things about this place that I really enjoy. I do love not having to deal with traffic and the rat race you mentioned, I could not live that way.

If you are coming in May you will see a Barrow in transition, this is when we are switching from snow cover to exposed ground. The down side is you will also see all the trash and garbage in peoples "yards". Barrow is known as the "junk yard of the arctic." In the winter its all covered with snow and ice so its not as bad.
This year we have a lot of snow so it will be here a little longer into the summer I expect.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:37 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
You should really consider visiting Barrow for at least 2 weeks before moving. No, there are not thousands of restaurants, there are about 5. I had heard of Barrow for the last 10 years, my wife is from there. I finally went and visited with our 3 kids for Kiviaq (I think that is how you spell it). It was a great event and my kids loved learning how to Dance. The residents in Barrow are very friendly, although you need to be careful whom you become friends with since there are social statuses placed upon you because of you hang out with.
Although you cannot buy booze there, you will find that drinking is an issue. I;m not sure how old you are, but I suggest leaving Barrow Parties no later than 1am - 2am. They often run until the next morning, you do not want to be at the party at those times.....they begin to get crazy.
Cabs are commonly used and are very affordable. They charge you flat rates, depending on which side of town go to. I;m sure you are fine paying the high grocery bills because you are getting a very large pay increase coming from Phoenix. You'll be shocked how quickly that extra money will be spent.
There is a ton of culture there and great friends to be made. Its a bit too small of a town from me and I have spent most of my life in Anchorage with a few years in Seattle and Austin. Barrow is either a LOVE it or HATE it kind of town. Once again, I suggest you visit for an extended period of time before moving. Its expensive to move from Barrow and I would hate for you to get stuck in a town you do not like.
Once again, the people are great, its beautiful around there and the Culture is phenomenal. GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-19-2009, 02:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Notice the smiley face? Is that all it takes to start a fight here?
Now you're getting it.

Hopefully spring is on its way...

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-19-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 04:36 PM

26 posts, read 113,824 times
I used to live in Barrow and worked at the hospital there. Barrow is a very unique-national-geographic-type experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone move all their stuff to Barrow without first visiting. I think it would be a good idea to keep things in storage somewhere else (such as Anchorage) until you know for sure that Barrow is right for you for the long term. I would recommend just taking the necessities. There are lots of interesting places in AK on the road or ferry system also which certainly would allow more freedom and keeps cost of living down. The hospital in Barrow does have some issues as do plenty of other places but I'm just saying you might want to try it out first. My opinion only- I sold everything and moved there sight unseen myself only to pay move stuff back out so I could see trees...and welll so I could go outside and see Alaska.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
I used to live in Barrow and worked at the hospital there. Barrow is a very unique-national-geographic-type experience. I wouldn't recommend anyone move all their stuff to Barrow without first visiting. I think it would be a good idea to keep things in storage somewhere else (such as Anchorage) until you know for sure that Barrow is right for you for the long term. I would recommend just taking the necessities. There are lots of interesting places in AK on the road or ferry system also which certainly would allow more freedom and keeps cost of living down. The hospital in Barrow does have some issues as do plenty of other places but I'm just saying you might want to try it out first. My opinion only- I sold everything and moved there sight unseen myself only to pay move stuff back out so I could see trees...and welll so I could go outside and see Alaska.
So how do you like Seward and how long have you been there?

Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM

26 posts, read 113,824 times
I've only been in Seward since January. I think it's hard to really get a good entire feel for a place without being there a year at least but so far I really like it. I'm enjoying trees- I can just smell them- I never realized how important they were to me. I also love the natural beauty of Seward. It's just shock and awe gorgeous here. We are still in the adjustment phase though and are looking for a better rental..... All in all I can't wait to get out and see more of AK this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska